PDA

View Full Version : Why the Marine Corps?

whitt009
05-25-08, 09:36 PM
That's a question I've been fighting a lot from family I've told of my interests. It's always "Air Force Air Force" if any military at all. But I told them I didn't want to make a half-assed decision. My whole life has been filled with empty accomplishments. To say I'm a man...well...it just doesn't feel that way. I haven't done anything for anyone, and little for myself.

So, what's the right answer for me? The Marines Corps...THE end-all, be-all of the United States Armed Forces. Something that will change me as a person, much for the better. Somewhere I can contribute to a larger, important picture and come away with that sense of accomplishment.

But, is there a right answer? Is there a good answer? I'm not sure, but mine feels good enough for me. What do you think?

BR34
05-25-08, 10:05 PM
The only thing that matters is that you made the choice you wanted to make. If it's what you want, what we think shouldn' matter to you. Enjoy your decision.

bucksgted
05-25-08, 10:28 PM
Tony, think about this for just a moment -- there is NO answer to a "why" question. Folks who ask them don't really want an answer or already have a preconcieved answer. "Why" questions are argumentive. Now if those same folks said to you, "Help me understand your reasons for wanting to go to The Marine Corps", you or I could espouse for several minutes or even hours in response. This may sound trite or tired, but there are really only two kinds of folks that understand a Marine or the Marine Corps - 1) a Marine and 2) the enemy. Everybody else has a second hand opinion.

About this time of year, 52 years ago, I was just about to graduate from boot camp. The things I learned there and the remainder of my Marine Corps service have stood the test of time and are still applicable today. Honor, Courage and Committment never go out of style. I am convinced that "The Change is Forever!!"

skaterjon89
05-26-08, 03:26 AM
You find out everyone has a different answer to why they joined, everyones answer might be along the same lines, but some how tweaked a little. I'm all for the Honor, Courage, and Committment, but I also wanted to shoot stuff and blow stuff up and be that humble badass. Also for discipline and bragging rights, uniform, pride, fitness club, lots of reasons, you will NEVER be the same. Yes I'm fresh out of boot camp, but I LOVE THIS ****!!!!!!!!

rvillac2
05-26-08, 03:34 AM
holy cow, Jon. You're back!
Welcome home, Marine.

skaterjon89
05-26-08, 03:39 AM
Oh yes yes I am, I posted something on it, but have been living up my 10 days leave that I usually am to drunk, to tired, not even at my house to ever post on these beloved forums. I took a gamble with the Ground Option/ Combat support for 0861, a ***** that I didn't get it, but I got 1812 and Blowing up **** is one reason I came to the Marine Corps, and looks like to me it will happen :) so I'm happy :) Man it feels great to be called Marine... I honestly love hearing that...

MyCorps
05-26-08, 09:06 AM
That's a question I've been fighting a lot from family I've told of my interests. It's always "Air Force Air Force" if any military at all. But I told them I didn't want to make a half-assed decision. My whole life has been filled with empty accomplishments. To say I'm a man...well...it just doesn't feel that way. I haven't done anything for anyone, and little for myself.

So, what's the right answer for me? The Marines Corps...THE end-all, be-all of the United States Armed Forces. Something that will change me as a person, much for the better. Somewhere I can contribute to a larger, important picture and come away with that sense of accomplishment.

But, is there a right answer? Is there a good answer? I'm not sure, but mine feels good enough for me. What do you think?

There is your answer. You are 22. No one person can tell you want you need to do with your life. Of course the Marines here want to see you make the commitment and earn the right to the brotherhood. I see you have some college. How close to graduating are you? If you are set on joining the Marines, then start asking whether you want to go enlisted or as an Officer.
Any other questions, feel free to drop me a line.

davblay
05-26-08, 09:34 AM
Oh yes yes I am, I posted something on it, but have been living up my 10 days leave that I usually am to drunk, to tired, not even at my house to ever post on these beloved forums. I took a gamble with the Ground Option/ Combat support for 0861, a ***** that I didn't get it, but I got 1812 and Blowing up **** is one reason I came to the Marine Corps, and looks like to me it will happen :) so I'm happy :) Man it feels great to be called Marine... I honestly love hearing that...

