PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Issue

Chris24
05-12-08, 08:24 PM
I have a question about a shoulder injury and if it will effect my time in boot camp. First of all, I am applying for a waiver right now so I am not going to ask whether or not it will be approved...

SlingerDun
05-12-08, 09:47 PM
The training is very dynamic and even the static excersizes like holding racks, footlockers, seabags and buckets of concrete in the air can make your shoulders scream, requiring healthy tissue. Then theres thrashing, climbing ropes and awkward obstacles and what ever devious games your DI's conjure up. I used to be a pitcher and also tossed a few grenades and grenades are heavy like mini shotputs and hard on your arm. Even with good technique you gotta get distance on them, you know? I think your asking for it and if it holds up then your lucky but regardless you'll probably add more scar tissue to that bad shoulder. How old are you?

Hell Boy
05-13-08, 09:19 AM
I think you may be in trouble with the shoulder. In boot you will be constatly active. Although the PT will help your shoulder become stronger....the hand to hand combat training, pugil stick fightd and wrestling may be a huge issue. Also consider the rifle range, long marches with packs and the Crucible (54 hour, non stop final test).

All I can say is...

Good Luck.

Chris24
05-13-08, 02:22 PM
Thanks for all the help, Marines. SlingerDun, I am 25 years old. The shoulder "should" be fine for long marches, rifles, etc. My only real concern is about having the shoulder pulled either behind my head or back or something like that. I know this sounds strange, but the injury is strictly a range of motion issue. In other words, if it is not pulled at a bad angle I should be fine. Anyone out there who has done MCMAP (preferably to the Green Belt level because I am looking for 0311) have any advice on this? Anyone know if dislocated shoulders are common during the hand-to-hand combat? Thanks for all the help, I suppose I might just be hoping here but I am trying to figure out my chances.

ecfree
05-13-08, 02:47 PM
Trying to talk to a stubborn Irishman,is like talkin to a wall.You're going to be in alot of pain,from what you will go thru in PI.More than the normal boot.
I'll wish you the best of luck,and God Bless.:evilgrin:

SlingerDun
05-13-08, 06:02 PM
No colored belts h'yere, suspenders. Just a former collegiate/freestyle wrestler and coach