PDA

View Full Version : Are marine officers allowed to have tattoos?

rpad08
04-29-08, 09:11 PM
like one on the back thats not even visable unless you take off your shirt? i was just wondering because im going in NROTC program soon to become an officer and i was thinking about getting one but probably swaying away from it. I'm just really curious because i have not found an answer yet.

ecfree
04-29-08, 09:15 PM
If you want replys,PROFILE UP.:evilgrin:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-29-08, 09:19 PM
Wow, someone wants to be an officer but they can't even read... pretty sad.

rpad08
04-29-08, 09:24 PM
My apologies. I did not see the instruction post.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-29-08, 09:32 PM
OK, now to get to the point. It would be stupid to get a tattoo. Even if what you get is OK according to the rules today, they may change tomorrow. It is something you can live without, so you'd be better served by living without it.

Petz
04-29-08, 10:13 PM
yeah... he's right on there.... best to have joined years ago and been grandfathered like a real Marine..... like me.

Wyoming
04-30-08, 07:54 PM
yeah... he's right on there.... best to have joined years ago and been grandfathered like a real Marine..... like me.

Years ago??

Phantom Blooper
04-30-08, 08:00 PM
Do a search Sherlock and type in tattoo and see how many answers you can come up with.:evilgrin:

Marine84
04-30-08, 09:15 PM
Years ago??

LOL! He wasn't even a gleam in his Daddy's eye when YOU went through - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hell he was only 2 when I went in!

maverickmarine
05-01-08, 06:45 AM
Years ago...I love it!

sparkie
05-01-08, 08:21 AM
It's good hearing from an 'Old Salt' like that. Ge,we coulda served together, If it wern't those 30 years betwixt us.

Petz
05-01-08, 10:14 PM
I thought the cocky attitude and pause would have made it seem sarcastic... but it didn't work...

well to explain to you old farts in walkers and wheel chairs who served... they just recently changed the tattoo regs.. so when I was able to get drunk and get a tattoo without the CO burning me before 2005, since then you need to show a picture to the command, get written approval and then you can go get it done. so when I say years ago.... I meant years ago, more than a year, years... like 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 years. so laugh it up chuckles!! hahaa... hope you enjoyed the laughs guys.

Big Jim
05-01-08, 11:29 PM
I thought the cocky attitude and pause would have made it seem sarcastic... but it didn't work...

well to explain to you old farts in walkers and wheel chairs who served... they just recently changed the tattoo regs.. so when I was able to get drunk and get a tattoo without the CO burning me before 2005, since then you need to show a picture to the command, get written approval and then you can go get it done. so when I say years ago.... I meant years ago, more than a year, years... like 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 years. so laugh it up chuckles!! hahaa... hope you enjoyed the laughs guys.

Boy...and I DO mean boy...I don't know what your frikkin problem is but everytime I turn around, you have something ignorant or disrespectful to say...to EVERYONE! The cocky attitude isn't working...in case you haven't noticed. You're really making a name for yourself quick around here. Your blatant disrespect for elder Marines as well as to Poolies and civilians will take its toll. Don't worry, it ALL being gathered and you'll be dealt with accordingly and probably be banned for life from this site at the rate you're going!!

I just wish you'd exercise some frikkin respect for all of us trying to do the positive thing here for the poolies and people who want and need the information we possess. We're NOT here to glorify ourselves or act so superior that we argue with what we KNOW is right. We're here to help Marines and future Marines...now if you just want to show the side of yourself that has no respect for yourself or anybody else much less our Corps, maybe its YOU who shouldn't post here anymore.

SlingerDun
05-01-08, 11:41 PM
I've yet too see ink that jumped up in my face and said, WOW! look at me! I'm money well spent!

egbutler1
05-01-08, 11:42 PM
Boy...and I DO mean boy...I don't know what your frikkin problem is but everytime I turn around, you have something ignorant or disrespectful to say...to EVERYONE! The cocky attitude isn't working...in case you haven't noticed. You're really making a name for yourself quick around here. Your blatant disrespect for elder Marines as well as to Poolies and civilians will take its toll. Don't worry, it ALL being gathered and you'll be dealt with accordingly and probably be banned for life from this site at the rate you're going!!

