PDA

View Full Version : Getting Stationed

sec9
05-20-08, 11:40 PM
Once all the training is complete, do Marines have any say on where the become stationed? How does that whole process work?

jrhd97
05-20-08, 11:45 PM
You can request, but typicaly it goes by needs of the Corps.

sec9
05-21-08, 12:36 PM
so is it just like you put your top 3 choices down and hope for the best? Did you guys get your choices on where you requested?

Big Jim
05-21-08, 12:45 PM
Its called a dreamsheet...you choose East coast, west coast or overeseas in Japan...you don't always get your choice cause the Corps will put you where they need you. But, they'll try and accomodate you.

OB MSG
05-21-08, 01:10 PM
When I was in MOS school, about a month or two out from Graduation they came around and told us to fill out our "Dream-sheets". They also gave us a list of the bases we could put down and the regions, as Big Jim said, it was East, West or Overseas. My SSgt told us not to bother putting Hawaii, so I put East, West and Oki. I didn't care where they sent me, I just wanted to get to the fleet. I ended up in Hawaii at K-Bay, but alot of guys went to the big ones, LeJune, Pendleton and Oki.

sec9
05-21-08, 01:15 PM
Right on, thanks for replies. Pretty cool you got Hawaii OB.

OB MSG
05-21-08, 01:26 PM
Yeah, K-bay's a good time, but if you're there for a three-year hitch then it can get old. I had guys start to get island fever, they wanted to get back to the mainland bad. Most people can handle it and pass the time constructively, but there's always the 10%. I stayed there for two of my three years, the rest of my time in the Corps was in MSG duty.

Depending on what your MOS is, you may be on and off the islands so things might not get old, but if you do go there, find some fun things to do, some good people to do them with and have fun. If you stay busy time almost always flies.

Same can be said about Oki. I had a WM friend who went there and she was good-to-go for a while, but it got to her. She became a PT nut which almost put her in the infirmary.

Hell, come on here if go to any of these places and ever need advise, we'll square you away!

sec9
05-21-08, 01:52 PM
I can see how island fever would get to some people, if it will get to me, well I will have to wait and see. I was born and raised in Southern California and San Diego is one of my favorite cities so Pendleton would be my first choice, on the other hand I am eager to see new places as well.

OB MSG
05-21-08, 01:59 PM
I thought about getting stationed close to home, but then I thought, "I'm trying to get out and see the world. I can't do that from my own backyard." If you really want to go to Pendleton, then that's your decision, but if you want to see other places, even just here around the states, put in for somewhere else.

Quinbo
05-22-08, 07:46 PM
My first stop in the fleet was Hawaii. There was no dream sheet. I just was handed a set of orders right before graduation from ITS that said I was going to freakin Hawaii wa hooo.

Saw all the islands except Nihiihau (sp?) while there. There is more to do there than there is time to do it but that goes for bout any duty station if you get out and explore. I re-enlisted to stay in Hawaii and the last thing I said was no more PTA for me ha-ha. Would you believe barracks duty sent my unhappy butt back to PTA? (PTA = Pohakaloa training area on the big island)

Would rather train on the moon. Quanset huts, it snows there, lava dogs to eat your boots. You are there wondering if you are actually still in Hawaii. Most of the time it was a 30 day evolution with maybe a weekend in either Kona or Helo for libbo. The rest of the time was in the field.

rvillac2
05-23-08, 01:04 AM
LOL. PTA = 29Palms West.