PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to USNA

Auwe76
05-20-08, 03:28 PM
Just wondering, as I'm weighing my choices.

(Assuming that I made it through Recruit Training, and assuming I did well enough) Would an application to the USNA be more based on your actions during your time in, or would the board still be concerned with your High School record? What I mean is, if your behavior during your military career were good(great), would they be willing to overlook lackluster performance in high school?

Just wondering and Thanks for your time.

Respectfully,
A. West

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-20-08, 03:55 PM
It can help, but you still have to have the grades to get in. If you mean you have like a 3.7 (non-weighted) GPA, then it can help. If you have a 2.0 don't hold your breath.

Auwe76
05-20-08, 04:35 PM
Okay, Supposing that after high school, I attend a year of college, and the grades I get there are good, even though my high school grades werent so good(to put it nicely), would they still focus on the high school? Or would the most recent achievment override the former lack thereof?

I ask because this is the situation I am in, and If possible AT ALL, I would much prefer to go to the USNA than say, Stanford or Berkeley. But If it isn't possible, than I don't want to enlist only to find out that I cant get an education where I wanted to.

Anyways, lol, thanks for the response.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-20-08, 05:16 PM
The mission of the Marine Corps is not to try to help you get into a college you want to go to. Sorry, but if that is your reason for enlisting you're barking up the wrong tree. Even if I could tell you that the requirements for enlisted people are much lower and that they would only look at your college scores, there still is no promise you would be let in. The Naval Academy turns away countless people that are well qualified every year. If you are only enlisting to try to make it to USNA, then the Marine Corps is in trouble if you don't make it- which chances are you will not.

That said, there are other options. If you've done well in college there are many enlisted commissioning programs out there. You could take advantage of many of those. There is also NAPS which serves to strengthen the academic background of enlisted personnel (as well as some civilians). This is where you may be in luck- but there are no promises. If you enlist the only thing you are promised is a trip to boot camp.

Auwe76
05-20-08, 05:30 PM
Sorry if I gave the impression that my goal was to use the Corps for education, It is not. My first and foremost goal is to become a Marine.

And thank you for the responses, I very much appreciate it.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-20-08, 06:18 PM
Aw, then I misunderstood.

Best of luck to you.