PDA

View Full Version : was going to put this in open squad bay....

Whitey
05-26-08, 11:39 AM
but i want to hear what poolees think as well.

here's something I want to see what others think.

Are Marines born or made?

personally I think Marines are born to be Marines. You have to have it in you before you even stand on those foot prints, if you don't you'll just be another of the hundreds sent home throughout recruit training and SOI.

Ub3rmike
05-26-08, 12:40 PM
That's a question that truly hinges on one's grasp of metaphysical existence. You could get into a huge chicken and the egg debate over this.

I personally degree with the notion of someone being born into a title, such as Marine. Seems to have the essence of noblesse d'epee all over it. As Petrach said, "It is more honorable to be raised to a throne than to be born to one. Fortune bestows the one, merit obtains the other."

Some people may have a natural affinity towards being a Marine in terms of physical fitness or moral character. Conversely, there is always talk about how the physical superstars eventually give up because of a weakness in their spirit. Spending 10 months in DEP, I've seen a fairshare of Privates and PFCs come back who when first shipping out, strayed from what one might consider an ideal Marine.

I believe what makes Marines is that willingness to surmount the fatalistic idea of having to be "destined" for the title, no matter how difficult that 3 month journey is.

Same goes for Marine Officers. Althogh OCS is much more selective in nature and is said to focus on looking for "leadership potential," it seems like a trait that is developed rather than inherent in one's self. The peope who DOR or get kicked out because of leadership failures are the ones who elect to be a victim of fatalism and destiny. I'd argue the only factor you may not have control over is if you NPQ due to injury.

Since everything in the Marines Corps is earned, the idea that one is "born into" the title seems odd to me.

Donut Brigade
05-26-08, 12:44 PM
First time the recruiters called me, I told told them I wasn't interested and asked them not to call again.

Here I am, nearly 8 months later, with 3 weeks to ship.

If you've got the motivation and physical ability, I don't see it as anything supernatural to make it through Marine boot. I suppose I have to find that out myself, though.

Marine84
05-26-08, 12:58 PM
Whitey honey...........it wasn't written in the stars anywhere that any of us would be Marines when we grew up and we surely weren't made until we hit MCRD. You are correct that you have to have it in you that you're ready to make the change once you get there or you won't make it.

Here.........:beer: have another beer and forget about it.

JoeInVille
05-26-08, 01:10 PM
I wasnt born wanting to become a Marine but some of the things that I have overcome in my life I believe led me to wanting to become a Marine. I dont think anyone is born a Marine but just because someone can do boot camp physically, doesnt mean that they would be willing to sign four years of their life to the Corps during war time. Not many people are willing to risk their lives for America so I do believe it is a special thing to do.

DBrown
05-26-08, 01:37 PM
I was born into a famly of Marines, but I can't say that it was my destiny or my being born into a Marine family that is making go to the Corps. If you've heard of Darwin's natural selection you could say that we (we as in poolees, Marines Past/Present) are selected by variables of moral ethics, honor, behavior, and maybe some other varibales but those are just my thoughts.

-Brown

Whitey
05-26-08, 01:43 PM
If you've heard of Darwin's natural selection you could say that we (we as in poolees, Marines Past/Present) are selected by variables of moral ethics, honor, behavior, and maybe some other varibales but those are just my thoughts.

-Brown

and by that natural selection thats where i derive my point that we are different from birth. Being brought into this world with something many people will never have to earn the title.

DBrown
05-26-08, 01:48 PM
and by that natural selection thats where i derive my point that we are different from birth. Being brought into this world with something many people will never have to earn the title. Yes, I suppose we are different from birth, but then again there are those few who can raise to the occasion without being catergorized in the "Natural Selection" group. All-in-all though I do agree with you in saying that we are born "differently" then everybody else.

-Brown

Donut Brigade
05-26-08, 01:59 PM
Yes, I suppose we are different from birth, but then again there are those few who can raise to the occasion without being catergorized in the "Natural Selection" group. All-in-all though I do agree with you in saying that we are born "differently" then everybody else.

-Brown

I'd suggest refrain from saying 'we' until you've made it. So far you're just another nasty civilian, hop in line to be a maggot recruit. Have a good Memorial Day.

DBrown
05-26-08, 02:10 PM
I'd suggest refrain from saying 'we' until you've made it. So far you're just another nasty civilian, hop in line to be a maggot recruit. Have a good Memorial Day.
If you've read my previous post you would see what I mean by we. Thank you for your input though.

Whitey
05-26-08, 02:13 PM
hey now no flaming here.

Donut Brigade
05-26-08, 02:55 PM
My mistake DBrown, didn't mean to come off as a flame.

I understand what you meant now.

DBrown
05-26-08, 03:06 PM
My mistake DBrown, didn't mean to come off as a flame.

