PDA

View Full Version : Infantry MOS

Chaynay
05-02-08, 02:42 PM
I recently took the ASVAB test and scored an overall of 76. My GT score was 115. I told my recruiter from day one that I really wanted to do infantry as I have been set on that MOS for about four years. He kept questioning me if I wanted to do RECON and I told him that was def. an option for me. I did my first IST with no problem and a week later called my recruiter to set up the paintball poolee event. He told me he had bad news about the infantry MOS and that it was filled. I was wondering if anyone had information regarding the infantry MOS and if you believe it is actually full. I do know that a large portion of recruits joining want to be infantry. Do you think my recruiter wants me to do something different because of my GT score. I am going to tell my recruiter tomorrow that infantry is the only way I will go. I do not want to be stuck with a MOS for the next four years that I do not want. Can anyone give me any ideas regarding this issue. By the way I leave for Basic on May 28th.

Thanks
Jason Cheney

rvillac2
05-02-08, 02:56 PM
What is Basic?
Fill out your profile and read the rules of the site.
Are you really a Poolee? meaning you already signed a contract? or is your lack of attention to detail so pervasive that you selected the wrong classification for yourself?

SGT7477
05-02-08, 02:57 PM
It all depends where the Corps needs you.

Chaynay
05-02-08, 03:40 PM
Sir, my apologies. What I meant was I am leaving for Boot Camp on May 28, 2008. I signed the open contract at MEPS for my 4 years active duty. I am to discuss my next action with my recruiter regarding my MOS. That is where I had confusion about how and if the 0300 MOS is filled and if any of the Marines on this Forum had information about getting into infantry.

rvillac2
05-02-08, 03:58 PM
Very well. Welcome to the site.

Many poolees and wannabees have already posted here asking the exact same question. This is a seasonal issue and it appears that the situation is happening around the country. We do not doubt that your recruiter is telling you the truth.

You will receive two sorts of advice: Keep your ship date and take an alternate MOS that you would still be happy with OR hold out for an infantry slot and refuse to ship without it in your contract. 4 years is a long time to be unhappy with your job so you need to own your decision now.

Personally, I would hold out. Sometimes the recruiter may be able to dig a spot out. However, that's the advice that we're giving to a lot of kids. Not every one of them will be happy with the results.

Echo_Four_Bravo
05-02-08, 04:10 PM
I totally agree with the Sgt. Those are your only two options (well you could see if there are any security forces slots open which would get you to the infantry after a couple years). I'd wait it out and see if they could find something for you. There just may be some kid in Mississippi that wakes up in the morning and decides he'd rather be a tank driver than a grunt.

egbutler1
05-02-08, 04:16 PM
Open Contract??! NOOOO!!!! Great now your going to be put into some sh!t ass job that none wants and since you are OC you will fill that space nicely. Can you say COOK? Well regardless like the below posts you have only two options and unless you want to be wearing gold chevrons serving us omelets bail and tell your recruiter you want Infantry or its no go. You have up until you say that oath of enlistment the day before you go to decide. I'd really suggest holding out. And no now a days it is not uncommon for the Infantry to fill up, everyone wants to go to war. But someone out there won't make their ship date, bail out all together and you can fill their slot. Whatever you do regardless going in Open Contract is a bad idea. GL man, GL!

SGT7477
05-02-08, 04:20 PM
Someone has to be the cook,lol.

Danger Kane
05-02-08, 04:34 PM
I think I told another poolee in some other thread something similar. I was in the same situation as you when they said they had no infantry slots left, but I was already at MEPS when they told me this. I told them I would come back another day when there was one open, and sure enough they had magically produced an 0311 spot five minutes later. So the moral of the story is, don't settle for anything less than what you're joining for.

Unfortunately for you though, I do believe the minimum GT score for recon is 120.

Chaynay
05-02-08, 07:49 PM
Thank you for all of the advice. I will def. think about post-poning my ship date in order to have the MOS that I desire. I do have a question for you Danger Kane regarding the GT score for recon. Is it 120 now? All of the research I have done shows that it is or was 105. If you have an alternate source I do not know about I would like to know. Thank you once again for your help.

zackmerc
05-02-08, 08:29 PM
Actually, 03 field is full. At SOI, they were making entire new training companies within ITB to accomodate the influx of students. More and more kids these days are picking the 03 field because they think it's exciting. What they don't realize is that it is also very tiring and requires a lot of physical activity. Think hard before actually wanting it. With a GT score of 115 and 76, you may get some valuable jobs within the Corps.

Yeah, I thought the 03 field was all fun, excitement, cool weapons and gadgets but remember, you carry all that on your back and it gets extremely heavy.

Marine84
05-02-08, 10:04 PM
The SAME Infantry question from ANOTHER one?

bgsuwoody
05-02-08, 10:55 PM
I have said it time and time again to many friends and Marines. HEAD THIS WARNING: DO NOT SIGN A CONTRACT UNTIL YOU GET WHAT YOU WANT. TELL THE RECRUITER NO...BELIEVE ME IT MAY TAKE A MONTH OR TWO, BUT YOU'LL GET WHAT YOU WANT...SPOTS WILL OPEN IN OCTOBER...PERIOD!!!! YOU WILL REGRET IT, I KNOW MANY FRIENDS WHO DO. Get everything you want, its your life and its already tough enough to not be able to say at least ****...I chose this ****.

rvillac2
05-03-08, 03:47 AM
oohrah Lance Corporal Woodall.

Danger Kane
05-03-08, 11:43 AM
Thank you for all of the advice. I will def. think about post-poning my ship date in order to have the MOS that I desire. I do have a question for you Danger Kane regarding the GT score for recon. Is it 120 now? All of the research I have done shows that it is or was 105. If you have an alternate source I do not know about I would like to know. Thank you once again for your help.

It is 105, my mistake. I must have been thinking of some other secret squirrel job.

JordanB
05-06-08, 06:49 AM
"Yeah, I thought the 03 field was all fun, excitement, cool weapons and gadgets but remember, you carry all that on your back and it gets extremely heavy."

Not if you get sent to Light Armored Recon, YUT YUT!