PDA

View Full Version : Considering the USMC

bonnjanry
04-27-08, 06:09 PM
Hello,

I am an 18 year old senior in high school and I am going through confusing times in terms of what I want to do with my life. I've been accepted to attend San Francisco State University in the fall of 2008 but I'm having serious thoughts about the Marine Corps. Lately I have gone from flirting with the idea of enlisting, to considering it, to seriously considering. However, I do have a couple of questions that hopefully you guys will be able to answer.

If I enlist, I will not be going to college. What kind of future can I expect after serving in the USMC? I just want to hear stories from people who took the route of going straight to the USMC after high school. Did you guys go to college and earn a degree afterwards? Or do most recruits have a college degree already, or at least attended college? How many do you guys think go to the USMC after high school?

Also, what kind of attitudes do you guys, and the USMC in general, have about smoking cigarettes?

I will try to talk to a recruiter in a few days but I just wanted to ask these specific questions in order to get a firsthand experience.

Thank you for your time (also, I filled out my profile to the best of my ability. If there is anything else missing, please let me know).

RYDERKUR
04-27-08, 06:13 PM
Ha, what are our attitudes on smoking. From my experience, probably 90% of us either smoke or dip. Just don't walk and do it, and field strip those butts and throw them in a ****can. I'll tell you, withdrawals are a ***** in bootcamp, didn't lose my craving for one day during the three months, but that should be nothing of a deciding factor.

bonnjanry
04-27-08, 06:16 PM
Also, I wanted to know how long it takes between enlisting and being shipped to boot camp?

RYDERKUR
04-27-08, 06:17 PM
I've seen in happen in a matter of a couple days. It can be up to a year though if you need or desire the time.

bonnjanry
04-27-08, 06:21 PM
Oh, it is your choice?

RYDERKUR
04-27-08, 06:25 PM
More or less. You might run into a slight slowdown if you want to leave like a day or two after you go thru MEPS (the enlistment process), but it pretty much is your choice.

jrhd97
04-27-08, 06:39 PM
You can easily attend college after your enlistmnet. In many cases you can take classes and even earn a degree while in. That is also up to you.

rvillac2
04-28-08, 12:41 AM
The vast majority of recruits come straight out of high school. A small percentage have had some college and a very rare few have actual 4 year degrees.

Many Marines finish their enlistment with a renewed enthusiasm for college. They've discovered self discipline, good study habits, and the rewards of hard work and study. Other Marines could care less about advancing their education and are satisfied with blue collar work. Either way, living a military lifestyle prepares you to be independent and hard working. Of course, there is the small percentage that take very little away from their experience and just plod through life and work.

One thing about Marine smokers, you won't find them throwing their cigs on the ground and littering the area like you slimy civilians. If you're caught doing that on base, you may spend the next week cleaning and painting rocks in front of the base general's office.

I don't really judge people for getting hooked on cigarettes, but it really is horrible for your body. Personally, I chose sunflower seeds. I ended up with crack lips and always thirsty. But..I never had to walk 50 yards away from the gunpowder canisters to sneak a drag.

I do enjoy a Macanudo Gold Label every now and then. ; )

thewookie
04-28-08, 04:26 PM
I do enjoy a Macanudo Gold Label every now and then. ; )

That's mighty fine taste you have Sgt. V!

rvillac2
04-28-08, 04:53 PM
We'll have to burn a couple some time Mike. I always have some at the Ball.:thumbup:

thewookie
04-28-08, 05:16 PM
I've always said,,,next time I'm in town!:beer: