PDA

View Full Version : Advice from an Ironman

ZaCo
05-20-08, 12:47 AM
I'm back from boot and ready/willing to answer any questions people have about what boot camp is like, what to expect, how to best prepare yourself, and anything else you might want to know. I will not give away boot camp secrets and such, you will have to find out about that trash when you get there.

Boot camp for me was fun. I was in very good shape going into it. I was in PLT. 2163/Hotel, the all Sergeant Platoon. I was a squad leader, head scribe, platoon/company Ironman/High PFTer at 299 (the Chevron says PFC Cormier at a 300, but he'll be the first to tell you that he only scored a 285), expert on the range, honor platoon (we also had Company Honorman), and recieved a meritorious promotion to PFC.

Boot camp is what you make it. If you want to just get by or slip through the cracks, you'll get away with that trash. If you do and I see you in the fleet, I'll punch you in the face. You can probably miss more than half of the training days and still graduate. If you do and I see you in the fleet, I'll drop kick you. If you work your a$$ off day in and day out you'll be reaping the benefits in the end. You'll know that you are a Marine and not a civilian in a Marine's uniform.

So ask away about anything, even what it's like to be a squad leader or what it takes to be a guide. I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

God bless,
PFC Cory

AggieMoll
05-20-08, 12:56 AM
First off congrats, second what is it like to be squad leader and how do you get selected for it?

JoeInVille
05-20-08, 01:10 AM
Yea congrats! What do you mean, you can just not PT!???Wow! Im not an outstanding Pter but I will work my ass off and do what im told. I just dont understand how you can get away with not doing anything.

ZaCo
05-20-08, 01:12 AM
Thank you. Sqaud leader, truthfully, sucks! You will be quarterdecked for everbody elses mistakes. You are responsible for getting things done and done right. Attention to details is the biggest thing for a squad leader. You hold a lot of responsibilty and will have absolutely no free time or time to sqaure away your trash. You have 8 hours of sleep every night and a sqaud leader gets used to doing their own trash during that time. You are the example to follow, so you must conduct yourself properly all day everyday, no matter how sick or tired you are. Don't expect to have any friends besides your fellow squad leaders. You are expected to be the drill instructors when they are not around. It's a tough position and I was also the scribe, so I was pretty much stressed out all the time, but stressed out at how stupid recruits can be. It's tough, but worth it in the end. I'm glad I did it.

You become a squad leader by volunteering for it. Its that simply, being able to hold that billet is up to you.

If you want to know anything else about being a squad leader, just send me a message and I'll answer it.

ZaCo
05-20-08, 01:16 AM
The people who miss the training days are the ones who spend all their time at sick bay. And yes, you will have those pieces of crap in your platoon. Don't be like them, EVER!!!

You don't need to be a great PTer. As long as you give it your all, you earn my respect. Respect is everything, like everything else in boot camp, you have to earn it.

JoeInVille
05-20-08, 01:23 AM
Wow...thats is rediculous...how could they hand them the EGA if they spend that much time in the sick bay. Oh, dont worry, I wont be like them.

ZaCo
05-20-08, 01:29 AM
They just do, some will get dropped to MRP, but there are those who slip through the cracks. It's sad but true.

davblay
05-20-08, 01:31 AM
I'm back from boot and ready/willing to answer any questions people have about what boot camp is like, what to expect, how to best prepare yourself, and anything else you might want to know. I will not give away boot camp secrets and such, you will have to find out about that trash when you get there.

Boot camp for me was fun. I was in very good shape going into it. I was in PLT. 2163/Hotel, the all Sergeant Platoon. I was a squad leader, head scribe, platoon/company Ironman/High PFTer at 299 (the Chevron says PFC Cormier at a 300, but he'll be the first to tell you that he only scored a 285), expert on the range, honor platoon (we also had Company Honorman), and recieved a meritorious promotion to PFC.

