PDA

View Full Version : WWII hero died days after enjoying 'greatest' honor

thedrifter
05-13-08, 07:35 AM
KIRBY WALKER, 1918-2008: WWII hero died days after enjoying 'greatest' honor

By AMY ROLPH
P-I REPORTER

Kirby Walker passed away just three days after "the greatest thing that had ever happened" to him.

At his 90th birthday party last month, he was presented with a birthday-greeting proclamation from the commandant of the Marine Corps -- an honor that likely had something to do with the two Purple Hearts and two Bronze Stars he was awarded in World War II.

The longtime Seattle resident died April 29, three days after that birthday party.

He had a distinguished career as a member of the 24th Marines' 4th Division -- serving overseas in Roi-Namur, Saipan and Iwo Jima.

His son, Bill Walker of Bothell, remembers his father as a strong disciplinarian who set high standards for his children, but renounced violence of any kind.

"His approach to discipline was a lot like his approach to how he viewed war," said Walker. "As I grew up, he told me over and over again how many times in the midst of all this fighting he kept thinking to himself that there has got to be a better way to solve our problems."

But violence was nonetheless a part of serving overseas, and Walker was wounded twice. One injury caused his jaws to knock together so hard that he lost his teeth soon after.

"I didn't realize growing up that everyone's dad didn't have false teeth," Bill Walker remembered Monday.

The Purple Heart is awarded to military members who have been wounded or killed in combat. The Bronze Star is awarded for bravery and acts of merit.

Walker served in the Marines for five years before moving to the Northwest with his bride, a Seattle native, after the war ended.

He was married to Nancy Goodfellow Walker, a founding member of the University of Washington's School of Social Work, for more than 50 years. The two met while Walker was stationed in Hawaii.

She preceded him in death two years ago.

His son remembers that he had a way of connecting with people on a personal level, always remembering names and obscure details about the people he came in contact with.

"He wasn't a big supporter of organized causes," Walker said. "Those are Mom's things. My Dad's uniqueness was seen in his way of reaching out individually to people."

Walker retired as executive vice president of Continental Inc. after 35 years with the concern that eventually became HomeStreet Bank. For the last 12 years of his life, he lived at the Seattle retirement center Hearthstone.

He was born in 1918 in Moscow, Texas. He graduated from Stephen F. Austin College and he played minor league baseball as a shortstop for Houston for two years before enlisting in the armed forces.

He is survived by a sister, three children, five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

A memorial service is planned for 4:30 p.m. June 6 at University Congregational United Church of Christ in Seattle.
P-I reporter Amy Rolph can be reached at 206-448-8223 or amyrolph@seattlepi.com.

Ellie