I just wish you'd exercise some frikkin respect for all of us trying to do the positive thing here for the poolies and people who want and need the information we possess. We're NOT here to glorify ourselves or act so superior that we argue with what we KNOW is right. We're here to help Marines and future Marines...now if you just want to show the side of yourself that has no respect for yourself or anybody else much less our Corps, maybe its YOU who shouldn't post here anymore.

OOH RAH!

davblay
05-01-08, 11:43 PM
Thanks Big Jim, I thought it was only me that had noticed this! :sick:

I was being nice in my PMs to him to, I won't be any more as it seems he has a buddy system on this site already!

Dave

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-02-08, 03:36 AM
I feel the evilness starting to rise, :evilgrin: and i like it.

SGT7477
05-02-08, 06:43 AM

Far from a wheel chair SGT I think you should back up and show some respect for your fellow Marines here.:evilgrin:

Phantom Blooper
05-02-08, 07:06 AM
I guess we are all in bad shape! From the moment of birth you start to decay and do the dying process. We aren't pushing up clover and we ain't farting dust yet!

Twenty six and a SGT you are still young. FYI there have been shower shoes that have come through this portal older than you. I have children older than you.

We ain't on the death bed yet....and even with some disabilities we can still keep up with the younger generation! But,WHY should we when it's our job to sit on the porch and biatch about Dumbo's of the world?

Back up....REGROUP.....take a deep breath and reconsider these old folks comments.You may have the technology of this age.....but,the information was originally built by the OLDER generation that came before you! This generation only claims to be NEW & IMPROVED! NOW tell me how the hell you all do THAT?:evilgrin:

Marine84
05-02-08, 08:00 AM
I feel the evilness starting to rise, :evilgrin: and i like it.

And HERE she is. :banana:

sparkie
05-02-08, 08:27 AM
And HERE she is. :banana:

Thair she blows, me heartys. Batten yer hatches, and make ready the harpoon.

05-02-08, 10:17 AM
Your best bet would be to google it or just dont get one at all

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-02-08, 12:34 PM
Thair she blows, me heartys. Batten yer hatches, and make ready the harpoon.
I think i squirted a tear from laughing so hard.:beer:

Big Jim
05-02-08, 12:37 PM
I think i squirted a tear from laughing so hard.:beer:

Yeah, my brother Sparkie's a pretty original guy!! You GOTTA love him, ya know? He's brought a chuckle outta me a time or two!! LOL!!

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-02-08, 12:38 PM
Big Jim, i'm thinking we need to set up a BBQ!

Big Jim
05-02-08, 12:44 PM
Big Jim, i'm thinking we need to set up a BBQ!

THAT'S what we need!!!! Some time this weekend?! We gotta get everyone together...especially the girls!!! They like it too! Oh, don't forget Sparkie...he tends to be a lil' sensitive! LOL!

AL49BGN
05-02-08, 12:53 PM
rpad08 do you know what is the difference between a pfc and a 2nd Lt.
the pfc has been promoted once.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
05-02-08, 01:05 PM
THAT'S what we need!!!! Some time this weekend?! We gotta get everyone together...especially the girls!!! They like it too! Oh, don't forget Sparkie...he tends to be a lil' sensitive! LOL!

:evilgrin:
We'll start the BBQ with a all out throwdown, where everyone can chew out whomever for whatever, once all the hate and discontent has been aired out, we will commence to drinking and eating and sharing good times.
:beer:

Big Jim
05-02-08, 06:12 PM
:evilgrin:
We'll start the BBQ with a all out throwdown, where everyone can chew out whomever for whatever, once all the hate and discontent has been aired out, we will commence to drinking and eating and sharing good times.
:beer:

Dam...I was just looking forward to the beer and dancing nekkid girls!! Well, who'd you have in mind for a good azz chewin'?

sparkie
05-02-08, 06:21 PM
I'd love to chew Fistful,,,,, I Know he can chew back, with fair to middilin teeth no less. Nuthin better than bustin balls, and poppin tops.

sparkie
05-02-08, 06:39 PM
1] Are we off topic?

2] Why don't we meet at my place? BBQ,and margarita/corona swim party. If you all still have the stamina the next day, there is Vegas to explore.
It would have to be a Union meeting since it would be a leatherneck first, and therefore not a reunion. What say ya? [No, I'm not kidding].

There's room, I'd put ya up. :beer:

Big Jim
05-02-08, 06:55 PM
1] Are we off topic?

2] Why don't we meet at my place? BBQ,and margarita/corona swim party. If you all still have the stamina the next day, there is Vegas to explore.
It would have to be a Union meeting since it would be a leatherneck first, and therefore not a reunion. What say ya? [No, I'm not kidding].

There's room, I'd put ya up. :beer:

Sheeeit, brother...I'm there!!!! I wanna do it all!! Lets invite Kim and Danielle Nelly and Davblay, and MOG and Phantom, and Jack and Wing!!! Who else would be fun to drink with??? That'd be a down right hoot-n-nanny!!! LOL!!!

sparkie
05-02-08, 07:58 PM
OK, Bro. No Sheet. I'm setting a date. July 4th is a friday, works for me. Show up. PM me so I know how many 'dogs to buy. Anyone else have the webos? Drifter, you in? Meebe you need a vacation. Davblay, and Jetdawgg, I would love to see ya.

Braden
05-02-08, 08:24 PM
like one on the back thats not even visable unless you take off your shirt? i was just wondering because im going in NROTC program soon to become an officer and i was thinking about getting one but probably swaying away from it. I'm just really curious because i have not found an answer yet.
The policy recently changed.

ALMAR 014/07 (http://www.marines.mil/almars/almar2000.nsf/52f4f5d11f10b4c4852569b8006a3e35/ce7c18a9b2b3b2d5852572a3007babbf?OpenDocument)and MARADMIN 198/07 (http://www.usmc.mil/maradmins/maradmin2000.nsf/37f49138fc3d9c00852569b9000af6b7/ec7256307ac62075852572a3007c12fc?OpenDocument)

Tattoo Policy Change (Prohibits Tattoo Sleeves)

Change paragraph 1004.1c to read:
"c. Tattoos or brands on the head and neck. Sleeve tattoos are likewise prohibited.

A sleeve tattoo is a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos, that covers or almost covers a person’s entire arm or leg. Half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoos that are visible to the eye when wearing standard physical training gear (t-shirt and shorts) are likewise prohibited. A half-sleeve or quarter-sleeve tattoo is defined as a very large tattoo, or a collection of smaller tattoos that covers, or almost covers the entire portion of an arm or leg above or below the elbow or knee. Tattoos or brands that are prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale, or are of a nature to bring discredit upon the Marine Corps are also prohibited. "Prejudicial to good order, discipline and morale or are of a nature to bring discredit to the Marine Corps" may include, but are not limited to, any tattoo that is sexist, racist, vulgar, anti-American, anti-social, gang related, or extremist group or organization related.

(1) Marines who currently have a sleeve tattoo(s) will be grandfathered. The Marine’s command will insert a photograph(s) of the respective tattoo(s) along with a measurement(s) of the size in inches and of the location(s) on the body and the date the tattoo(s) was documented, on the Page 11 of the Marine’s service record book. The Marine will sign the Page 11 entry verifying the information is correct.

