PDA

View Full Version : Medical Requirements

Dil
05-27-08, 09:48 PM
Hello. I have a question for anyone who might have an answer for me. Im 15 turning 16 in August, and I want to join the Marine Corps for Aviation. I also have Hemophilia (blood disorder where i cant clot). I am well aware that this can be an issue, however ive heard of others with Sickle Cell and other disorders who have been allowed into the Marine Corps. Do you think I will be restricted to go even if i pass the PFTs?

There is nothing more that i want to do but join the Marine Corps. Honestly, Its been my dream for years. Any help would be much appreciated.

Marine84
05-27-08, 11:42 PM
(grabbing a couple of lawn chairs, setting up a little table with a bucket of brew on it but, somebody else gotta bring the popcorn this time)

rvillac2
05-28-08, 02:37 AM
There's nothing you can do right now. Hemophilia is a medical disqualification but there are several levels of hemophilia. I am unsure if the milder levels are waiverable. The only way to find out is to contact a MEPS doctor.

Dil
05-28-08, 02:04 PM
There's nothing you can do right now. Hemophilia is a medical disqualification but there are several levels of hemophilia. I am unsure if the milder levels are waiverable. The only way to find out is to contact a MEPS doctor.

Do you know how I can contact an MEPS doctor? I would speak to a recruiter, but the recruiter's out here are highly unreliable. Im in the MCJROTC program, and my Gunnery Sgt. who is retired and used to be a Recruiter even believes so. Id ask him for advice, but he doesnt encourage any of his cadets to join, its not his billet. I mean one way or another, I want to join. The Navy and Army, haven't got what the Marines have. Marine Corps is the only service i want to join, and I would do anything to join. Do you think my goal is effortless because I seriously wouldnt be unable to join?

rvillac2
05-28-08, 05:00 PM
I'll repeat myself. There's nothing you can do right now. You have a couple of years before you even need to worry about this. Enjoy high school and let's revisit it in your senior year.

Dil
05-28-08, 05:06 PM
Not even a medical waiver? Hmmm... unfortunate. I will have to accept I guess. bummer. Thank you for all the help.

Phantom Blooper
05-28-08, 05:56 PM
How many levels are there?

You only need one shot or piece of shrapnel to bleed out.....and if you are waiverable....you will just bleed out faster than most....before a doc or comrade can get to you! Think about what can possibly be around the bend further down the trail. :evilgrin:

Dil
05-28-08, 10:25 PM
I figured if i go into Aviation i could avoid getting shot, But even if i do get shot, im not afraid to bleed out and die. Just the satisfaction of serving with the best, and actually showing people that even with this blood disorder i can do something. People see me as this kid with a blood disorder, I want to change that. So my life goal is to help people, to show that i can actually help. The Marines has been my dream and i believe it would be a major step to my goal. Im not doing this just to prove something to someone, I WANT to do this because its my personal choice. I know i could go Navy or Airforce, but why go there, when we have the Marine Corps.