PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Marines about joining

gobuffs10
04-26-08, 03:01 AM
Hello everyone. As my title says, I'm thinking of joining the Marines. I am 20, in college, and about to finish my sophomore year. My grades are very very far from good. School has always come very easy to me; I have always gotten by with very minimal effort on my part. I thought that I would get to college and coast through again, and, well...that's not how it works. My parents told me last week that, due to my lack of performance, they are pulling my money for tuition and rent.

I have had an interest in the military and considered joining from a young age. Honestly, I have never done anything challenging in my life. I think that means that I know very little about myself and my capabilities.

I want to join the Marines or the Army. I am meeting with a recruiter from each next week. My concern with the Marines is that it's 4 years, and I was told with the Army I can do two. The thing is, I'm just not sure I can up and leave my life for four years. The reason I want to do this is to challenge myself, learn some self-discipline, some respect, some perspective, feel a sense of responsibility, and maybe for once feel good about what I do with my time and who I am as a person. I don't want to float through life like I have done for my 20 years. Additionally, I want to get money to finish school on my own and show my parents and myself that I am taking life seriously.

I wanted to ask the vets and those currently serving a few questions and get some advice to help me with my decision. Here goes.

1) I read that if I score high enough on the ASVAB that I get to choose my MOS. Is that true? What is your MOS? I was considering Infantry or something in Field Artillery.
2) What is your day-to-day life like?
3) Do you enjoy what you do or do you regret it ever?
4) What is the best part of what you do?
5) I read that for the USMC it is 4 years but a 2-year option is available...do you know anything about that?
6) How bad is boot?
7) How about the education benefits? I go to the University of Colorado. In-state tuition is about 10,000 a year.
8) Have the changes the military has made on your life been positive or negative, or both? What are some of those changes?
9) Just any advice, experiences, etc. would be great help. This is a pretty confusing time of my life, I have never been 'on my own' financially before.

I have been a marijuana user for around 4 years. Not daily, but enough. I have experimented with other drugs but have since stopped, only alcohol and marijuana now. Will this disqualify me from serving? I also read somewhere that LSD use within a 2-year period is automatic disqualification, and sadly that would be me too. I want to serve but obviously I don't want to lie. First off, it's dishonorable, and second, if any of that surfaces later I will be way worse off anyway.

Finally, I have clinical depression and an anxiety disorder. I have been on a light dose of antidepressants for about 4 years. Do these conditions disqualify me?

Thank you for your time, and for answering my questions. Take care.

jrhd97
04-26-08, 05:23 AM
Ryan, Thank you for your candor. In all honesty it is going to be very, very difficult especialy with legal meds and the conditions that go with them. It may even be impossible. Best if you talk with a recruiter in your area directly.

A piece of advice, take it or leave it. Get of the recreational meds ASAP! There is a known link to mental disorders and the brain slowing down due to brain cells being killed off. Every time you use that sh*t you are hurting yourself more.

If you can't quit totaly on your own, go home and explain to your folks your problem. They may get ****ed and have a little melt down, well OK maybe a big one. You may be suprised that they will help you. It may be tough love, but love all the same.

As for the Corps. I don't regret it. I had many good experiences, and some not so good. All in all I would do it again.

Good Luck.

yellowwing
04-26-08, 11:35 AM
Tossing in the dope with your prescribed meds maybe part of the problem. You got to learn to challenge yourself. Getting off the weed should be a priority. No room for dope smokers in Our Beloved Corps.

To be honest, the army seems to be more liberal with granting waivers.

gobuffs10
04-26-08, 12:14 PM
See, that's the thing though...it's the Army.

I want to be part of the best, and I will do what I have to.

First things first, no more weed, no more meds. Thanks for the replies

jrhd97
04-26-08, 02:42 PM
Be very carefull in stoping the prescription meds cold turkey. With a wife that has a mental condition I know all to well what can happen with out the meds if they are needed. Talk with your doctor about what you want to do. Your health and well being are more important. If you go off your meds and make it to P.I the stress and culture shock you encounter may cause you a relapse of both.
It may take you a couple years to make your goal. Make the best of the situation at hand. Not to be harsh on you, but we all must lie in the bed we make. If you don't qualify ,keep in mind the other branches. They do offer a lot, regardles of how much we may put them down.

gobuffs10
04-26-08, 05:22 PM
Hey everyone thanks for the replies.

Yes, I don't know why I asked about two years. I want to do this. 4 is fine with me.

I want to be a Marine, the best of the best. I have since I was young. I am off the weed, have been for a few weeks.

I don't take anything for anxiety, just a little bit to up my serotonin for the depression. I want to do this. I am going to talk to my recruiter.

Guys, I am almost certain that this is what I want to do. The big obstacle, from the sounds of it, will be getting the waiver for my meds. Luckily, the doseage is really low, I have no history of it causing any disruptions in my life (I haven't missed school, work, etc. because of it), never been hospitalized, and no suicide attempts.

I know it will take a bit to get off, can't just do it cold (I tried last year...failed). So I meet with my doc this week and I am going to discuss weaning myself off with him.

Wish me luck! I will let you all know how my meeting with the recruiter goes.