PDA

View Full Version : Odds of getting a Medical Waiver

sickle423
05-26-08, 12:48 PM
I just recently got disqualified from MEPS because a doctor diagnosed me with something called Osteochondritis Dissecans a few years ago when i had surgury to fix a broken ankle.

I run 15 miles a week and am in exceptional physical shape, the ankle doesnt bother me a bit, just wondering if anyone knows what my odds are of getting a medical waver to go into OCS.

is this condition something i can fight or should i give up and start looking elsewhere?

Zulu 36
05-26-08, 03:49 PM
I just recently got disqualified from MEPS because a doctor diagnosed me with something called Osteochondritis Dissecans a few years ago when i had surgury to fix a broken ankle.

I run 15 miles a week and am in exceptional physical shape, the ankle doesnt bother me a bit, just wondering if anyone knows what my odds are of getting a medical waver to go into OCS.

is this condition something i can fight or should i give up and start looking elsewhere?

Have you researched this condition on-line or in medical references? If not, do so, your readings may answer your questions.

Haffner
05-26-08, 04:04 PM
15 miles a week is not very much, sorry to burst your bubble. Prepare for more than that when you hit the fleet. OCS is very physically demanding, as is bootcamp. However, my understanding from conversations I've had with Mustangs who have attended both, OCS was much more physically rigorous.

My question is: are you telling us that you got DQed from MEPS trying to get an enlisted contract? If you were DQed with that being the end result, I would go as far as to say I can't imagine you getting into OCS.

Unless, however, you can find out about a waiver for that. Your recruiter should be able to answer that for you; if he can't, he should be able to find the answer somehow. I'd recomend, if you havn't already, having a serious conversation with your recruiter about this.

Good luck.

Haffner
05-26-08, 04:05 PM
As an addon, I don't say any of that to belittle you. 15 miles a week is a great start; I just wouldn't call it exceptional, that's all.

sickle423
05-26-08, 05:53 PM
heh i know 15m a week isnt much, but its as much as my time constraints allow

anyway I am going for a commission, never have enlisted, I got DQed for the ankle condition only, that is why i am wondering what my odds are for getting a waiver