(2) The Deputy Commandant for Manpower and Reserve Affairs (DC M&RA) is designated as the adjudicating authority for any tattoo issue involving retention or special duty assignments. Review of a questionable tattoo(s) will be submitted to DC M&RA (MM) via the reenlistment, extension, lateral move system (RELMS). The package will include a photograph(s) of the tattoo(s), measurement(s) of the size in inches, description of the location(s) and explanation as to why the tattoo(s) has been deemed questionable by the commander."

However, the rules are even stricter with prospective Officer candidates. Few candidates are being accepted with visible tattoos (tattoos that are visible when in PT attire.) I had a few tattoos from my enlisted time in, and with the new policy each had to be photographed, documented, and I had to sign an agreement that I would not get any more.

My advice is to hold off. It's unlikely to be worth the potential for discrimination in the selection process.

WalkingMan
05-03-08, 05:34 AM
My advice is to hold off. It's unlikely to be worth the potential for discrimination in the selection process.

I never got any ink.

Instead, I got a 'patch jacket' with the EGA embossed on the back, and the unit patches for all the outfits I had the pleasure of serving with sewn on everywhere else.

Later, I also got a 'patch vest' with some considerably saltier patches sewn on.

A jacket can be easily put on and taken off to suit circumstances.

Body Ink is pretty difficult to remove.

What seems 'cool' when one is 20 may not seem so cool 25 years later.

SGT7477
05-03-08, 06:38 AM
I've had my tattoo's for over 30 years and never did bother me,OOHRAH.

Marine84
05-03-08, 09:16 AM
I never got any until I got out and didn't even get the first one til I turned 40.

Marine84
05-03-08, 09:20 AM
OK, Bro. No Sheet. I'm setting a date. July 4th is a friday, works for me. Show up. PM me so I know how many 'dogs to buy. Anyone else have the webos? Drifter, you in? Meebe you need a vacation. Davblay, and Jetdawgg, I would love to see ya.

Don't tease me.....................been a while since I been to Vegas. Wonder if I could make it on the flight this time (remember last summer I got off that bird cause they made me sit at the gate for 2 1/2 HOURS and still had to wait for 20 other birds in front of us to move!?!??!?! I get anxious just thinking about it!)

sparkie
05-03-08, 06:10 PM
No tease, Marine,,,, What i say, I mean.

Quinbo
05-04-08, 04:36 PM
rpad08 do you know what is the difference between a pfc and a 2nd Lt.
the pfc has been promoted once.

I somehow ended up with a working party of 2nd Lt's from TBS for the interservice rifle match. Long story but they had the credentials to run the scoring system.

I was smoking and joking with them one day and said that and the gunny over heard me. He came over and said ..... Do you know what you Sgt call a lieutenant that finished dead last in his class in OCS and dead last in his class at TBS? No gunny what? SIR! Now in my office.

Quinbo
05-04-08, 04:39 PM
I never got any ink.

Instead, I got a 'patch jacket' with the EGA embossed on the back, and the unit patches for all the outfits I had the pleasure of serving with sewn on everywhere else.

Later, I also got a 'patch vest' with some considerably saltier patches sewn on.

A jacket can be easily put on and taken off to suit circumstances.

Body Ink is pretty difficult to remove.

What seems 'cool' when one is 20 may not seem so cool 25 years later.

Words of wisdom! :beer:

WalkingMan
05-05-08, 05:50 AM
Words of wisdom! :beer:

In Vietnam I served with some ARVN and LDNN people who were very good and dedicated folks, who strongly believed in their cause. Some of them got the popular 'Sat Cong' tatoo, which means 'Kill Communists'.

I suspect that those who were not able to get out of Vietnam when the country fell were wearing their death sentence, and possibly a ticket to the 're-education camps' for their wives and children.

Tats might get 'special notice' in SERE, or worse, if one is captured by the enemy.

Hell Boy
05-13-08, 10:22 AM
Why would you want a tattoo? Do not get anything Marine Corps related before OCS. IF you make it through then consider one if that is your thing. Concentrate on getting to OCS first.