PDA

View Full Version : Navy to Marine?

stsholmes
05-07-08, 10:56 PM
Im currently enlisted in the USN as a submariner. I want some information on becoming a marine. I know the army had a blue to green program, and the navy would sometimes dissolve the contract and allow somone to transfer to the other service. I dont think that they would so that in my case, as Im considered a special force.

As far as cross rating I dont care about trying to find something that compares to my rate that im in right now. Im kind of wanting to go infantry or even scout sniper. I know i might not be able to keep my rank, as i'll most likely be E-5. And as far as marine boot camp goes, Id kind of prefer to go through it.

If any one has an advice, or knows anyone that has done this...

Thanks

davblay
05-08-08, 12:18 AM
Im currently enlisted in the USN as a submariner. I want some information on becoming a marine. I know the army had a blue to green program, and the navy would sometimes dissolve the contract and allow somone to transfer to the other service. I dont think that they would so that in my case, as Im considered a special force.

As far as cross rating I dont care about trying to find something that compares to my rate that im in right now. Im kind of wanting to go infantry or even scout sniper. I know i might not be able to keep my rank, as i'll most likely be E-5. And as far as marine boot camp goes, Id kind of prefer to go through it.

Thanks
I salute you and your submarine service, I don't know how you guys do it. But unfortunatley the only way into the Corp is thru either MCRD San Diego or Parris Island! I don't care if you are a E-1 or E-7!

If you just want to wear our uniform and serve with a Marine unit you may want to consider a change of MOS to Corpsman, then you might be able to serve with a Fleet Marine unit and keep your rank!

At your age of 22, I assume you may have what a couple of years in the Navy? Then you would be 24 when you go thru Boot Camp, which is still very do-able as we have recruits that age every day. You would keep all your recognized ribbons and medals and wear them on your Marine Corps Uniform if you graduate, and with the rank of PFC (E-2). Of course very rarely we do graduate Marines as L/CPL (E-3). Of course that pay grade will be over 4 years (if that's what you serve in the navy).

The Marine corps will give you a chance to choose a MOS but then you will have to qualify for and pass the course to get it, if there is an opening when you want/need it!

Good luck Sailor, Thank you for your service.

Dave

stsholmes
05-08-08, 12:53 AM
Thanks davblay!

Im E-4 right now...thats gonna be a heck of a paycut...lol But it may end up being worth it. I get kinda bored easy doing the same thing all the time, and every one i talk to in the marines says they really dont do the same thing ever just because of the environment they are in. And going marines is kinda like keeping it in the same family so. Navy boot camp was kinda pain in the ass, but looking back...it was fun. Cant wait to go to Marine boot!

Thanks

SgtHopperUSMC
05-08-08, 02:58 AM
Thanks davblay!

Im E-4 right now...thats gonna be a heck of a paycut...lol But it may end up being worth it. I get kinda bored easy doing the same thing all the time, and every one i talk to in the marines says they really dont do the same thing ever just because of the environment they are in. And going marines is kinda like keeping it in the same family so. Navy boot camp was kinda pain in the ass, but looking back...it was fun. Cant wait to go to Marine boot!

ThanksOh its sooo much fun! :)

WalkingMan
05-08-08, 05:43 AM
Thanks davblay!

Thanks

I might draw some fire for mentioning this, but seeing as how you are still in the Navy, and are the type of individual who looks forward with enthusiasm to USMC Boot Camp, have you given any thought to applying for BUD/S?

TJR1070
05-08-08, 08:48 AM
What kind of individual that wants to be a Marine consistently doesn't capitilize the word. The first thing you should have researched is the rules on this site. The title Marine is always capitilized especially when envoked from a someone who wants to be one.

stsholmes
05-08-08, 10:53 AM
I might draw some fire for mentioning this, but seeing as how you are still in the Navy, and are the type of individual who looks forward with enthusiasm to USMC Boot Camp, have you given any thought to applying for BUD/S?

Ever go swimming in the Sand Diego area even in summer? Its damn cold! But BUD/S is a possibility.

stsholmes
05-08-08, 10:56 AM
What kind of individual that wants to be a Marine consistently doesn't capitilize the word. The first thing you should have researched is the rules on this site. The title Marine is always capitilized especially when envoked from a someone who wants to be one.

Sorry I apologize. I'll capitalize Marine.

Big Jim
05-08-08, 01:17 PM

Thanks

When I went through Parris Island in 1984, our guide was former Navy and was meritoriously promoted to Pfc. for staying the guide through the whole time of boot camp. We all hated the backstabbing snitch...and we got him back night before graduation. His uniform was immaculate but the bruises on his face and 2 blackeyes really stood out!! LOL!

So, it IS possible!

TJR1070
05-08-08, 02:17 PM
Being prior service can hurt you (see above post) or it can help you. It's all about the way you conduct yourself. In my Platoon in Boot Camp we had a prior Army Sgt. who other than bringing his entire seabag ( I think they call it a duffel bag...whatever) with him to Parris Island really had no problems in Boot Camp and excelled. He kept his mouth shut, tried to help other recruits around him and was someone you could count on to do the right thing. If we hadn't seen him bring his seabag we probably would never have known he was in the Army (well that's not true the Drill Instructors never let him forget it). So other than a litle extra attention from the D.I's you probably will have a normal recruit training experienceas long as you don't expect to Wow everyone with your "sister service" accomplishments. Also I met alot of Marines with prior Coast guard time, I don't know if that is as common today.