Jon as your Mentor, let me give you one final piece of advise. Now that you are a member of our brotherhood you will find that (shall we say) 10% are unhappy with the Corps! Stay the Fvck away from those sh!tbirds, they will drag you down with them and ruin your career early! Mix with the motivated Marines and stay with them, they will never steer you wrong! They are there for the same reasons you are....to be the best of the best!

You will soon see that the Corps is not like boot camp after SOI/MCT. Once you hit the Fleet you will better understand that you job is very important to the defense of this great nation and country. You will have days that you will wonder WTF, but then remember what you said today and why you enlisted in the first place. Some days will be long and hard, some slow and boring, but pay attention and learn everything you can, the instructors know what they are doing and they're job is to teach you to stay alive in a cambat situation!

It won't take you long to realize that the Corps is more than a pretty uniform...oh yes.....that uniform is just that.....a uniform! The Marine is inside it! It's been a long tim since this old Marine could wear his size 30 reg Blues, hell I wonder if I could wear a size 44 Reg now, But the Marine is still inside of me and will be until I die! Then it will be engraved on my headstone for all eternity!

One last bit of wit Jon, when you get to thinking that the Corps ain't for you, that you are bored, look ahead into the future and see all of us old farts that wished we had stayed in! Don't make the same mistakes we did. OK?

Semper Fi, my younger brother, It was a pleasure writing to you in Boot camp. I hope you got some sort of motovation from at least one of my letters that helped you thru one more day while you were there.

Good luck Marine and may Chesty be there to guide you through out your career!

Dave

bgsuwoody
05-26-08, 09:43 AM
Jon as your Mentor, let me give you one final piece of advise. Now that you are a member of our brotherhood you will find that (shall we say) 10% are unhappy with the Corps! Stay the Fvck away from those sh!tbirds, they will drag you down with them and ruin your career early! Mix with the motivated Marines and stay with them, they will never steer you wrong! They are there for the same reasons you are....to be the best of the best!

You will soon see that the Corps is not like boot camp after SOI/MCT. Once you hit the Fleet you will better understand that you job is very important to the defense of this great nation and country. You will have days that you will wonder WTF, but then remember what you said today and why you enlisted in the first place. Some days will be long and hard, some slow and boring, but pay attention and learn everything you can, the instructors know what they are doing and they're job is to teach you to stay alive in a cambat situation!

It won't take you long to realize that the Corps is more than a pretty uniform...oh yes.....that uniform is just that.....a uniform! The Marine is inside it! It's been a long tim since this old Marine could wear his size 30 reg Blues, hell I wonder if I could wear a size 44 Reg now, But the Marine is still inside of me and will be until I die! Then it will be engraved on my headstone for all eternity!

One last bit of wit Jon, when you get to thinking that the Corps ain't for you, that you are bored, look ahead into the future and see all of us old farts that wished we had stayed in! Don't make the same mistakes we did. OK?

Semper Fi, my younger brother, It was a pleasure writing to you in Boot camp. I hope you got some sort of motovation from at least one of my letters that helped you thru one more day while you were there.

Good luck Marine and may Chesty be there to guide you through out your career!

Dave

BINGO!

Finger
05-26-08, 09:51 AM
My answer was always simple. If you are going to be a bear, you might as well be a grizzly. :evilgrin:

:iwo: :flag:

S/F
Finger

skaterjon89
05-26-08, 03:35 PM
1st Sgt. I really like that :)

Yeah our DI's told us all the time to stay away from the sh!tbirds when we hit the fleet and that the sh!tbirds when they do hit the fleet they will be in for a rude awakening. They also told us that we will have those days where were like "Damn..." but to just stay on track.

Trust me your letters were a Godsend, me and ZaCo use to be like "DID YOU GET YOUR LETTER???" and the one with the Seargent poem or something like that reminded us of our All Seargent Team of DI's :)

JordanB
05-28-08, 03:49 AM
Its really what you want to get from the military, if you want to be the best trained and have the most pride than the Marine Corps is the only way to go. Nothing wrong with the Airfarse when compaired to say the avarage civilian, but compaired to us them's some skate'in mother ****ers!