PDA

View Full Version : Quantico - OCS

AggieDad
05-27-08, 09:40 AM
May I ask you good folks for a little help?

My son just started OCS at Quantico this week and I was trying to get some information about how a parent can attend OCS graduation? Of course he has 6 weeks to go and I am praying he gets through it all, but if he does make it I sure would like to attend the graduation.

Does anyone has any advice about OCS and how a parent can attend, what can a parent see, hotels-lodging, rental cars, or any other tips it sure would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

~Proud Dad

marinemom
05-27-08, 10:56 AM
http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

There is the web site for the OCS at Quantico Marine Base - check that for all the info that you need

MyCorps
06-02-08, 11:19 AM
AggieDad,
The link MarineMom provided does give you all the information about attending graduation.

Congratulations!! Your son is becoming one of the finest the military has to offer. Be proud of him. A Maine Corps Officer is one of the finest, most noble transitions a person could ever undertake.

Capt Harris
USMC

AggieDad
06-03-08, 08:13 AM
Thank you for the link and for the kind words. I am indeed proud of my son, he wants to be a Marine sooo bad and has spent the past 7 years to get to this point. (4 years of USMC JROTC in highschool and 3 years in the A&M Corps of Cadets til now) He told me if he doesnt make it through OCS, he is still going to enlist after graduation and earn his EGA one way or another.

Ive been doing research on Family Day and OCS Graduation, but really cant make reservations on flight & hotel accomodations until we know for certain he will make it. Im guessing if they make it through Week 5 they are going to graduate? So many questions, I may call the good folks at Quantico to see how its been handled before.

After reading all the posts on this forum, please know Im proud and grateful for EVERY Marine who wears and has worn the uniform, the parents, spouses and family members who love and support them.

Very grateful,
AggieDad

marinemom
06-03-08, 10:26 AM
You should get a packet in the mail concerning the grqaduation details, a list of nearby hotels, a parking pass etc. just like they send out at the Depots. If he isn't going to graduate, no package. If he is going to be "recycled" for some reason, you'll be informed.

May I suggest that as soon as you get your packet, you call the Globe and Laurel restaurant (the listing is in Triangle, Virginia even to it is less than 1 mile from Quantico) for reservations for a celebratory dinner.

It is the perfect place. Owned by a retired Colonel - great food, and all the Marine Corps memorabilia that you can imagine as the decor. You'll enjoy it, and so willthe brand-new butterbar.

AggieDad
06-26-08, 08:56 AM
You should get a packet in the mail concerning the grqaduation details, a list of nearby hotels, a parking pass etc. just like they send out at the Depots. If he isn't going to graduate, no package. If he is going to be "recycled" for some reason, you'll be informed.

Thanks for the information. Do you know when they send out packets? Is there a day/date when the candidates know for certain they will be going to graduate?

Ive been afraid to book a flight, as the airlines do not give refunds and two round trip tickets to DC cost +$1000 and going up even more as it gets to the graduation date. I havent flown anywhere in quite some time and had no idea airfare was this expensive!

AggieDad
06-30-08, 08:05 AM
Never received anything from OCS, but my son called and Im leaving for DC tomorrow morning and driving down to Quantico. 1st Increment graduation is July 3rd and he gets his Eagle, Globe & Anchor. :banana:

Thanks again to everyone to offered information to a newbie Marine parent.

God bless.

dannysmama
01-10-09, 09:12 PM
Can someone help me out with some info? What happens after a candidate finishes OCS?
Thanks

momfullopeace1
05-30-09, 10:29 AM
My daughter went to OCS in Quantico Va the end of May and I heard that she will get the weekend off this coming weekend which will be June 6-7. Does anyone know if this is accurate information. Someone that went last year told her this. I just need to know, because I would like to go up and visit her or take her somewhere for the weekend.

DocGreek
05-30-09, 12:00 PM
MOMFULLOF...SOMETHING!! PLEASE...When you get a chance...COMPLETELY fill out your PROFILE!!....THANK YOU!!.....DOC

momfullopeace1
05-30-09, 02:21 PM
MOMFULLOF...SOMETHING!! PLEASE...When you get a chance...COMPLETELY fill out your PROFILE!!....THANK YOU!!.....DOC

Sorry DocGreek, but I am new to this and I thought it was completed.

TTX
05-30-09, 03:51 PM
Thank you for the link and for the kind words. I am indeed proud of my son, he wants to be a Marine sooo bad and has spent the past 7 years to get to this point. (4 years of USMC JROTC in highschool and 3 years in the A&M Corps of Cadets til now) He told me if he doesnt make it through OCS, he is still going to enlist after graduation and earn his EGA one way or another.

Ive been doing research on Family Day and OCS Graduation, but really cant make reservations on flight & hotel accomodations until we know for certain he will make it. Im guessing if they make it through Week 5 they are going to graduate? So many questions, I may call the good folks at Quantico to see how its been handled before.

After reading all the posts on this forum, please know Im proud and grateful for EVERY Marine who wears and has worn the uniform, the parents, spouses and family members who love and support them.

Very grateful,
AggieDad

Your son is a Marine want to be that I am talking about. His determination and committment for past 7 years pursuing his dream to be a Marine and I am pretty sure that he will make it through OCS.

AggieDad
05-30-09, 05:44 PM
My son said they got liberty after the 3rd week.

momfullopeace1
05-30-09, 07:27 PM
Thanks AggieDad. Would that be 3 full weeks? My daughter left on a Wednesday, Are they counting that as a week? Im assuming that they are not. Where are they allowed to go when they got liberty? Will we be able to get any information about liberty?