PDA

View Full Version : Enlistment without knowing where I will live?

RPTrainor
04-22-08, 09:47 AM
I am currently a freshman at a community college and plan on enlisting in MARFORRES. My problem is that I am planning on transferring to a top 20 national university as a junior in fall 2009. Can I sign and get a ship date next fall that would allow me to ship out to MCRD San Diego next summer with the 92 day program as an open contract in the reserves. My problem comes from transferring next year. I will start the application process next winter and will not get acceptance letters until May of 2009. I want to go 03XX or 4421, although more than anything I want to earn the title of Marine. I will serve whatever unit is close to where I get accepted in whatever job I can. Does anyone have a similar experiences or know of anyone who has? I thank you for you time and for your service.

rvillac2
04-22-08, 10:01 AM
There are no open contracts for the Reserve. You enlist into an available MOS/billet at the reserve unit you will serve at. You don't need to DEP in too early, anyway. Once you get an idea of/narrow down where you'll be going, then you should contact your recruiter to see what will be available. If you get the 92 day contract, you will leave early in the summer.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-22-08, 10:30 AM
Talk to your recruiter about your options. Honestly, there are some jobs that turn up in lots of places. (They don't happen to be the one's on your list though.) For example, just about every unit needs admin type people. That is how the reserve unit I spent time with managed to have female Marines (It was an infantry unit). There are other jobs as well- radio operators are in many units. Motor T mechanics are all over the place.

If you really want to be 03 of 4421 then you may have to consider narrowing your choice of schools. Life is about compromises, you have to pick the choice that is best for you. So it comes down to whether your ideal is to have the job in the Marine Corps that you covet or to go to the best school possible.

rvillac2
04-22-08, 01:05 PM
If you decide to go to school in Southern California, you be able to hold almost any Reserve MOS. Many different units are within 2 hrs drive including an MCB, an MCAS, and the MCAGGC.

(look up those acronyms).

RPTrainor
04-22-08, 01:32 PM
Again, I want to thank you all for your input.

I think I probably will enlist Admin and then after May 1st, see if I can change my MOS if an Infantry Unit or Legal Services billet is within range. I will also concentrate my transfer applications to the California and the east coast.

rjhusmc04
04-29-08, 09:09 PM
In the reserves you can enlist into an MOS but never even attend that school if you are a 92 dayer bc you will not attend MOS school until the following summer, so if you find an infantry unit near where you plan to attend school you can transfer to that unit and be trained in that MOS. They can not turn you away bc you are an obligor (hopefully spelled that right) according to my Admin Chief; I actually have been in the SMCR for almost four years and I just transferred to a new unit and will be attending SOI this summer bc I am choosing to. Not to mention check the MARFORRES website they have a listing of all the units across the country that could help you make your final decision; and even if you do MOS training for admin if you switch units and you are considered an MOS mismatch they will more than likely send you to school for there MOS. I know I have said alot but just going through this myself I hope this info helps you out!

:flag:

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-29-08, 09:20 PM
A Cpl going through SOI... now that is awesome.

rjhusmc04
04-29-08, 09:48 PM
tell me about it we will see how it goes i will report back

RPTrainor
04-30-08, 12:39 AM
Thank you Cpl, when are scheduled to complete SOI? I would like to hear more about how your experience went. I will speak with a local recruiter this fall and start sending out my own transfer application’s this coming winter. I also will post about my journey as I seek to earn the greatest title.
:thumbup: