PDA

View Full Version : A change of life...

CMYoung972
04-27-08, 06:45 PM
Okay, first off... Im suprised I havent found this forum before, considering all the studying Ive done.
Im 20 years old and for the past year or so Ive thought long and hard about becoming a Marine.
Now, since I have basically been on my own since I was 16. Living with girlfriends family... Paying them rent $$ every month.
During highschool I decided to, for some reason, to get my GED and just continue to a full time job.
My Plan was to take college courses, and just having a GED wouldnt matter.
DUMB:thumbdown

Over time, I never started classes and just continued working, basically leading to nowhere...
But anyways, like a lot of other teens now days, I expirienced with marijuana usage... It wasnt all fun for me when one night a friend and I where pulled over, and taken into county jail. Ive heard stories from others who where only given a ticket for the amount we had, about 5 grams, but since we hid it, the officer decided to take us in... Once I was bailed out, I met with the probation office like I was supposed to... I was assigned 12 months of probation and community service. I went for about 3-4 months, then when my mom got sick in Atlanta, I left to help her... And needless to say, I stopped going to probation.
Around the time I was in Atlanta, I wanted and needed to get my life on track!
This is around the time I started to get really interested in becoming a Marine.
Ive recently met with a recruiter and he advised me that since I only have a GED and Ive had the run in with the law ( I didnt tell him I stopped going to probation ) I would have to take 15 Hrs/Credits of college courses and get a waiver for the misdemeanor...
Normally I could of had a waiver for the GED, but youre only allowed ONE waiver.

Im currently enrolled in college classes, working towards 15 hours...
Ive also contacted the county I have been in trouble with and to take care of my legal problems, I can go turn myself into the county jail and serve my time. (Id rather serve my time than bail out and do probation)

Now my main question is, What are the limits on waivers?
If it is taken care of, is there a reason the Marines woudlnt accept the Waiver?

Ive searched it up, and found people that have been sent to bootcamp because they recieved a waiver for a Felony... This was only a Class B Misdermeanor....

Thanks A lot, Chad.

jrhd97
04-27-08, 06:58 PM
You should have told the recruiter the whole story. He could have given you a more accurate answer. You need to straighten out your legal problems first. Get that done then talk to a recruiter. They can't and won't touch a potential recruit with unresolved legal issues. Seeing how you quit probation there is probably a warrant on you.

Wyoming
04-27-08, 07:20 PM
Good Gawd, you are in a bind.

GO ARMY!!

CMYoung972
04-27-08, 07:29 PM
Good Gawd, you are in a bind.

GO ARMY!!
Well once I finish the 15 Credits, which will be in August at the end of the summer semester, I'll just have the other thing to worry about... Which will be taken away by spending 5 days in jail.
It'll come down to the waiver.

jrhd97
04-27-08, 08:53 PM
I hope youre right. Good Luck

thewookie
04-28-08, 04:32 PM
You should have told the recruiter the whole story. He could have given you a more accurate answer. You need to straighten out your legal problems first. Get that done then talk to a recruiter. They can't and won't touch a potential recruit with unresolved legal issues. Seeing how you quit probation there is probably a warrant on you.

Nuff said.

Phantom Blooper
04-28-08, 04:42 PM
For the original title of this post...Change of Life.....you need to speak our resident experts Marine84 or Ellie (thedrifter) they maybe able to steer you in the right direction!:evilgrin:

sparkie
04-28-08, 06:33 PM
For the original title of this post...Change of Life.....you need to speak our resident experts Marine84 or Ellie (thedrifter) they maybe able to steer you in the right direction!:evilgrin:

Lmfao..... :beer:

I had a change of life once,,,,, I used to be an A-Hole.;}

Marine84
04-28-08, 09:07 PM

DAMMIT! Another laptop Phantom! LOL!