I understand what you meant now.
No problem Donut Brigade, I apologize too if my response came off as a flame. Back on topic nobody else has any input on this?

-Brown

yellowwing
05-26-08, 03:35 PM
Maybe. Looking back there were many indicators on joining the Marine Corps. The desire to seek challenges and excell was always there before I even talked to a Recruiter. Once I did it seemed like a natural course of action.

PatriotGirl422
05-26-08, 03:38 PM
I was born to be a Marine. I didn't always know it (I used to be against women in the military lol). But I did always know that I had something inside me that was telling me to do something great. I always have loved America and loved the military, and then I realized one day that it was what I was meant to do. After I realized that I was going to be a Marine, I knew I was where I was supposed to be.

skaterjon89
05-26-08, 03:41 PM
I agree with a few others, I wasn't born to do this, but things I have encountered in life, experiences and the like, have led me into this path to be come one of The Few. The Proud. Sometimes I sit and think "Hmmm...maybe if I would said yes to this would I be in this same spot?" Yes some choices I have chose in my life weren't the greatest of things, but it got me here, and here is where I'm proud/glad to be...

Big Jim
05-26-08, 03:55 PM
Without knowing what I needed, I searched a few places before finding the Marine Corps. I looked into the Army, the Navy but the Marine Corps just seemed to fit right for me and my personality...there is no better description than that. Bootcamp was a really enlightening experience after being brow beaten for 3 months!! I came out wanting to be the best Marine ever and I'll NEVER leave!! i don't think there is a recruit to come out of bootcamp who doesn't believe he is 10 feet tall and bulletproof!! But 12 years later...I did leave...and I never regretted a decision so much than that one in my entire life. It was the right one at the time...but I felt, back then, like a part of me will always be missing, like I don't belong without it somehow.

But, working for the Ohio's State Corrections has helped alot...I found camraderie and brotherhood with fellow Correction Officers just like our beloved Corps...even met some Marines there and even made some lifelong friends. Coming up through the ranks in that organization has made me realize the most important thing ever...without a doubt the Marine Corps has made me who I am...I always knew I needed the Corps and knew I needed to find something. The Marine Corps definitley makes people into Marines...it lays upon you on how successful a Marine you will become...so make the most of everything you do while in the Corps. The Marine Corps was good to me...only because I gave 110% at everything I did...thats the key to succes in the Marine Corps just the same as it's the same in the private sector. Even when your time to possibly get out of the Marine Corps comes...you will take these values and attributes and the honor everyone so desperately looks for in an employee and a friend....

Marine84
05-26-08, 03:59 PM
But, working for the Ohio's State Corrections has helped alot...I found camraderie and brotherhood with fellow Correction Officers just like our beloved Corps...even met some Marines there and even made some lifelong friends.

And, just like the Corps, crazy b!tches EVERYWHERE! ;)

AndreBlanks
05-26-08, 08:04 PM
Without knowing what I needed, I searched a few places before finding the Marine Corps. I looked into the Army, the Navy but the Marine Corps just seemed to fit right for me and my personality...there is no better description than that...without a doubt the Marine Corps has made me who I am...

I agree with Big Jim. I started seriously thinking about the military when my brother joined the Navy. His letters made me feel like I was missing a once in a lifetime opporutiny, and I had tried school and it's not for me. Without schooling though I felt like I'd be stuck where I was as far as jobs go. The Navy is right for my brother, but the way my personality is--the Marine Corp seemed right for me. The Marine Corp isn't the right choice for everbody, and it depends a lot on what kind of person you are/what kind of personality (which I would say is determined more by nurture than nature) you have.

HurricaneRJ
05-26-08, 09:11 PM
Poolee Blanks.

First it's Sgt. Jim (unless told otherwise)

Second it's Marine Corps.

dhenderson88
05-26-08, 09:13 PM
we are born "differently" then everybody else.

When I was born the Three Stooges where on the T.V. in the delievery room...is that different enough?

Hologram
05-26-08, 11:27 PM
Marines are made, plain and simple. One is not a Marine until he is handed that Eagle Globe and Anchor on the Parade Deck.

However, I agree with you that you must be born as Marine material.

This argument is merely a thing of semantics.

davblay
05-26-08, 11:30 PM
Whitey your post makes a lot of us old salts stop and think, that's for sure. But we are on this earth for such a short period of time and we have so litttle say in how it turns out while we are here. However we live each day by choice, that is we make choices every day that will affect the rest of our lives. The word Choice is used rather freely in our culture, but choices mold our lives!

As far as being born to be a Marine......well I think that is also a choice we make somewhere in our lives! The out come of our choices change daily as well...there are so many variables. I believe Albert Einstien said it best when he said "the past is etched in stone and can not be changed, but the future is like a tree with 1000s of branchs", the problem is we never know what branch we are gonna travel, until we get to it and there are 1000s to choose from every day!

I will venture to say that most (if not all) Marines that got out, meant to stay at least 20 years (or more), when they first enlisted! But CHOICES, changed that for us! Choices are made, in most cases, because of greed or money (what's best for me)!

BORN TO BE A MARINE? I would say there is a remote possibility that that may be true. If you look at the stats on retention, you'll see that only a very small percentage stays in the Corps more than one enlistment! There are those chosen few that choose to stay in the Corps and family be damned! It is a lifestyle that they prefer and not even a loving spouse will, or can, change thier mind about it! Divorce rates are high in the Corps, families struggle while in the Corps, Children suffer because you are in the Corps.......the list can go on and on. Which leads back to my first word, CHOICES!

On behalf of all the old salts in the world I would like to thank you new Marines for your sacrifice for our great country. To you poolees, Thank you for your effort to become one of us, and to the wannabee's, thank you for considering our beloved Corps!

Whitey my PFC friend, there is no cut answer to your question my friend, sorry.

That's my 2 cents,

Semper Fi,

Dave

Big Jim
05-26-08, 11:52 PM
I agree with Big Jim. I started seriously thinking about the military when my brother joined the Navy. His letters made me feel like I was missing a once in a lifetime opporutiny, and I had tried school and it's not for me. Without schooling though I felt like I'd be stuck where I was as far as jobs go. The Navy is right for my brother, but the way my personality is--the Marine Corp seemed right for me. The Marine Corp isn't the right choice for everbody, and it depends a lot on what kind of person you are/what kind of personality (which I would say is determined more by nurture than nature) you have.

IF YOU'RE A POOLIE THEN THE PROPER WAY TO ADDRESS ME IS SERGEANT JIM, OK? GET USED TO BEING MADE TO LEARN BY THE NUMBERS...ALL POOLIES AT LEAST KNOW THEIR RANK STRUCTURES...GOOD CHOICE ON YOUR BRANCH OF SERVICE...

Whitey
05-27-08, 03:19 PM
Whitey your post makes a lot of us old salts stop and think, that's for sure. But we are on this earth for such a short period of time and we have so litttle say in how it turns out while we are here. However we live each day by choice, that is we make choices every day that will affect the rest of our lives. The word Choice is used rather freely in our culture, but choices mold our lives!

As far as being born to be a Marine......well I think that is also a choice we make somewhere in our lives! The out come of our choices change daily as well...there are so many variables. I believe Albert Einstien said it best when he said "the past is etched in stone and can not be changed, but the future is like a tree with 1000s of branchs", the problem is we never know what branch we are gonna travel, until we get to it and there are 1000s to choose from every day!

I will venture to say that most (if not all) Marines that got out, meant to stay at least 20 years (or more), when they first enlisted! But CHOICES, changed that for us! Choices are made, in most cases, because of greed or money (what's best for me)!

BORN TO BE A MARINE? I would say there is a remote possibility that that may be true. If you look at the stats on retention, you'll see that only a very small percentage stays in the Corps more than one enlistment! There are those chosen few that choose to stay in the Corps and family be damned! It is a lifestyle that they prefer and not even a loving spouse will, or can, change thier mind about it! Divorce rates are high in the Corps, families struggle while in the Corps, Children suffer because you are in the Corps.......the list can go on and on. Which leads back to my first word, CHOICES!

On behalf of all the old salts in the world I would like to thank you new Marines for your sacrifice for our great country. To you poolees, Thank you for your effort to become one of us, and to the wannabee's, thank you for considering our beloved Corps!

Whitey my PFC friend, there is no cut answer to your question my friend, sorry.

That's my 2 cents,

Semper Fi,

Dave

you know i'll always hold your oppinion and advice in very high regaurd

bgsuwoody
05-27-08, 05:22 PM
I was born amazing...so I would say the Marine Corps has made me an amazing son of a *****

ianmusto
05-27-08, 07:11 PM
Some of the best Marines were some of the worst people. An EGA can make everything turn around. I never considered myself a bad person, but i'll always try to become the best Marine.

Marine84
05-27-08, 08:00 PM
I was born amazing...

I'd say ;)

YMPfcDeremer
05-27-08, 10:22 PM
I believe that Marines are made on Parris Island or in San Diego. However, some individuals are born with the qualities required to be a Marine (determination, pride, perseverence), so I guess it's a little of both.

ianmusto
05-27-08, 11:38 PM
I know Marines who were scum of the earth, drug dealers, theifs, some even worse and they turned out to be some of the best Marines I know, so how could an individual like that be born with such crappy qualities but a Marine at the same time? Marines are made not born. You ask me to run at 100 insurgents with nothing when I was a civilian and i'd say "you're out of your mind" now it's let me at em.

Switchfire
05-28-08, 12:14 AM
I like the post Sgt. Jim. It makes me think about the quote "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985