PDA

View Full Version : Vision Problems

zkay
05-27-08, 03:27 PM
Hello Marines

I wouldn't have made a new thread for this as so many came up using the search feature, but I only seem to be able to post new threads and not reply to old ones. I really only had a question along the same lines as the following thread:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45114&highlight=eyesight

My vision is very poor in my left eye, and although I can't give an exact figure I can say that I can only reliably read the first 2 lines on a vision chart from any distance using it. This is due to amblyopia or 'Lazy Eye'. The vision in my right eye is just about spot on; no blurryness, can see things clearly from a distance and close up, etc. The lazy eye is also not positioned in any strange way; eg I wouldn't be looking at someone with one eye and the wall with the other.

The problem I'm having is that I'm not sure the vision in my left eye can be corrected; I wore glasses the majority of my childhood but the only thing they helped were the headaches I'd get from not wearing any kind of correction. Assuming it cannot be corrected, would I be marked as ineligible for 0311/0321? I should also mention I've scored well on all the practice ASVAB's I've done (and I could read the screen/paper perfectly fine).

I realize I should go to the eye doctor so I could give all of you more exacts, but at the moment I can only tell you what I know. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-hopeful

Zulu 36
05-27-08, 03:44 PM
#1 - Go to an eye doctor and find out.

#2 - Talk to your recruiter after finding out the exact situation from the eye doctor.

But you're hoping for a different answer like, "Sure, come on in. Water's fine." Or something like that, eh?

Quinbo
05-27-08, 04:13 PM
The term corrected vision or correctable vision means that glasses correct your eyesight. They don't make it so that over time your vision without them gets better. So if your vision with glasses is corrected to 20/20 or there bouts then there is nothing to worry about. An eye doctor would be a good bet and he might have you walking around like a pirate for a few months. An eye patch can help diminish lazy eye.

Now I'm fumbling around with what are the correct terms. Corrected, correctable, improve, increase hmmmm.

zkay
05-28-08, 10:49 PM
Thank you both, I appreciate it. I'll be sure to see the eye doctor and talk to the recruiter.