BR34
04-28-08, 09:25 PM
I was assigned 12 months of probation and community service. I went for about 3-4 months,

I can go turn myself into the county jail and serve my time. (Id rather serve my time than bail out and do probation)

I've had a few run-ins with the law in my day, so I'll hip you to a couple of things because you are severly misinformed.

You were convicted of a crime. The sentence was suspended on grounds you complete your probation. You didn't complete that probation, hell, you didn't even get close. Once you violate that probation your sentence is back in full effect. I'm pretty sure there's a bench warrant out for your arrest right now because your P.O. surely violated you.

You don't have to worry about bailing out of jail and completing your probation, as you say you'd rather not do. When you turn yourself in you're going to be on what's called probation hold. You're going to have to back up whatever your sentence was, minus time off for good behavior, and the time you've spent on probation, unless you get a drunk judge that just got laid after winning the powerball.

Ex: If the judge said "You are sentenced to 3 consecutive years of prison, deferred/suspended on the agreement you will honorably serve 12 months probation, meet with your P.O. once a month, pay XXX fines, and submit urine samples whenever deemed necessary." this means your ass belongs to the state for the rest of that sentence.

Forget the recruiter, you better get a lawyer before you turn yourself in. Don't be stupid and believe you're only going to back up 5 days on a 12 month probation. Think about it, why would your judge make your probation longer than your pontential jail time? Instead of calling the P.D. asking for advice you may want to call someone who doesn't want to see you locked up. And if a lawyer told you this crap, find a new one.

And as for you preferring to go to jail than do probation, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you haven't spent much time locked up. I guarantee you, your mind will change quick like. ****s not like T.V.

Normally I could of had a waiver for the GED, but youre only allowed ONE waiver.

There is no one waiver limit to join the Marine Corps. I had 7.

temarti
04-28-08, 10:27 PM
Some people change when they see the light, while others when they feel the heat. Take care of your legal issues first then regroup and think about what direction you want to take with your life. It will have to start with being honest with yourself then those who can help you. There just seems to be more baggage to the story. You do not get 12 months probation for 5gms of hidden weed, that would be a waiste of time for the officers and the courts.

BR34 has good advice for you, he had 7 waivers he did not hold anything back with his Recruiter therefore the Recruiter saw something and did what he could to get him in.

Good luck

CMYoung972
04-29-08, 05:46 AM
I spent the night in jail, untill I was bailed out the next day. I was set to 12 months probation, plus XXX amount of fines.
Im not sure exactly how much I had, but the PD just see's it as ,less than 2oz... I had about $10 worth, which isnt much at all...

Someone I was with in the car, didnt bail out and served 5 days. (normally 7, but weekends are 2 for 1.)
Once he was out, he had no probation, no court...
Im just thinking how messed up it is, that I payed money to bail out, then I have to pay to go to court, pay for probation, and have to go to probation... When someones can sit in jail for 5 days, and take up space... then get out and go on their way.

Phantom Blooper
04-29-08, 07:09 AM
Life is UNFAIR!

You did the CRIME now straighten it out and do the TIME!

Your cohorts in CRIME are not friends.....THEY screwed you and let YOU take the rap. The Marine Corps calls them BUDDY FUKERS(SIC)!

Do your time and apply for you waivers.

Hopefully the trend will not be that if and when you are able to join a branch that you may have a problem and just leave without going through the proper protocol and procedures.

YOU made your bed now lie in it! Choose your enemies wisely and if you lay with dogs you may get fleas.

And from your last post it was not much at all....it was still illegal and the 5 branches of service have a zero tolerance for drugs. It doesn't make it better by saying it was only a little bit vice ten kilos or pounds. Accept the cards as they fall and so far from what I've read you are still making excuses and whining.

GO Air Force,Army,Navy or Coast Guard...if you go Coastie you can coast through life..........:evilgrin:

thedrifter
04-29-08, 08:11 AM

Now that is a scary thought...:D

The Best Advice

Ellie