PDA

View Full Version : Wrist/forearm pain after doing pull ups?

NeedSomePT
05-01-08, 10:11 PM
So last week I ordered a pull up bar that goes on the door and it came in on Friday. Ever since then I've been doing a ton of pull ups. I do a couple about each time I pass by the door.

Anyway, I'm having this pain in my forearm near the wrist. When I'm not doing anything it isn't really painful but I can feel it. It hurts like a ***** if I rotate my wrist quickly. If I rotate it slowly I can feel some pain also but not as badly.
I can't really tell if it is the bones or the muscles or what. It started a few days ago, I took a day off and the pain went away. I did pull ups again today and the pain came back.

Has anyone experienced this before? Should I get it checked out?

jrhd97
05-01-08, 10:15 PM
Lay off for several days then see how it feels. If no real improvement go see a doc.

dtsetzer
05-01-08, 10:15 PM
That's odd, is it your tendon? If it is, I suppose it could be tendonitis, but I'm not sure, that would be my only guess. Go see a doctor if it hurts that badly.

Petz
05-01-08, 10:21 PM
you've been doing a crap load of pull-ups!!! your grip is getting stronger!!! good job kid!... now, go see a doc to make sure you didn't strain that tendon like DT said... don't wait, just go! and if it did you'll be out of commision for like a month until it heals properly... otherwise you'll look at permanant damage... this happened to my foot and it kept hurting for a long time since I can't stop walking on my feet... so you'd probably get away with a week or so... I just wanted to scare you!! hahaha did it work?

Reagan
05-01-08, 11:46 PM
Do you do a lot of writing or computer work with that hand? Sometimes I get a mild pain in my right wrist after doing lots of pushups when I've also been doing lots of work at the computer. Usually just requires some careful stretching of the forearm muscles and keeping it from being in the same position for too long, maybe some ice too.

Brandon1
05-02-08, 12:06 AM
It could also be the start of a ganglion cyst. I had one a few months ago, and it hurt when I bent my wrist doing pushups, and while doing my pull ups. Not saying it is, i'm just saying that it could possibly be the start of one.

SlingerDun
05-02-08, 12:08 AM
Try tightening or 'choke up' your grip, hands closer together if your doing palms inboard chin-ups, a wide grip with these is not so ergonomically friendly, similar to curls with a straight barbell it tweeks some peoples wrists and forearms. If it still hurts switch to palms outboard pull-ups, they are much more friendly though i find them harder.

--->Dave

SEANstaah
05-02-08, 02:02 AM
sounds like your muscles are working.

i dont even grip the bar, i just hang from my fingers.