PDA

View Full Version : Having a lot of trouble choosing a MOS. Any advice?

chaostheroy
05-22-08, 09:11 AM
I have been the recruiters twice. I am currently dropping weight and to enlist. He told me outright. Lose the weight, show me you can do that and then come back to enlist and I will do what I can for you. I thought that was fair and so I have lost 12 of the 30 pounds needed so far to enlist.

I talked to my Recruiter about going 0300, and he actually said I should try to go for something else, Im going to be 30 in a few months and he recommended against it because of that. He was an 0300 and that was at 18 and it kicked HIS ass, in his words. I either want 0300 or MP, as I would like to go into Law Enforcement at some point if I choose to do four years only in the Marines.

He said I could go open contract and see what I get, but many people I have talked to about it including Marines said to NEVER sign and open contract. I dont really care what my job might be. I simply want the chance to earn the title Marine.

For all of that, I wouldnt mind having something I would like for four years, if not I would still give it my best. I have had plenty of jobs I hated in the civilian world and I did those well too. I just dont want to end up where I might not do well and let others down because of it.

Thanks for any advice or help.

OB MSG
05-22-08, 09:30 AM
As for letting others down in a job you might not like, that is just you giving up. If you try to do the best job you can and still don't like it, find other avenues to keep you occupied outside of the job.

That being said, pick an MOS that you think you are going to like, something that you will want to get out the rack to go to. I chose the 2800 field (Electronics and Calibrations) because I like to work on electronics and I looked at it as problem/puzzle solving, which I also like to do.

Keep losing the weight, don't go open contract (that's a crap shoot, with long odds), and pick what you want. If you will be happy in 0300 then go for it. Because of your age you may have trouble at ITB (Infantry Training Battalion) but if you put your all into it you should be able to make it.

Just think about what you truly want and go for it, that's what most of us did.

chaostheroy
05-22-08, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the advice. Im proud of losing weight so far and my recruiter is pleased as well. He called me a couple of days ago to follow up and when I told him, he was pleased.

I figure another 5 to 6 weeks and I will have made weight to enlist. So its day by day right now for me.

AL49BGN
05-22-08, 12:00 PM
I would also advise you against going open contract.Find an MOS you feel you would like.I was infantry and went through Infantry School at the age of 18 and didn't find it any harder then Parris Island.However if I had to hump around Penndleton at 30 years of age that might have been a different story.I do remember having a fellow student in my platoon that was in his late 20's and he was a squad leader.It all depends on your committment and physical conditions.Just continue losing weight and getting in shape.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-22-08, 12:24 PM
If you want to be an 0300, then be an 0300. Down deep you know if you have what it takes or not. I'm over 30 and wouldn't hesitate to do it today because I know I could do it.

That said, being an MP wouldn't be a totally poor decision either. If it is something that interests you, then consider it. But remember, there are Marines from every MOS field serving as law enforcement officers. I know a guy that turned wrenches on Harriers that is currently a Sgt. on a local SWAT team. Another police officer that I shoot with frequently was a supply guy in the Marine Corps. The title of Marine helps you get hired, the MOS is somewhat secondary.