Boot camp is what you make it. If you want to just get by or slip through the cracks, you'll get away with that trash. If you do and I see you in the fleet, I'll punch you in the face. You can probably miss more than half of the training days and still graduate. If you do and I see you in the fleet, I'll drop kick you. If you work your a$$ off day in and day out you'll be reaping the benefits in the end. You'll know that you are a Marine and not a civilian in a Marine's uniform.

So ask away about anything, even what it's like to be a squad leader or what it takes to be a guide. I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

God bless,
PFC Cory
Welcome home Marine, now follow this link and get squared away, you ain't a poolee any more!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62292

Dave

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-20-08, 01:39 AM
Just to point out, there are those that use sick bay as a way to try to skate through. There are also those that are actually hurt. If you have a problem, and I mean a real problem, don't try to be the tough guy and get through it. I did that with cellulitis in my foot. At one point the doc thought they were going to have to amputate the stupid thing because it was still spreading despite a serious course of antibiotics. I ended up spending 30 minutes a day getting an IV of some really strong stuff to kill the infection. (Luckily that was during team week I guess.)

So, do what you need to do- don't be stupid just to be tough.

yellowwing
05-20-08, 01:41 AM
Congratulations, Semper Fi Marine :usmc:

ZaCo
05-20-08, 01:43 AM
Very true, if your are actually hurt or sick where you really need to go to sick bay, go and get back to full duty as soon as possible. Just don't be the one going there to get out of PT. Also, don't be the one to come back with the piece of paper saying "N/V/P"(no visible problem). You will get slayed for that. And there ain't no party like a slay party because a slay party don't STOP!!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-20-08, 01:46 AM
That's awesome. I don't remember a N/V/P chit- either we were just fortunate that we didn't have anyone trying to skate that badly or it is new. Knowing my platoon, it must be new!

And since I forgot to mention it, congrats PFC, and welcome to the family brother.

AndreBlanks
05-20-08, 09:41 AM
I was a squad leader, head scribe, platoon/company Ironman/High PFTer at 299 (the Chevron says PFC Cormier at a 300, but he'll be the first to tell you that he only scored a 285), expert on the range, honor platoon (we also had Company Honorman), and recieved a meritorious promotion to PFC.

Kinda curious what you missed the last PFT point for--probably something dumb like making 18:01. How is the scoring on the rifle done? Did you have any shooting experience before boot? Do they go over "squeeze don't pull"--I've never understood that but I've never used a gun before so. Also, how well were you doing before you went to boot camp as far as pull ups, sit ups, run time go? Thanks and congratulations.

Barta
05-20-08, 02:26 PM
http://kindercore.com/words/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/ironman.jpg
PFC Cory on Graduation Day

Congratulations on all the accomplishments! Quite impressive. Here is a question which it seems like you guys have touched on briefly but I am curious: How far do you push through an illness or an injury until you know the sick bay is your only option? That is not a place I would imagine many recruits would want to be (though as you said there are always going to be those that just try to skate through). What constitutes a real sickness or injury worth of a visit? Because I think I would be too motivated/intimidated to actually admit to a sickness or injury.

During your time there do you get a better understanding of what your body can truly take and how it will react to certain injuries? I'm also very curious as to how quickly your body and sleep patterns adapt to the new environment and what is demanded of you.

Hey but congratulations again and welcome back.

-matthew

amarine0311
05-20-08, 03:26 PM
Congrats ZaCo!! OOORAH!!!

now get your avatar squared away.

Barta
05-20-08, 03:50 PM
Mini-Rant that I was just thinking of:

You know what's BS in my opinion. This guy works his rear off. Graduates at the top or near the top of everything, struggles, doesn't quit and just generally is a damn good recruit and graduates a good Marine. And he gets meritorious PFC.

Then you get folks like me that just barely got by in college for a year, or got two fool friends to sign up... and we come out the same rank! I honestly don't think that's right. I understand that they are trying to give incentives for people to join, but I can't see how me and this young man are on the same level. That bothers me. You've worked hard and earned yours. And regardless of whether or not I make it through, I don't think I should be the same rank because I know I won't be able to touch your hard-work and dedication.

That sort of just hit me right now.

