PDA

View Full Version : Got the itch?

Sway
05-02-08, 11:23 PM
I am a frosh in College right now and I ship to Parris Island May 19th, any other poolees out there whos mind is completely off of school at this point?

To the Marines who may be reading...

Im sure you've been there, remember those pre MCRD jitters? I'm gunned to go, but every time I let my mind wander I begin to think of the "what if" situations.. I think any poolee who hasnt isnt tell the truth... feel free to share you stories.

Thanks a lot

TR

Donut Brigade
05-03-08, 12:17 AM
I prefer not to even think about getting dropped if that's what you mean. I've failed things much easier than boot camp in my past, only now I've finally found some dedication and moto in myself to actually do something. That's why I train, train, train...I don't want to get hurt.

dtsetzer
05-03-08, 12:24 AM
I'm right there with you Sway. I don't know how many times I've run the 'what if's' through my head, worried if I had made the right decision, realize yes, I have, and then worry more about getting hurt or dropped. I just try to think ahead a few months, try to imagine how it would feel to be handed the Eagle Globe and Anchor, and set my mind straight that I can make it. Then you know, go PT or something, that's always good too!

-Poolee Setzer

Sway
05-03-08, 12:30 AM
I'm right there with you Sway. I don't know how many times I've run the 'what if's' through my head, worried if I had made the right decision, realize yes, I have, and then worry more about getting hurt or dropped. I just try to think ahead a few months, try to imagine how it would feel to be handed the Eagle Globe and Anchor, and set my mind straight that I can make it. Then you know, go PT or something, that's always good too!

-Poolee Setzer

haha this in and of itself describes everything.. you think about it, you get nervous and then you train more... well at least we are all on the same page. I realize they dont gvie gold stars for ****, but I brought my pullups from 5 at the MEPS (I know, pathetic) to 13 (still pathetic...). All I work for is that one moment.

And we have all failed things.. maybe this is where the true character is brough out.

NeedSomePT
05-03-08, 12:37 AM
Even if you think you're 100% sure about something (anything), there's always that 5% in the back of your head that's telling you "no!" or "what if?" or anything else you can think of.

My recruiter said you can't be truly 100% sure that you made the right choice until you earn the EGA. He said there's not a Marine out there who didn't sh1t a brick when they got off the bus at the MCRD.

My ship date is still months away and I occasionally have all those thoughts running in my head. I expect it to get more frequent the closer it gets.

As long as it doesn't ruin you or something I'd say it is completley normal.

Marine84
05-03-08, 07:38 AM
He said there's not a Marine out there who didn't sh1t a brick when they got off the bus at the MCRD.

Some were even gold ones. LOL!

My biggest motivating factor (and I got recycled but, only because MY STUPID A$$ didn't put out enough steam when I should have).........................I was NOT going to leave that Island as a FAILURE! I was leaving with Title, EGA & Uniform to prove it to everybody that said I couldn't that I did.

Camper51
05-03-08, 11:31 AM
Some were even gold ones. LOL!

My biggest motivating factor (and I got recycled but, only because MY STUPID A$$ didn't put out enough steam when I should have).........................I was NOT going to leave that Island as a FAILURE! I was leaving with Title, EGA & Uniform to prove it to everybody that said I couldn't that I did.

For anyone who truly wants and believes, FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION.

Like Kim said. She wasn't leaving the Island without that EGA no matter what. Even her little setback did not dissuade her from her goal...

Sway
05-03-08, 11:52 AM
I completely understand the motivation issue, I just cant afford to have any setbacks because I need to be back in school in the fall --> only a limited time I am able to complete basic training

bbond007
05-03-08, 12:17 PM
Idk I leave in 2 months and i can not wait like i wish it was tomorrow, im in good shape right now im am ready son.. but i wouldn't think to much in to it just BUST UR A$$ man do e/t 120%, thats what i plain on..good luck.

Newski45
05-03-08, 08:20 PM
I know what everybody means, I leave next month and I'm excited and nervous as each day gets closer, but ultimately I want to be there right now as well. I want this more than anything, and I know that nothing will stop me from earning the EGA.

Phantom Blooper
05-03-08, 08:40 PM
Got the itch?

Goldbond powders,sprays and creams do wonders!

What the hell is a frosh in college?Does that means freshman.

:evilgrin:

Sway
05-04-08, 12:26 AM
Goldbond powders,sprays and creams do wonders!

What the hell is a frosh in college?Does that means freshman.

Will keep in mind sir. Yes it does, I guess it is a term they use at my school at least.

Darrell B
05-04-08, 12:33 AM
I can't wait to leave for MCRD San Diego. If I hadn't decided to join the Corps I'd be sitting on my lazy a** doing nothing but eating and mooching of my parents after graduation. I'm excited for boot camp and not earning but CLAIMING my title of Marine. My high school graduation (June 7th :D) won't be nearly as exciting as my boot camp grad. I can not wait to leave once again lol.

Sway
05-04-08, 12:40 AM
good luck man
Im shipping soon also

Darrell B
05-04-08, 03:12 AM
good luck man
Im shipping soon also
You to man.

fs19
05-04-08, 06:44 AM
I made a thread about this same thing a few days ago. Pretty much right when I hit the 1 month mark it just hit me that this is for real. I still can't wait, but I keep going back and forth between being super moto and nervous. I will graduate though, no matter what.