HN Mullins
05-08-08, 03:11 PM
Petty Officer Holmes, like was stated above, cross rating to HM or going BUD/S would keep you in the same pay grade, being a Corpsman I can tell you will never be boring especially being attached with a grunt unit, once you have proven yourself and your Marines start calling you Doc there will be no better feeling of accomplishment. Corps school is I beleive still 14 wks at Great Lakes, from there you can put on your dream sheet 2nd Mar Div or 1st Mar Div or any other Marine divisions and being a male you will more than likely recive orders to one once you complete Field Medical Training Battilion.
That is my 2 cents, I had a great time being a Green Side Corpsman.

Doc Mullins

stsholmes
05-08-08, 10:36 PM
Petty Officer Holmes, like was stated above, cross rating to HM or going BUD/S would keep you in the same pay grade, being a Corpsman I can tell you will never be boring especially being attached with a grunt unit, once you have proven yourself and your Marines start calling you Doc there will be no better feeling of accomplishment. Corps school is I beleive still 14 wks at Great Lakes, from there you can put on your dream sheet 2nd Mar Div or 1st Mar Div or any other Marine divisions and being a male you will more than likely recive orders to one once you complete Field Medical Training Battilion.

Doc Mullins

Any tips for killing my anxiety for needles? Its crazy, Some times im fine, other times im like...ahh crap. I'd love nothing more than to cross rate to HM i guess being around it would help alot....lol

Thanks

BR34
05-09-08, 05:56 AM
You went from wanting to be Infantry/scout sniper, and preferring to go to a Marine Corps Recruit Depot to "I'd love nothing more than to cross rate to HM" in only 1 day?!?!

You're confused! You need to give yourself some time to really think about what you want, because I hate disgruntled Marines that always talk about what they should/shouldn't have done.

WalkingMan
05-09-08, 06:03 AM
Ever go swimming in the Sand Diego area even in summer? Its damn cold! But BUD/S is a possibility.

Yes, I did a huge amount of swimming along that coastline, from the Mexican border, Coronado Island, San Onofre, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, and points north, up to Santa Monica and LA.

Yes, the water is cold, and BUD/S training has a well-known reputation for focusing on endurance to cold, due to the nature of their mission, so it would probably not be a good idea to follow that career track, for anyone who was not really willing to dedicate themselves to swimming, diving, and existing for long periods of time, in near-hypothermia conditions.

I just figured it was worth mentioning.

If I hadn't joined the Marines, I might have joined the Navy and gone UDT, because one of the guys in the crowd I grew up with did go Navy/UDT, so I was aware of the opportunity. Everybody else in the neighobourhood went USMC, though (it was the 1960's, and Vietnam was calling), pretty much all at once, so I went that way, and have never been sorry.

HN Mullins
05-09-08, 06:21 AM
Petty Officer Holmes, its all mind over matter, if you just think about your job and the good you are doing then you will not mind the needle, in Corps school you will get over that pretty quick if indeed you dedicate yourself to being a Corpsman.

Doc Mullins

WalkingMan
05-09-08, 06:41 AM

Doc Mullins

Hooyah Doc Mullins!

I am always glad to see a Corpsman, and have never met a Corpsman who was not able to prove himself in the field, or in the Bush.

You guys saved the lives of a lot of my friends, and kept me on my feet and in the field through jungle rot, dysentery, 'road rash'(bits of embedded rock and dirt from concussion grenades) and some sort of nameless raging fever that lasted for a few days.

There were only three elements in a grunt company that did not bother 'digging in' at night... command (the Skipper and this radio operator, and XO), the FO teams (I was on the point FO team), and the Corpsman.

For these three elements, having a hole was useless, because as soon as the shooting started, or there was incoming, , Command, FO teams, and Corpsman were on their feet, and moving towards the points of contact, Command, to direct ground fire, FO's to direct artillery and air fire, and Corpsman, to take care of the wounded.

All the Corpsmen I served with were shooters, as well as healers, and knew how to handle themselves in a gunfight as well as any Marine Operator.

One thing I have often wondered... are all Corpsmen as good as the ones I have encountered in the Marines, of does the Marine Corps get the 'cream of the crop' of Navy Corpsmen?

HN Mullins
05-09-08, 08:16 AM
I would not say that the Corps gets the cream of the crop because just like any thing else you will get some less desirables, but the sh!t birds get weeded out pretty quick, for the most part most all the Corpsman I knew were motivated and willing to do what ever it took to take care of their Marines, I sure do miss not being there anymore, I did not want any other duty than serving with the Corps.

Doc Mullins

stsholmes
05-10-08, 06:17 PM
Doc Mullins, You have me very interested now. I think i'll talk to the doc on our boat, he is prior FMF, and he may be able to point me in the right direction.

ZSKI
05-14-08, 01:20 PM
I would not say that the Corps gets the cream of the crop because just like any thing else you will get some less desirables, but the sh!t birds get weeded out pretty quick, for the most part most all the Corpsman I knew were motivated and willing to do what ever it took to take care of their Marines, I sure do miss not being there anymore, I did not want any other duty than serving with the Corps.

Doc Mullins

Thats why we do everyting possible to take care of Doc.

Wyoming
05-14-08, 01:48 PM
... and our Doc's always had money.

Prolly because they NEVER had to buy a drink in the E-Club!!!

cpl larry
06-08-08, 12:48 AM
When I went through MCRD SD in 84 we had a prior service NAvy corpmen in our platoon he made it through but it looked strange at graduation he was a PFC with 2 service stripes on his sleeve meaning 8 years of service.