PDA

View Full Version : Dates in my profile and some messages

gunnyhiles
05-17-08, 03:18 PM
I entered the Corps when I turned 17 in 1955, and retired in 1975. If you do the math, you will see I’m now 70. I am rated 75% disabled, 50% is combat related.<O:pI say all this to try and explain the confusion of dates within my profile and some posts I made. I corrected a few brought to my attention and if any others found, please let me know

Finger
05-17-08, 03:22 PM
Semper Fi Gunny:flag:

gunnyhiles
05-17-08, 03:43 PM
Semper Fi Gunny:flag:
Finger, were you in country the night Tet started. If not you must have still caught hell! Force Recon? Whew, one of the really hard chargin' Marines. CAP was bad enough for me. I was 30 then and to old to get out in the bush and hump I was told, so I was stuck in a compound with at lease 400 meters of clearing for fields of fire. Oh what a bunch those SeeBees were, would do anything for a bottle ;)

Finger
05-18-08, 08:39 AM
I was there at that time Gunny. A young snot-nose Cpl, wondering how things were going to go. Funny thing though, I sometimes felt safer deep in the bush with a small team than on a compound or combat base somewere.

During Tet, Dong Ha (our base of ops) was getting hammered almost everyday by arty from across the DMZ. From Cua Viet to Khe Shan (Leatherneck Square) it was a hairy time.

Hey, I know some of those CAP units caught hell during Tet. No easy time for them either.

S/F
Finger

Gary Hall
05-18-08, 09:04 AM
I entered the Corps when I turned 17 in 1955, and retired in 1975. If you do the math, you will see I’m now 70. I am rated 75% disabled, 50% is combat related.<O:pI say all this to try and explain the confusion of dates within my profile and some posts I made. I corrected a few brought to my attention and if any others found, please let me know

Thanks Gunny, glad to know about you. Don't worry about it, if the truth be known there's a lot of confusion in all our lives, just look around man. And you're still a spring chicken, I was born in '31, not a good year by many means. I see you've got a friendly disposition, hang on to that, there's not enough friendly to go around, at times. Kindest regards, Gary Hall, Tyler, TX, W-3-1, 1950 - '51.:thumbup:

Finger
05-18-08, 09:18 AM
Damn with you ol' Devildogs around, I think this First Sergeant will go sit in the corner and suck his thumb.
:usmc: :flag:

S/F
Finger

sparkie
05-18-08, 09:52 AM
Damn with you ol' Devildogs around, I think this First Sergeant will go sit in the corner and suck his thumb.
:usmc: :flag:

S/F
Finger

If that be the case,Finger, I guess I'll go back to the childrens thread.:beer: