PDA

View Full Version : Do I have asthma?

DEPped
05-09-08, 12:01 PM
I'm leaving for boot camp in 18 days, and am nervous about attracting attention for this caugh I get after working out. (I already know I'll be getting plenty of attention from the Drill Instructors anyway)

I can run 3 miles in 22:00. I run six miles once a week and I go to PT sessions twice a week. The thing is that after working out, I get this caugh that doesn't go away. The thing I'm worried about is getting dropped from the platoon because of it. I don't want to be standing on line with a caugh.

I have not had asthma in about 8 years and have been doing football and track and doing just fine.

immaproshooter
05-09-08, 12:08 PM
ur best bet is consulting your doc......ya you dont wanna hear that i know you want a simple yes or no...but on the safe side to prevent anything serious from happening maybe you should go get checked out....its better to be safe then sorry

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-09-08, 12:12 PM
Get an Asthma exam before you go to Boot. It will less stressful, and that way when you show up, you can just let them know right off the bat, what the problem is, so they can deal with it accordingly. You don't want to get dropped while training, for something you could have taken care beforehand.
GoodLuck!

NickPowell52
05-09-08, 12:16 PM
Go get a pulminary test at your local doctors office, or if they dont offer it there, try at a hospital near you that will confirm whether or not you will be able to go through boot camp safely

Whitey
05-09-08, 01:49 PM
noone will pay attention to the cough because of how many smokers join the marines

SEANstaah
05-09-08, 07:07 PM
If you had asthma, you know how it feels. If it feels like it used to, tight chest, shortness of breathe, and slow to recover, then it's asthma. If you can consistantly put up the stats you stated, you should be fine. Talk to your recruiter about it.

SlingerDun
05-09-08, 07:55 PM
I can run 3 miles in 22:00. I run six miles once a week...Once a week is just enough to p iss your body off, no wonder your hacking up a lung:sick: Try being more consistent.

--->Dave

DEPped
05-09-08, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I get the caugh at night sometimes, and sometimes when I'm just relaxing. So I'm thinking it just might be a bronchial infection of some kind. I also quit smoking a month ago so it could have something to do with that.

Oh, well. In two and a half weeks I'll be in San Diego standing on some yellow footprints with a hacking caugh, for the Drill Instructors to yell at me about.

davblay
05-09-08, 11:20 PM
I'm leaving for boot camp in 18 days, and am nervous about attracting attention for this caugh I get after working out. (I already know I'll be getting plenty of attention from the Drill Instructors anyway)

I can run 3 miles in 22:00. I run six miles once a week and I go to PT sessions twice a week. The thing is that after working out, I get this caugh that doesn't go away. The thing I'm worried about is getting dropped from the platoon because of it. I don't want to be standing on line with a caugh.

I have not had asthma in about 8 years and have been doing football and track and doing just fine.

FIRST OF ALL, FILL IN YOUR PROFILE!

SECOND- DID YOU JUST HAPPEN TO MENTION THIS "ASTHMA THING" TO YOUR RECRUITER OR AT MEPS?

Dave

jrhd97
05-10-08, 11:19 PM
DEPped, or whoever in the hel you are. If you go and have asthma, end up in BFE in SanDiego on a hump or some such training deal, it can kill you. People do die from Asthma attacks. Change in environments and very increased levels if physical activity can cause a recurrence. Trust me you will experience both.
See the doc and get checked before you go. It would be pretty sheety to your poor mom if your butt crooks due to an asthma attack, especialy when you chose to ignore possible signs.

DEPped
05-11-08, 11:59 AM
SECOND- DID YOU JUST HAPPEN TO MENTION THIS "ASTHMA THING" TO YOUR RECRUITER OR AT MEPS?

Dave

Yes. I did mention it. And they said if it hasn't shown up in 8 years then you should be okay. That's what my recruiter said. I have been depped in and PTing for about 4 months now and, just recently, as allergy season rolls around, I get this stupid caugh which can terminate my goal. I'm going to get a Pulmonary function test and some doctors advice before I leave.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-11-08, 02:42 PM
Cough, it is spelled with an O. Honestly, maybe I'm just slow or something but it took me a while to catch on.

I hope you mentioned your history of asthma to the people at MEPS. If you end up with asthma problems and you didn't get the appropriate waiver you can be in real trouble.

jrhd97
05-11-08, 05:11 PM
If you have allergies the cough may be nothing. When mine get bad and I get a lot of drainage I get a cough that is just agtevaiting.
We are all just speculating here on cause. Keep us informed on the DR visit.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-11-08, 07:52 PM
Also, it could be a simple Respitory illness. If you have a history of asthma, you might be more prone to RI's such as bronchitis, pneumonia, and standard URI's.