PDA

View Full Version : Dropping out of DEP

TheChiefIsIn
05-09-08, 09:00 PM
I honestly searched all over and couldn't find any answers that I'm looking for. <br />
<br />
There have been some recent complications and I can't enlist at this time. So I was just wondering what the...

Marine84
05-09-08, 09:19 PM
Didn't some other doofus start a thread about this very same thing a few days ago. Do you need to feel the love too chief?

You're a wuss and don't have an ounce of honor in you if you don't at this point. If YOU can live with that.........................

Darrell B
05-09-08, 09:27 PM
This makes me sick. Why did you even bother swearing in if you were just going to drop out? Have fun in college, lets see where that takes you in 4 years.

KevinR90
05-09-08, 09:27 PM
The question is, are you going to eventually try to enlist again?

That does make me sick too. How can you go through all this just to "try out college for a couple years first"??? It's either college or military at this moment. But here's the thing: You can always do college later/ while you are in. Wait too long, finish college, you'll never get to it and it'll be a regret the rest of your life. Are you another of those guys that made the military a fallback- and now that you can go to college you are going to get out?

Big Jim
05-09-08, 09:30 PM
Yeah, Kim...you got that right! The Corps is better off anyway without this fake in its ranks! Only people with honor are allowed to walk the path of a Marine. This guy was obviously in another line the day the Commandant issued honor, courage and integrity. Everybody is better off without cowards like this!

sparkie
05-09-08, 09:32 PM
OK,,,,,, The kid can't swear in in DEP. Swearing in is the end of DEP. Not all is as it appears....... Give patience. YOU SWEAR IN< THERE IS NO DROPOUT.

Big Jim
05-09-08, 09:41 PM
OK,,,,,, The kid can't swear in in DEP. Swearing in is the end of DEP. Not all is as it appears....... Give patience. YOU SWEAR IN< THERE IS NO DROPOUT.

That's true, Sparkie, my brother...no backing out once you swear in...can we say, "BIG CHICKEN DINNER"?? I knew you could...!!! LOL!!

futuremarine129
05-09-08, 09:51 PM
Reconsider! I know, you've been thinking about it for a while and just decided you wanted to go to college. DON'T! People like me are dying for this opportunity, you take it, then give it up!!! You will regret this for a long time to come. Maybe it is better without you in the ranks though...

sparkie
05-09-08, 09:56 PM
Alright,,, Lighten up here, nothing wrong with 2nd thoughts. Let HIM figure it out. It is a freedom of my country.

Big Jim
05-09-08, 09:59 PM
Alright,,, Lighten up here, nothing wrong with 2nd thoughts. Let HIM figure it out. It is a freedom of my country.

Yeah...I guess so...after all thats why they got the Coast Guard, ain't it? Damn...got my knife sharpened up for nothing!! Going back to the teepee with no scalp for the lodge pole!!!!!! LOL! Oh well...guess I'll kill me a bear!!!

AustinOverton
05-09-08, 10:01 PM
I think the only real consequences of dropping out are being humiliated by your friends while being labeled as a puss, as well as telling your next recruiter if you decide to join again, also they may not even let you go to PLC or OCS if you dropped out of DEP.

If you can't even commit now why would they waste their time and money on you in the future?

Donut Brigade
05-09-08, 10:18 PM
Maybe it is better without you in the ranks though...

What I was thinking.

Whatever the hell happened to 'commitment' ?

JJA1990
05-09-08, 10:41 PM
In my humble opinion

Either honor the committment, the oath that YOU made to the USMC.. or just drop out to never return.

If you are willing to quit once, who says you wouldnt do it again?

Wyoming
05-09-08, 10:54 PM
ASS Hole!!! <br />
<br />
<br />
GO ARMY!!!

davblay
05-09-08, 11:07 PM
&lt;table id=&quot;post297857&quot; class=&quot;tborder&quot; align=&quot;center&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; cellpadding=&quot;6&quot; cellspacing=&quot;0&quot; width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt; &lt;tbody&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td class=&quot;thead&quot; style=&quot;font-weight: normal;&quot; id=&quot;currentPost&quot;&gt; ...

JSam
05-09-08, 11:18 PM
You realize that the recruiter you went to has your file.
And I believe that only him can re-enlist you in the DEP if he's got your file. (Am I correct, Marines?) I'm pretty sure anyways.
He'll probably be p!ssed beyond belief and not let you try and join again, because what's to stop you from quitting again.

The saying goes 'cheaters never prosper'. Well, in truth 'quitters never prosper.'

Jbthomp
05-09-08, 11:21 PM
Wait wait wait.

You're having second thoughts about going reserves? I could understand being apprehensive if you were going active duty, but the reserves? I know alot of guys who are doing their freshman year in college as well as the reserves and they love it.

Don't overthink it. You'll be fine.

