PDA

View Full Version : I have a Question..

bbond007
05-19-08, 05:39 PM
I have a question about running at Recruit Training. Do you run on a track for your Pft or what do we run on. The reason im asking this is because I seem to run faster on a track, instead of running from point A to point B. I run my 3 miles on a track in 18.20, and running from A to B is like 19.40.

Thanks,
Poolee Bond.

DanCross
05-19-08, 05:56 PM
Where are you going to boot camp?

When I went to Parris Island, you ran up a road a mile and a half and then doubled back to the start point. It was normal asphalt. I never ran on a track there, and don't recall ever having seen one on the island.

bbond007
05-19-08, 06:09 PM
I will be going to Parris Island, July 28 so you think it would be best to start running from A to B more??

DanCross
05-19-08, 06:28 PM
I will be going to Parris Island, July 28 so you think it would be best to start running from A to B more??

[Ahem]

Vary it up. Definitely, don't just run on a track: run on a variety of different surfaces. Also, eventually, you will have to run in boots. But if you are heading to Parris Island that soon, don't risk injury by trying to pick up a bunch of boots runs now.

HurricaneRJ
05-19-08, 06:47 PM
Lt. is correct. Point A to Point B

You will come to realize how small P.I. really is when you run the PFT. From 3rd Battalion to Weapons and back.

Now if your going to SOI-ITB expect a lot of Boot Runs, mostly it's on asphalt but the C.I. can get real retarded and think of something else to do.

bbond007
05-19-08, 07:22 PM
Yes Sir, thank you. I will mix it up a little bit.

CplKJSpevak
05-19-08, 07:33 PM
Bbond sounds like you'll kick some a** down there on the island!.....LT DAN, Only a CRAZY leatherneck would go through bootcamp twice Sir! I caught a movie about OCS at the Marine Corps Museum, Never realized it was like that! I guess prior enlisted have a better understanding of what to expect! I had several CO's who were prior enlisted they generally make the best officers if you ask me. BBOND meet your future CO!

bbond007
05-19-08, 08:09 PM
Bbond sounds like you'll kick some a** down there on the island!.....LT DAN, Only a CRAZY leatherneck would go through bootcamp twice Sir! I caught a movie about OCS at the Marine Corps Museum, Never realized it was like that! I guess prior enlisted have a better understanding of what to expect! I had several CO's who were prior enlisted they generally make the best officers if you ask me. BBOND meet your future CO!
Yes Sir I plan on kicking some A$$ lol, I haven't Trained like I have been for me not to be the BEST. And LT DAN thats crazy 2 times Unreal Mad RESPECT SIR!!!

DanCross
05-19-08, 09:48 PM

Hah. I knew some joker would call me Lt Dan sooner or later. Unsat. Pros and cons will reflect. :-)

OCS is a different animal than recruit training. It's way, way harder physically and somewhat harder intellectually, but nowhere near the mental challenge that boot camp is. The real crazy thing is that one of my Sergeant Instructors (what you call DIs at OCS) was my receiving Drill Instructor on Parris Island. He knew he knew me from somewhere, but didn't place it until about the second week. Things got interesting from there....

Being prior enlisted is a double edge sword. Of course, you've got an advantage in that you know the rank structure, know the drill, and you have had someone screaming in your face before and know how to handle it. Plus you are already a Marine and, to their credit, the hats will never question that you've earned the title. But you can also get complacent and it can be hard to take the rank off (particularly for prior NCOs and SNCOs). And some of the techniques you thought of after the fact that would have made boot camp just that much easier to get through don't mesh all that well with OCS. One of the priors from my platoon that got dropped tried all the standard tricks to stay under the radar that would have worked well at boot camp, but just skylined him in Quantico.

And LT DAN thats crazy 2 times Unreal Mad RESPECT SIR!!!

Thank you, Poolee, but if you call me "LT DAN" again I *will* call down to Parris Island and tell your drill instructors that you miss your pink teddy bear, and ask for your address so that I can send it to you.

bbond007
05-19-08, 10:06 PM
Yes Sir, Wont happen again Sir, I will miss my pink teddy lol j/p Well ALL the PINK TEDDYS I HAVE lol

CplKJSpevak
05-20-08, 05:13 PM
Sir, That's pretty wild about the receiving DI....I can't believe he even remembered you.....I got one for you, My RECRUITER was my platoon Sgt. at MCT! Then him and I did a Med cruise together a couple of years later ( in '95). I was with MSSG and he was with BLT 2/6......got drunk together on the Pier in Israel!...........Bbond, take notes here.....it's a small Corps, and it's not that far fetched to say 2nd Lt. Cross might be your CO one day......Lt. Cross's decision to stay in and be an officer, and Bbonds motivation will help keep our Corp's strong....Semper Fi!