PDA

View Full Version : need info on MOS 0321 (recon)

immaproshooter
04-28-03, 12:49 AM
hey, i am about to turn 18 in 4 months, and am wanting to sign up for recon in the marines, do i just sign up for recon (0321) or do i have to sign up for basic infantry man (0300) ???? please help me, and if any of you are in recon what is it like and do you enjoy it or regret it....... :marine:

22DevilPup87
04-28-03, 10:43 AM
This is your first post so I'll be nice and not get on your case too much for asking a question that was just spoken about in length less than a week ago in the POOL-ee forum.

Leatherneck.com has a great search feature. You should see it on the left side of the upper blue bar. It literally took me less than 60 seconds to find this link (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6057&highlight=recon) for you. About half way down the page the issue of how to become a Recon Marine is addressed. One poster even put "Recon" in red text.

(Quick note: "Marine" and "Marines" are always capitalized.)

RoboRobinson17
04-28-03, 11:32 AM
One thing the Marines on this site emphasize is doing yer own research. They don't mind helping you, but ya gotta meet them halfway. Just as a warning, never use Semper Fi or the Marine Bust at the end of your post, until you recieve the Eagle Globe and Anchor. Just be glad us wannabes found you first, cause nobody makes a strong enough flak jacket to protect you from what these Marines can shell out! :banana: Good Luck on your quest.

Yours in Intensity,

Joe

RoboRobinson17
04-28-03, 11:59 AM
In yer profile, under "Years of Serice in the Marine Corps", you have "2004-?". NOBODY has the right to claim future service. The Marine Corps has an Attrition Rate of 11% males, 15% females. This...

immaproshooter
04-28-03, 12:38 PM
im sorry i didnt think of it that way i really did not mean to offend anybody, i changed my profile so it says that i will be in bootcamp in 2004, and thank you for the advice. and thank you 22DevilPup87 for the site, i really didnt know you could find information on here, i apalogize for the inconvinience, and i appreciate you taking the time to help me out

22DevilPup87
04-28-03, 01:12 PM
We know it's your first day around here and you're catchin' on just fine.

You're quite welcome for the link. I hope it helps.

RoboRobinson17
04-28-03, 01:13 PM
No problem, just trying to help ya out. Gotta look out for my fellow wannabes.....;)

Sixguns
04-28-03, 04:53 PM
OK, the short answer is you can get a Recon guarantee if you are qualified.

Longer answers can be found elsewhere in this forum and site.

Remember, we join the Corps to be Marines, not to be in an MOS or job. I won't get started on the whole recruiting process and all, but make sure you want to be a Marine first and foremost. If you are joining for a job, you are in the wrong place.

Sixguns

Sixguns
04-28-03, 05:00 PM
P.S.!!!!

To all my future Marines who posted:

You are learning! I am proud the lessons we preach have not fallen on deaf ears. As is our way, you must help other poolees or future Marine prospects to learn our ways. It helps you to develop a leadership style and gives you a deeper understanding of teamwork and comradrie. I intentionally did not jump off on the new guy because I had seen your efforts to square away the lost one first. As a leader, you should never underestimate your troops ability to get the job done on their own. You guys just make me look good when you beat me to the punch! Glad to watch you guys in action.

Sixguns

Patrick8605
04-28-03, 05:09 PM
I guess all us wannabes really WANNABE, I know I do...I'm going to. I'm going to the recruiter station tomarrow to talk with the Marines their and look at what I have to do to get squared away.

SSGT Hinson
04-28-03, 07:30 PM
First of all I would like to congradulate Sixguns on his group of fresh shower shoes they seem to be headed in the right direction. I was glad to se the other poolees square him away before any one else got ahold of him. We all know how we can be.

Also I want to agree with Sixguns Make Damn Sure you want to be a Marine fist and foremost. As we are all Infantrymen when the s**t hits the fan. Don't try and concentrate on just one MOS before you finish Infantry Training Battalion, oops School of Infantry. You never know you may just find something that you would like to do which could help you on your way to your ultimate goal of Recon. Don't get me wrong I loved being in Recon and I will galdly give my life for anyone of those guys still. But I am saying to keep your options open. The ore you learn the better equiped you'll be.

Remember "What doesn't Kill ya only makes you harder!" :marine:

P.S. Sixguns Enjoy your retirement Devil Dog!!!!!!

immaproshooter
04-28-03, 08:21 PM
thank you all for your advice, and i really do want to be a Marine above all else...i have always wanted to be a Marine since i can remember, i grew up on base in Pensacola, florida, and i can remember always watching those Marines everyday, and idealizing them.......

thepoorknight
04-29-03, 01:39 AM
immaproshooter,
My first time on the site and I saw your post. I'm working on my fifth year in the grunts and had dreams of recon when I first walked into the recruiter's office. I joined with an 0300 infantry option and was blessed enough to become a machinegunner. In a victor unit you will have plenty of chances to run an indoc but chances are you'll be happy where you are. the grunts have plenty of plusses you'll not have in a recone unit. If you enlist with a BRC (basic recon course) option you will never know these. I have also had the pleasure of working with many Marines from the recon community who will quickly tell you your chances are better if you hone your field craft in the infantry.
Hope I could help...

immaproshooter
04-29-03, 01:56 PM
well i was planning on signing up as a 0300 but i just really want to eventually become a member of Recon.