Hologram
05-09-08, 11:32 PM
Really. After reading that I'm wondering why you just didn't go reserves in the first place? Or change to reserves now instead of dropping out altogether? <br />
<br />
Yeah, have second thoughts if you want,...

jungholee90
05-10-08, 12:25 AM
I specifically remember there was a thread named almost same as this. It was closed so I couldn't post what I wanted to say. I had my own referral deciding to get out of DEP and go to college nearby. This got me mad.. He was like, "I will join after college..." bullcrap, there is no way he is going to make officer with that attitude of no commitment.

Well since you asked the fact is you can get out. But I hope you do not reconsider joining later. This was your LIFETIME choice and you went to a point you SWORE IN. It is not some kind of a joke you can just back out and say "just kidding."

Barta
05-10-08, 02:23 AM
I don't want to jump in on the name calling and such, but I do want to say that I think you should really think about this before you decide to back out. If you are worried about school the Reserves are a great option. That's what I am doing until I can finish college. I chose that because I really wanted to finish school but at the same time I recognized the importance of serving.

You should look into it a bit more before you make this decision. I wouldn't base my decision on whether or not people think you are pussing out or that you don't have backbone and such. That's rubbish. Maybe this isn't for you. Don't base your decision on what other people say, you have to live with yourself, not them. Now, that being said: I do think the fact that you committed to something and then backed out of it is a big issue. This was a very big decision and it shouldn't have been something that you took lightly.

For me that's very hard to understand. I am sure a lot of people here began to have doubts about whether they were really cut out to be a Marine or not, but they stuck with it and they honored their commitment. Too me that's important. Maybe this isn't for you. There is nothing wrong with that, I just think you should really think about it before you make any decisions to back out.

Another thing that troubles me, and I am not trying to be harsh, but it bothers me when I see people post their 'problems' on message boards like this. It comes across like you are looking for sympathy. Maybe that's not what you were going for, but it comes across like that. I believe a place like this is a place for Marine's to help us with legitimate questions that we have regarding the Corps and what we have in store for ourselves, it isn't a place for them to hear about us whining about our personal lives and how hard we have it in civilian life and how much we THINK we know about the Corps and what we are getting into (we have no idea). These Gentlemen don't come on here to hear us complain, or make excuses and I think that's why you have received some hostile responses.

That's just my thoughts. It turned into a mini-rant and I apologize for that. I tried to catch myself before I went any further. My overall opinion would be for you to seriously sit down and think this through before you make another impulse decision. Whatever path you decide on I do wish you luck, but I hope you use this as a learning lesson regardless of what you chose.

-matthew

piratewrestler3
05-10-08, 04:05 AM
****in Pussy!!!! Why Drop????? I Ain't Scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

semperfi170
05-10-08, 06:37 AM
Poor little boy is confused and still tied to mama's apron strings and daddy's hand holding. :sick: Drop out if that is what you want, just don't apply back to my Marine Corps! If it was me that got a hold of your file if you re-applied whether enlisted or officer, I would have you laughed out of the office.

Your attitude that comes across in your postings leads us to believe that your are just a poor confused immature whiner!!! Go and play on the beaches where you live and build sand castles with the rest of the kiddies.

SGT7477
05-10-08, 07:45 AM
Just another nonhacker we don't need your kind in OUR Marine Corps.

Wyoming
05-10-08, 09:36 AM
****in Pussy!!!! Why Drop????? I Ain't Scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, whoop-de-poop, Click Here (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/advanced_register.php?do=changestatus) and stay out of the way.

FeMzZ
05-10-08, 10:00 AM
so pretty much you want to get drunk and high for the next 4 years instead of protecting people you love and having the most honorable job there is. what a dick

chrisf9028
05-10-08, 10:04 AM
Quit suckin' on your momma's tittie...little faggot

Covey_Rider
05-10-08, 10:11 AM
If you're not positive that you want to be a Marine, then I would highly suggest not joining. Even if you do enlist now you won't even like it...you'll have a horrible time. Your mind is not in the right place for something as meaningful as becoming a Marine. Maybe one day when you grow a set, you'll look back and analyze the choice that you've made.

KevinR90
05-10-08, 12:43 PM
Here's my constructive bits: There is a way to drop out of DEP. It's not the final swearing in/ contract- it can be done. That said, I don't know how to do it. There's probably a ton of paperwork to do.

Yet, again, my parents believe that going to college (without joining) and maintaining a regular, probably full-time job is the better way to go.

One of the reasons I joined the Marines..... to have a non-regular life. I don't want to work 9-5, 5 days a week for the rest of my life. If that's what you want.... go ahead.

Miller816
05-10-08, 01:47 PM
A kid dropped out right before a Pool meeting at my post about a week ago. This kid had been in the DEP for a matter of days before he decided he wanted out. My recruiter was pretty ticked off to say the least.

darkgreen0311
05-10-08, 02:20 PM
I don't think there's a reason to bash the kid let him go, but he will miss out on alot. There is no greater sense of accomplishment is when you graduate and your Drill Instructors shake your hand. He will never feel what i and these other Marines on this site felt on that day and still feel to this day.