-matthew

HurricaneRJ
05-20-08, 04:06 PM
Get used to it. There is a LCpl. in my Bn. who is a total ****bag. Dumb as **** and lazy as all gets out. But since he "referred" someone to join he automatically gets his Rank.

From Pvt. to LCpl. Everything is a given, there is no special requirement to get promoted. Now when you hit Cpl. You have to earn that rank, with the Blood Stripe comes respect and responsibility. I swear to god I feel like punching some of the LCpl. around here, that expects every Pvt and Pfc to stand at Parade Rest when they're talking to them just because they got 1 deployment on thier belt.

I'm going off abit, but you will learn. Boot Camp will tell you HOW it's suppose to be, at SOI you will learn how it really IS.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-20-08, 04:13 PM
Hurricane, they have more than one deployment under their belt. They have the knowledge that comes with that deployment. Rank doesn't mean everything- seniority counts as well. They aren't doing anything to you that the senior guys didn't do to them. Guess what, you'll be in the same position and will be expected to do the same things when you're a senior LCPL. It is how the Marine Corps works- always has and always will.

ZaCo
05-21-08, 01:52 AM
AndreBlanks (member.php?u=51810): The point I missed was on the run. 18:04. I was very mad at myself, but can’t change the past. Rifle scoring has changed with the addition of Table 2/moving targets. I can’t remember what I got on Table 2, but it was pretty good. I shot a 230 on Table 1 and maintained high expert in Table 2. No, I did not have shooting experience going into boot camp. As for how strong I was going into boot camp. Great runner, got slower in boot camp. Pretty strong in pull-ups (15-17) and sit-ups (70-85), and got much stronger in boot. Like 20-25 pull-ups and 110-135 sit-ups. Also, I weighed 137 pounds when I started. I graduated at 165 and I was never a double rat. I was a rare exception that gained weight from proper diet and hard exercise.

(member.php?u=51633)
Barta (member.php?u=51633): You have to listen to your body. I’ll admit that I had to go to medical in 1<sup>st</sup> phase and again in 3<sup>rd</sup> phase for pneumonia both times in both lungs. I dragged that sickness out for so long because I was too scared to go to medical. But I got so bad in third phase that my ear drums ruptured and my throat swelled shut for two days. The point I’m making is be smart and listen to your body. Don’t be the one who puts it off for so long and then gets dropped because they have to send you to the hospital. You have to be smart, no matter how motivated you are. Also, don’t worry about the PFC thing. Just make sure you don’t fall into the field of a$$ bag contract PFC’s, because my platoon had a lot. Also, rank don’t mean squat if you hold the higher billet. Keep that in mind. All the other PFC’s in my platoon were equal rank, but I had the billet and they had to respect that position with “aye, aye squad leader/ scribe leader”. Keep that in mind as well.

Boot camp will go by fast. You will not remember most of it, I don’t. You will get done and wonder where the time went. Boot camp is only a small sliver of your Marine Corps career. You don’t need to be the best to be a good Marine. You don’t need to achieve everything I was able to do to be successful in boot camp. Those were my goals and I achieved them. You need to set your own goals as well. I’m simply here to give advice and help people out who might be trying to achieve one or all of the goals I had. A motivated and hard working recruit/Marine is all you need to be. If I had to choose between the recruit who does a 200 PFT, but kills himself doing it and works hard day in and day out. Or choose a recruit who does a 300 PFT, but doesn’t try very hard and is on his own program. I will choose the first recruit over the perfect 300 any day.

Don't stress yourselves out. Enjoy home life while you can, work out when you can, and just get ready to get it done when you get to boot camp.

If you have more questions just keep asking away. Whether on this thread or messaging me. I enjoy helping out where ever I can.

Darrell B
05-21-08, 02:49 AM
ZaCO, were contract PFC's "looked down" upon? I myself am going in as a contract PFC but I don't look at it as anything special, infact the only reason why I'm going in contract PFC is because I had 2 years MCJROTC (I managed to be highly successful in the program and was awarded the Military Order of The Purple Heart for leadership and picked up Sergeant at the end of my second year). Any advice on being a Squad Leader? I read that you said you volunteered to be a Squad Leader? Do the Drill Instructors ask? or do they just select who they think would fulfill the role? Congratulations on becoming a Marine!

