PDA

View Full Version : Infantry MOS question

Will the Thrill
05-05-08, 11:14 PM
Hello Marines
I was just wondering, when I go to ITB will I have a choice of what I get trained as? Ex:(rifleman, mortarman, machine gunner, etc.) I really want to be a basic 0311. I was just wondering how all that is determined. Thanks for the help!

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-05-08, 11:53 PM
They will ask you. They change how it is done from time to time, but you will have some input. I don't know many, or any, 03 types that didn't get their first or second choice. And just about everyone I knew that wanted to be an 11 got it.

JordanB
05-05-08, 11:55 PM
You get a "wish list" they will ask you to make a list of mos's in the 03 field that you want, usually anyone who puts 11 gets it unless they want you for weapons, but more often you will get it unless they decide to screw you over and put you in 8th and I or change you to a 13(lav crewman) after your training like they did to a lot of my buddys I graduated with.

Will the Thrill
05-06-08, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys! That is what I wanted to hear. I am really set on being an 0311. Thanks for the help.

AL49BGN
05-06-08, 11:12 AM
YOU WILL MOST LIKELY GET 0311 IF YOU PLACE IT FIRST ON YOUR WISH LIST HOWEVER THE PFC IS RIGHT THEY CAN PLACE YOU WEREVER THERE IS A NEED.GOOD LUCK WITH MOS.JUST DON'T GET MORTERS.HUMPING WITH THEM SUCKS.:marine:

cpl larry
06-08-08, 12:59 AM
in 84 when I got to ITS they told you what you were going to do but if a machine gunner wanted to be an 0311 he was allowed to do so. Oh and I read in another thread that recruits now get a 10 day leave in the middle of boot camp is this true

rvillac2
06-09-08, 03:05 AM
in 84 when I got to ITS they told you what you were going to do but if a machine gunner wanted to be an 0311 he was allowed to do so. Oh and I read in another thread that recruits now get a 10 day leave in the middle of boot camp is this true

Well, it depends on how you look at it. Initial training is now broken up into two paths. The grunts do the same thing they've always done, boot camp, 10 day leave, and then SOI for their MOS. All non-grunts do, boot camp, 10 day leave, then MCT (Marine Combat Training) for a few weeks and then go to their MOS school. MCT is a more advanced course in the same topics we had in 2nd phase of our boot camp (Mine was 1986).

But no, there is no 10 day leave during the original 13 weeks at MCRD.