There are different post on this site such as the political forum in which we may disagree but when the day ends and begins tomorrow we are still Marines. Something that kid will never know and that you polees will soon know let him go.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

davblay
05-10-08, 02:49 PM
I agree and I think this thread should be locked down! NUFF SAID!!

Dave

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-10-08, 04:02 PM
I disagree darkgreen. There is plenty of reason to bash the kid. I don't expect anyone to sign up to be a Marine, it is a pretty big step. But, once you're raised your right hand and sworn an oath if you back out at that point you're just a piece of crap that deserves what they get. Though DavBlay is right, a lock is probably in order.

darkgreen0311
05-10-08, 04:58 PM
I just figured he knows he's a quitter and he has to live with that the rest of his life. Because his conscious is going to whoop his a**. When he becomes an old man and reflects on his life he's always going to have that woulda-coulda-shoulda thought in his head. I wouldn't want to live with that you guys wouldn't either even though we have no doubts.

:marine: :flag: SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

JoeInVille
05-10-08, 08:14 PM
I dont know about the other poolees but I took my first oath pretty seriously. Im glad I dont have this fool serving with me in the future.

SGT7477
05-10-08, 08:32 PM
What you going to do if he ends up beside you someday?lmfao

JoeInVille
05-10-08, 08:44 PM
Haha no idea, but I hope he doesnt.

TheChiefIsIn
05-10-08, 09:28 PM
I don't really see this as quitting, but just pushing it to a later date. I understand where you all come from, but with all due respect, none of you know what is happening with my life. I did take the Oath very seriously. In fact, I always got that wierd tingle down the spine feeling when I said it, both times I said it. I love my country and want to serve, but I just can't RIGHT NOW. I know what I said in the past, but the future changes with the bat of an eye. I got my answer so I'm done with that. I'm sorry that you see me as a wuss or a bundle of sticks, as one poolee put it. Nothing I can do about how you feel but I stuck with it as long as I could. I made a lot of sacrifices just to get to this point but I'm at the end of my rope for now. I just need to see what my future holds now.

SGT7477
05-10-08, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't want to be you in the future just my opinion.

Wyoming
05-10-08, 09:46 PM
The Air Force Chief of Staff would never be called "Airmen". The Chief of Naval Operations would never be called "Sailor". The Commanding General of the Army would never be called "Soldier". BUT! The Commandant of the Marine Corp is DAMN PROUD to be called a Marine! ... but you, will not be known as any of these.

Darrell B
05-10-08, 10:16 PM
I don't really see this as quitting, but just pushing it to a later date. I understand where you all come from, but with all due respect, none of you know what is happening with my life. I did take the Oath very seriously. In fact, I always got that wierd tingle down the spine feeling when I said it, both times I said it. I love my country and want to serve, but I just can't RIGHT NOW. I know what I said in the past, but the future changes with the bat of an eye. I got my answer so I'm done with that. I'm sorry that you see me as a wuss or a bundle of sticks, as one poolee put it. Nothing I can do about how you feel but I stuck with it as long as I could. I made a lot of sacrifices just to get to this point but I'm at the end of my rope for now. I just need to see what my future holds now. Oh, but it is quitting. You took your oath and you signed your contract and now you backing out of it, as far as I know this is quitting. College is going to get you a piece of paper that anyone can achieve. Becoming a Marine is a VERY privleged title. I want to go to college aswell but I know I can do it while I'm in a the Corps or when I'm out of the Corps. Swearing in and signing your contract is thee MOST honorable thing you can do in your life aside from following through, but it seems honor isn't to appealing to you. Have fun in college, and remember NONE of US know whats going on in each others LIVES so don't use that as an excuse.

-Poolee Brown

SlingerDun
05-10-08, 10:21 PM
If the recent enlistment complications you spoke of render down to:

"I just need to try out college for a couple of years first"

Well, you been sitting in classrooms for at least 12 years now, Chief. What do you think will be so different about gathering a few more credits? Ask any new Marine what they think about the majority alumni while visiting or attending their local CC teenage wasteland.

--->Dave

Donut Brigade
05-10-08, 10:21 PM
That's alright, not everyone can serve anyway, let alone in the Corps. Shame, really.

Wyoming
05-10-08, 10:37 PM
Quit suckin' on your momma's tittie...little faggot

HEY!!! I enjoy lounging around on many Momma's titties, so surely that don't make me light in the loafers. - Jody sez, "Where your Mommy???" - :cool:

yellowwing
05-10-08, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by TheChiefIsIn
The Air Force Chief of Staff would never be called "Airmen". The Chief of Naval Operations would never be called "Sailor". The Commanding General of the Army would never be called "Soldier". BUT! The Commandant of the Marine Corp is DAMN PROUD to be called a Marine!

... but you, will not be known as any of these.
Good ending.