PDA

View Full Version : Airborne Engineer

Abyss
04-26-08, 05:26 PM
Marines,

My ambition is to become an Marine Airborne Combat Engineer. Along my path to achieving my goal, some questions have surfaced. Is it possible for me to get an Airborne option in my contract, if so what specific piece of wording would I need to make sure I have it? I searched the forums and read that there is no guarantee to what type of engineer I may become. Is there any possible action I could do to make sure I get to be a combat engineer?

Thank you for letting me be apart of your community,

Abyss

jackson07
04-26-08, 05:35 PM
No there is nothing you can do to make sure you are a combat engineer (for a active duty contract you can only chose a MOS field, not the specific MOS), unless you join the reserves for that MOS. And no you can not get an airborne contract, that is the Army only. No such thing in the USMC. Sorry...

And there is a very very very small chance of ever getting to jump school as a combat engineer.

Abyss
04-26-08, 05:42 PM
No there is nothing you can do to make sure you are a combat engineer (for a active duty contract you can only chose a MOS field, not the specific MOS), unless you join the reserves for that MOS. And no you can not get an airborne contract, that is the Army only. No such thing in the USMC. Sorry...

And there is a very very very small chance of ever getting to jump school as a combat engineer.

Marine Jackson07,

Thank you for your anwser. It lead me into another question. How does the Marine Corps decide who goes to what engineer job?

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-26-08, 05:47 PM
By what is needed more at the moment they are assigning the orders and pure luck of the draw. Assuming you're fully qualified to be a combat engineer they will look and see what jobs in that field need bodies. They will then assign the Marines according to those needs at their own discretion. There is nothing you can do to influence their decision.