Mindgame
05-04-08, 08:52 AM
I completely understand the motivation issue, I just cant afford to have any setbacks because I need to be back in school in the fall --> only a limited time I am able to complete basic training

Keep your mind off of getting dropped, or failing something. Just do it.

Nothing on PI is Impossable. Well maybe the Drill Instructors games, but thats a differant story.

There where a few things that I worried about, and was way to nervous when I was doing it. I didn't do the best of my ability because I was to nervous. Just keep your mind on what activity your doing at that moment.

Like I said. Non of it is impossable. Alot of things are going to be tough, but you just find the motivation to keep pushing through the pain.

Just do what your told to do, and you will be perfectly fine.

Wyoming
05-04-08, 10:05 AM
Idk I leave in 2 months and i can not wait like i wish it was tomorrow, im in good shape right now im am ready son.. but i wouldn't think to much in to it just BUST UR A$$ man do e/t 120%, thats what i plain on..good luck.

I can't understand flip-all about what you said, AND, your profile is still TOTALLY screwed up.

Someone help me here, but aren't there some punctuation and proper posting rules, and the such, out there?

TypeOrange
05-04-08, 12:09 PM
I have had those thoughts also. I ship in 3 months to MCRD San Diego, and i am excited as can be. I am not in great shape, but i am not in bad shape if you know what i mean. I can do 5 pullups and 80 crunches in 2 minutes, but when it comes to my run, its horrible: 1.5 mile in 14:22. I am in my weight class, too.

I am just afraid of getting put into PCP or getting hurt and recycled. I have time to improve and train to try and prevent that though.

Sway
05-04-08, 12:25 PM
I think I will take your advice and just focus on one thing at a time. I know that I have the motivation and the heart to do it so if I can stick to my guns, I will be alright.

I have had those thoughts also. I ship in 3 months to MCRD San Diego, and i am excited as can be. I am not in great shape, but i am not in bad shape if you know what i mean. I can do 5 pullups and 80 crunches in 2 minutes, but when it comes to my run, its horrible: 1.5 mile in 14:22. I am in my weight class, too.

I am just afraid of getting put into PCP or getting hurt and recycled. I have
time to improve and train to try and prevent that though.

I would say defintely train and improve man, I have been in the same exact spot you were, before I was too heavy or out of shape to join the Marines, I was 5'8 and like 215 and now I am 5'9 and 185, I couldnt do one pullup in highschool and now I can do 12, My run has dropped from a 14 minute mile to a 7:15... I was lousy and disgusting, and the Marine DI's see us all as that way..... they should...we're civilians right now. Get pumped up and motivated so that you do your best when you try to join these men's ranks.. I know it will be worth it.

Whitey
05-04-08, 01:02 PM
before boot camp i quit my job 2 months before shipping, cut ties with alot of my friends, started working out everyday and to this day i regret all of it. boy did i get the itch or what?

Sway
05-04-08, 01:09 PM
I would say you got itchy, maybe this is the best example we can be given to not get to nervous, because what happens happens. Might as well not get gray hair or burn bridges over it.

Newski45
05-05-08, 09:36 AM
I made a thread about this same thing a few days ago. Pretty much right when I hit the 1 month mark it just hit me that this is for real. I still can't wait, but I keep going back and forth between being super moto and nervous. I will graduate though, no matter what.

I'm on the same boat as you I leave in a month to San Diego, I'm trying to enjoy my time here even though I want to leave more than anything. I'm more moto than nervous, and I know that I want this more than anything in the world, and nothing will stop me from earing the title. Yesterday I ran 5 miles, I jogged for about 98% and walked only about 2%, I ran it in approximately 32 mins, I just wanted to know if this was a good time?

JeredA
05-06-08, 12:54 AM
I to have been feeling nervous here lately, I leave the 22nd of June so it is getting closer but my good friend is there right now with a month left and a lot had no fatih in him but close friends and family and he is doing well...I suppose you just have to think lets do this...Im in decently good shape as i work out and run some...Running makes me nervous but I do just worry way to much..have to get past it and we all will..Team work is essential I have been told and i do believe it...I believe some good moto is needed in all of us poolees

sparkie
05-06-08, 05:05 PM
I can't understand flip-all about what you said, AND, your profile is still TOTALLY screwed up.

Someone help me here, but aren't there some punctuation and proper posting rules, and the such, out there?

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses in some of these kids. It's diffucult for them younguns to overcome the 'Internet Desease' of Craptype.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-06-08, 05:16 PM
Yesterday I ran 5 miles, I jogged for about 98% and walked only about 2%, I ran it in approximately 32 mins, I just wanted to know if this was a good time?

The time is fine, but you need to stop walking. The PT runs are just that- runs. You don't get to walk so teach yourself that now.

PatriotGirl422
05-06-08, 07:14 PM
We've all been there. I shipped to boot camp last year on my last day of final exams at college. I actually had to take a couple exams early because I had two on the day I shipped. It was hard to focus, but time will go by fast. Just try to enjoy your last days of being a nasty civilian.

Newski45
05-07-08, 09:16 AM
The time is fine, but you need to stop walking. The PT runs are just that- runs. You don't get to walk so teach yourself that now.

Yes Corporal