PDA

View Full Version : Dungarees

TylerMikael
04-13-08, 05:15 PM
One time I saw some Marine Recruiters, they were all waring their camoflage dungarees. This was confusing because I thought Marines were not supposed to ware thier dungarees, unless in battle. Were these recruiters supposed to be wearing them? Please help. Thanks.

SlingerDun
04-13-08, 06:04 PM
Navy wears dungarees Tyler, you must have been trippinhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

jackson07
04-13-08, 07:33 PM
Follow on answer. If you are talking about their cammies, then yes they were authorized.

TylerMikael
04-13-08, 08:01 PM
Navy wears dungarees Tyler, you must have been trippinhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

My bad, Sir. I tripped up there. I guess the proper word would have been utilities.
:)

Sgt Leprechaun
04-14-08, 10:48 AM
But the answer is "Yes".

On a historical note, Marines did, in fact, wear 'Dungarees' in WWII. So the term is correct, just 60 years too late.

rvillac2
04-14-08, 10:53 AM
But the answer is "Yes".

...60 years too late.

That's where this kid's head is at Sgt Lep. He's the one that keeps posting about wishing to be on Sea Duty.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-14-08, 11:00 AM
Oh, crikey.

Well, that answers that then LOL.

TylerMikael
04-14-08, 07:28 PM
I still have a burning desire to be a Marine, Sir, nothing will ever change that.
Sea-duty or no sea-duty. I want to fight as a Marine.

TylerMikael
04-14-08, 07:31 PM
That's where this kid's head is at Sgt Lep. He's the one that keeps posting about wishing to be on Sea Duty.

I still have a BURNING desire to be a Marine, Sir, I've had it ever since I was three years old, nothing will change that. Sea-duty or no sea-duty.
I still want to fight as a U.S. Marine!!
:D

TylerMikael
04-14-08, 07:34 PM
Sorry. Diddn't mean to put the same replies up there twice. I tried changing it.

ecfree
04-14-08, 08:37 PM
So ya want to be a sea goin bellhop.
The only fighting yuo're going to do,is with the squids on board your ship,or maybe some Marines at a liberty port.0311 is for you son,grunts,the backbone of the Corp.:evilgrin:

TylerMikael
04-14-08, 09:45 PM
Maybe you're right, Sir. If I want to fight I should just become a 0311
and forget all this stuff about sea-duty. I woulden't mind being on a ship though, Sir.

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-14-08, 09:52 PM
0311s can spend time on ships. Sea Duty went away sometime in the 90s, but Marines have spent a lot of time "haze gray and underway" since then. MEUs are a part of life for Marines. With the conflict in Iraq I'd imagine the rotation isn't as frequent, but they are still out there.

TylerMikael
04-14-08, 09:59 PM
So if I'm with a MEU I'll get to fight and be on a ship, Sir. Wow!
Does a MEU Marine have any duties on the ship, or is he just like in stand-by mode ready to be deployed to battle?

SlingerDun
04-14-08, 10:26 PM
A Marine on float has duties of cleaning and standing watch over spaces and equipment that don't seem like they need to be watched and appears ridiculous but it keeps potential saboteurs honest. Check into the Merchant Marines, they are not Marines but Mariners and the job pays pretty damn well. I talked with a few merchants in foreign ports and they had great perks, comparatively. My neighbor is a merchant Seaman who retired pretty comfortably and has seen the world many times over.

Sgt Leprechaun
04-15-08, 05:57 AM
"Haze gray and underway" ain't no joke.

"Sea going bellhop? The only belle I've hopped is your sister, squid!"

LOL!!!!

I did a Med float with the MEU back in 99, lots of gator squares for the late hate in Kosovo, embassy evac in Albania. (Tirana in Winter....NOT a primo liberty spot I assure you LOL) Plus libo stops for Christmas in the Costa Del Sol (Malaga Spain), Lisbon Portugual. Haifa, Isreal until just before Christmas. Souda Bay, Crete, Rota Spain, Marmaris, Turkey, Sierra del Fuego Spain, Skiros Island, Greece, Volos Bay, Greece, Thessaloniki, Greece....
Hmmm...where else.....Skopje, Macedonia, and likely another place or two I've forgotten about that were just quick libo stops.

And that was just one six month float. Others here have done more.

If you go to the MEU, you'll get to see, for real, "The Tip of the Spear, the Edge of the Empire".

I highly recommend it!

TylerMikael
04-15-08, 02:56 PM
"Haze gray and underway" ain't no joke.

"Sea going bellhop? The only belle I've hopped is your sister, squid!"

LOL!!!!

I did a Med float with the MEU back in 99, lots of gator squares for the late hate in Kosovo, embassy evac in Albania. (Tirana in Winter....NOT a primo liberty spot I assure you LOL) Plus libo stops for Christmas in the Costa Del Sol (Malaga Spain), Lisbon Portugual. Haifa, Isreal until just before Christmas. Souda Bay, Crete, Rota Spain, Marmaris, Turkey, Sierra del Fuego Spain, Skiros Island, Greece, Volos Bay, Greece, Thessaloniki, Greece....
Hmmm...where else.....Skopje, Macedonia, and likely another place or two I've forgotten about that were just quick libo stops.

And that was just one six month float. Others here have done more.

If you go to the MEU, you'll get to see, for real, "The Tip of the Spear, the Edge of the Empire".

I highly recommend it!
Sounds like it would be fun.
Seeing the world and being on a ship are two things I would like to do.

TylerMikael
04-15-08, 03:02 PM
I know that SlingerDun told me a little about being MEU Marine, but could you please explain your duties as a MEU Marine in more detail.
Also(this is probably a stupid question) but will I get a Navy Sea Sevice ribbon if I'am with a MEU? Thanks.