PDA

View Full Version : 1st letter from pi

DAMNPROUD
05-10-08, 09:21 AM
we received our first letter from our recruit and it was great.there were no complaints other than being tired. i wont bore you with everything but two things stuck out to me.
first he said parris island looked exactly as he exspected but living there was completely the opposite .
second ,he said he couldnt wait to get home but he had some work to do first. wow sounds like he is aj squared away !!!

he did say he hadto wear the fat boy towel? anyone know what that is?he had gained a litlle weight but has never been fat lol
damnproud
keith

marinemama
05-11-08, 12:24 AM
How exciting for you to get your first letter! Yeah!
:banana:

I have no idea what the fat boy towel is?? hmmm....

Keep writing and sending your love and support, my boys have told me that was the thing that kept them going the most...even though they didn't get to write very often, they always knew they would have me behind them no matter what.

mikysmom
05-11-08, 05:53 AM
yea i remember when i got my 1st letter i read it 20 times im so happy for you

Gator347
05-12-08, 11:47 AM
Outstanding:thumbup:

Send letters, as often as you can and always be positive.

Don't get shocked if they get negative or you don't get a letter at all (They are very busy):scared:

I think the waiting is the worst part.

You and yours are in our prayers.:angel:

Gator347
05-12-08, 11:55 AM
Outsanding:thumbup:

Keep sending your letters and always be positive.

If his letters get negative or if you don't get a letter at all,
don't get shook :scared: they WILL BE BUSY.

The waiting is the worst part. Keep the faith. You and yours are in our prayers:angel:

NoRegrets
05-12-08, 08:12 PM
I wrote a ton of letters till I had no more to say:D So I made up picture letters and he loved them. Oh the days of boot camp ;)

Marie

Gator347
05-13-08, 07:37 AM
I sent letters and got family and friends to write. I sent jokes, pictures, stories, slogans, quotes, etc. I even sent letters fom the cat. :D They were the best.

All they want is to hear from home & know that they are supported. More is better. I sent post cards when I was on the road and took a took a folder with me for letters to PI.:cool:

I printed address stickers & passed them out so others could write. I also sent stamps & slelf-addressed post cards. Make it easy for him!

And always BE POSITIVE:thumbup:

MotherGoose
05-13-08, 08:51 AM
DAMNPROUD, I don't know what a fat boy towel is... that's a new term to me, but I remember when I went to boot camp, I was 3/4 of a pound over my max weight so I became a weight recruit. Had to paint red stripes on my grey pt sweatshirt and always report to the nearest DI with my food tray. She'd say "I know your not going to eat that butter are you recruit!"

Ah, I was in such great shape after boot camp. :beer:

DAMNPROUD
05-13-08, 09:28 AM
Thanks mother goose.In his last letter he said he had to loose some weight but he was joking about it,so he wasnt that concerned.im still suprised though ,he has never been overweight and has always been in good condition by civillian standards anyway. How long did you have to loose the weight ?

keith

Gator347
05-13-08, 09:40 AM
My son left with a 36" waist and graduated PI with a 30 1/2" waist.

He lost nearly 25lbs.

Wardey
05-13-08, 10:28 AM
Congrat's !!! Can't wait until I receive mine. Dave

marinemom
05-13-08, 10:29 AM
DAMNPROUD - if he has the fat boy towel, he is not tht much overweight - at leat not enough to be sent to the PCP - Physical Conditioning Platoon, aka Pork Chop Platoon - his Drill Instructors will be certain that he does not carry any extra for too long.

Write, write, write - letters, cartoons anything all the time. And try to include some things that he can share with this fellow recruits - it helps. When tigger was in, I sent so much mail to him of all kinds- and to a couple of kids that he told me got no mail at all - that his Senior Drill Instructor gave me my name "marinemom" - it is important to let them know that they are loved and respected for their choice.

ScottsMom
05-13-08, 11:10 AM
Congrats on your first letter! I remember when I got mine, I read and re-read it 50 times. I saved all of the letters and still read them from time to time, what an amazing change from when he was a recruit to the fine Marine he is now...

MotherGoose
05-13-08, 02:38 PM
Thanks mother goose.In his last letter he said he had to loose some weight but he was joking about it,so he wasnt that concerned.im still suprised though ,he has never been overweight and has always been in good condition by civillian standards anyway. How long did you have to loose the weight ?

keith

As far as I know, I had the length of boot camp to lose it. It didn't take very long anyways. I was 138.75 when I first weighed in and by graduation I was a lean, mean 121. We didn't have anyone dropped because of their weight.

CHOPPER7199
05-13-08, 03:39 PM
Weight, Hmm, Boot Wieghed In At 120, Left 155 Ha Ah Solid Marine