-Poolee Brown

Zulu 36
05-21-08, 06:55 AM
Contract PFC is one thing, but bumping it up to LCpl is another.

When I was in (1971) the only way to get contract PFC was to be prior service. That was it. Period. Needless to say the majority of contract PFCs were not looked down upon.

No such thing as a contract LCpl except for Marine retreads. After a certain period of time out of the Corps (not very long either), LCpl was the highest you could come back in as.

My MP company got a retread LCpl who had been a sergeant, got out, worked as a New York City cop for a couple of years, then decided to come back to the Corps. LCpl was it.

NeedSomePT
05-21-08, 10:03 AM
AndreBlanks (member.php?u=51810): The point I missed was on the run. 18:04. I was very mad at myself, but can’t change the past. Rifle scoring has changed with the addition of Table 2/moving targets. I can’t remember what I got on Table 2, but it was pretty good. I shot a 230 on Table 1 and maintained high expert in Table 2. No, I did not have shooting experience going into boot camp. As for how strong I was going into boot camp. Great runner, got slower in boot camp. Pretty strong in pull-ups (15-17) and sit-ups (70-85), and got much stronger in boot. Like 20-25 pull-ups and 110-135 sit-ups. Also, I weighed 137 pounds when I started. I graduated at 165 and I was never a double rat. I was a rare exception that gained weight from proper diet and hard exercise.

(member.php?u=51633)
Barta (member.php?u=51633): You have to listen to your body. I’ll admit that I had to go to medical in 1<sup>st</sup> phase and again in 3<sup>rd</sup> phase for pneumonia both times in both lungs. I dragged that sickness out for so long because I was too scared to go to medical. But I got so bad in third phase that my ear drums ruptured and my throat swelled shut for two days. The point I’m making is be smart and listen to your body. Don’t be the one who puts it off for so long and then gets dropped because they have to send you to the hospital. You have to be smart, no matter how motivated you are. Also, don’t worry about the PFC thing. Just make sure you don’t fall into the field of a$$ bag contract PFC’s, because my platoon had a lot. Also, rank don’t mean squat if you hold the higher billet. Keep that in mind. All the other PFC’s in my platoon were equal rank, but I had the billet and they had to respect that position with “aye, aye squad leader/ scribe leader”. Keep that in mind as well.

Boot camp will go by fast. You will not remember most of it, I don’t. You will get done and wonder where the time went. Boot camp is only a small sliver of your Marine Corps career. You don’t need to be the best to be a good Marine. You don’t need to achieve everything I was able to do to be successful in boot camp. Those were my goals and I achieved them. You need to set your own goals as well. I’m simply here to give advice and help people out who might be trying to achieve one or all of the goals I had. A motivated and hard working recruit/Marine is all you need to be. If I had to choose between the recruit who does a 200 PFT, but kills himself doing it and works hard day in and day out. Or choose a recruit who does a 300 PFT, but doesn’t try very hard and is on his own program. I will choose the first recruit over the perfect 300 any day.

Don't stress yourselves out. Enjoy home life while you can, work out when you can, and just get ready to get it done when you get to boot camp.

If you have more questions just keep asking away. Whether on this thread or messaging me. I enjoy helping out where ever I can.
I have a question about the sick bay.
If you have to go, does it count against your training days? Will you have to complete what your platoon did while you were in sickbay at a later time? How does that all work out?
Thanks

skaterjon89
05-22-08, 11:54 AM
what up zaco LOL, I actually denied RA, civies are disgusting human beings, I just want to start blowing stuff in tanks already. The sickbay does count against you I think, but no you will not make it up. But just go if it is necessary. And no PFC does not look bad, but if you are a ****bag (heredia+many others) you won't get respect. For instance some of the PFC's were like "proper greeting pvt." I told the ****bag ones "with all due respect, you don't deserve the chevron..." just don't be the a hole PFC.