PDA

View Full Version : 15 College Credits?

CrazyBrave83
04-29-03, 04:52 PM
Hey all
I have one question. I'm a freshman in college right now, but I recently (and finally) got into the USMC. I'm now a poolee and have no intentions on going back to school in the fall...in fact, I'm slated for a December 2003 ship date to PI. Anywho, I was just wondering...I heard that if you get 15 college credits you're an automatic PFC after boot. Is that true? I have 13 from last semester and I'm just wondering about the 15, cause I'm ashamed to admit that I'm not taking classes as seriously this semester having enlisted. I'd just like someone to help clear this up if they could.

Thanks a bunch.

22DevilPup87
04-29-03, 07:38 PM
I thought it was 18 college credits for a meritous promotion to PFC upon successful completion of bootcamp. If you want to be sure about the number of credits do a search and I know you'll find it - Sixguns just addressed that issue recently.

Anyways, yes, to the best of my knowledge a certain amount of college credits will earn you a meritous promotion to PFC after you make it through bootcamp.

thepoorknight
04-29-03, 09:27 PM
1 semester hour in physical fitness
2 in marksmanship and 1 in orienteering/outdoor skills according to the American council on education

CrazyBrave83
05-01-03, 05:27 PM
Sgt, sir, I'm not quite clear on your last post...can you explain?

Sixguns
05-01-03, 07:09 PM
Sully,

Get the 15 credits!! It can be 15 in one semester or a total of 15 from more than one semester. If you want to ship early, you can get or ask for a pool move to go sooner. You may want to go to a summer college course to earn the credits you need for promotion. Education is always a wise investment and the PFC pay is more than $125 more per month. Oh, by the way. The college credits can be transferred to another school later in your Marine Corps career. Plus, you'll make LCpl. that much quicker too! The post from thepoorknight is not even related to your question of earning enough credits to get a guaranteed (NOT meritorious as some have stated) promotion. Let me know if you still have questions.

SIXGUNS

Sixguns
05-01-03, 07:11 PM
Sully,

You may want to check on this also, but I think the 15 credits has to be with a combined or average GPA of 2.0 or higher. Have your recruiter or NCOIC check the MPPM to get the ruling on that.

SIXGUNS