PDA

View Full Version : Finally making the comittment.

srinaldo86
05-22-08, 07:23 PM
I've been debating on joing the Corp for over 10 months now and almost on my 22nd birthday I have decided it is the path I would love to take. Now I'm just curious what I need to expect, how I should prepare, and any other possible advice I could recieve would be much appreciated. (Obviously run, pushups, situps, and pullups until I cant stand it anymore.)
My intentions are to persue CFR because it is what I have been doing in the civilian world for the past 2 years, and it is what I love.
I currently need to take my MEP and my ASVAP; both are scheduled for June 2nd & 3rd. My recruiter is planning on sending me out in October or November. Obviously I have some time to prepare and would like to do everything in my power in that time frame to make myself the best there is the day I show up.

Thank you in advance,
Rinaldo.

jrhd97
05-22-08, 07:40 PM
Rinaldo,
There is much to expect. To get prepared for boot camp checkout the " Ask a Marine " and " Poolee " forums. A lot of good information there from general knowledge to physical fitness. If you have a question utilize the search function, you will probably find your answer, if not ask away. There are a lot of Marines here who are more than willing to help or share advice and experiences. Don't let the rash, crude and sometimes rude responses you will get from time to time, for they are nothing like what you will get at Parris Island.
Don't be afraid to ask your recruiter any questions you have. Participate in as many Poolee functions as you can.
Good luck!

srinaldo86
05-22-08, 08:45 PM
I'll try to browse around more to find my answers.

Rash and crude will not bother me. (Not to sound cocky/arrogant but I've lived in that type enviroment for 4 years now. :D)

My recruiter has been great, very straight forward, very helpful. I've heard less bull from him than I have from Highschool science teachers. I just hate to bug the ever living marine out of him. I'm getting VERY excited and questions continously pop into my head.

By the way, I see you're a fellow NCer, I suppose rather than Hoorah perhaps a YeeHaw is in order?

Anyways, thank you jrhd97.

srinaldo86
05-22-08, 08:49 PM
For instance a question that just poped into my head is a height issue...

I'm 6'6" which I understand is considerably taller than your average marine, so I'm curious what kind of effect could that have on my career?

Big Jim
05-22-08, 08:50 PM
Here's a little more help...look for answers to your questions by thoroughly searching any forums with questions already asked and answered, ok? Not that we won't answer your questions its just that we answer these same questions every day and I do believe every possible question has been asked and answered here on this forum. So good luck with your preparation and in finding whatever you may need. If you can't find it...go ahead and ask, ok?

Big Jim
05-22-08, 08:53 PM
For instance a question that just poped into my head is a height issue...

I'm 6'6" which I understand is considerably taller than your average marine, so I'm curious what kind of effect could that have on my career?

Not much...just certain jobs may not be comfortable because of your height and that will be taken into account. but otherwise...not much effect at all. Afterall, you aren;t the first guy that tall in the Marine Corps. It becomes an issue when a person is 6' 10" or above or 4' 10" or below. I think those are the height limits. The other effect is your weight is relative to your height...I forget what it is for 6' 6"...you can ask your recruiter, ok? Hope that answered your question!!!

Marine84
05-22-08, 09:32 PM
Yeah...........at 6'6" I would imagine driving a tank or something with limited space in it would be pretty dang uncomfortable for you.

ecfree
05-22-08, 09:37 PM
Forget about,fighter pilot.:D

Marine84
05-22-08, 09:41 PM
Forget about,fighter pilot.:D

Now you know they don't come in here wanting to swing with the Wing! LOL!

MyCorps
05-23-08, 09:47 AM
Never worry about asking your recruiter too many questions. First, it's his job. Second, it's your career.