PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding medical...

phantasm
04-09-08, 12:44 PM
Ok. First off, this being my first post, I guess I should tell you all something about me.

I'm 27, married with a family and have a college degree. I served 3yrs. active duty with the US Navy and 2yrs in the Army national Guard as an Infantryman. I'm no stranger to the military.

Anyway, I'm wanting to join the Marine Corp. Reserves. Have been for the past ten yrs. lol. The wife and I spoke about it and all is calm on the eastern front, but I'm worried about a medical issue.

Two yrs ago I had knee surgey, nothing major, just a lateral release. I can run, albeit not well but I'm working on it. My major medical concern is a cyst we recently discovered in my brain. As of now (a year into monitoring it) it hasn't grown in any way nor has it changed shaped. My Neurologist believes I've had it my whole life and it poses no threat to me. Now me being the honest guy I am, I'd want to disclose during my physical but I'm concerned it would get me DQ'd.

Does anyone have any input? I know the age old answer... "one way to find out." Well I don't like wasting my time nor the recruiters time if I can help it.

rvillac2
04-09-08, 12:47 PM
You need to fill out your profile and read the rules of the site asap:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

phantasm
04-09-08, 12:54 PM
Done and Done.

I know you have no Doctors on staff, I'm asking for general information from anyone who may or may not have gone through a similar situation.

rvillac2
04-09-08, 01:53 PM
Just so you don't think we're ignoring your post. You are right in thinking that there is little chance that you would get a definitive answer on this board. If you're sincerely interested in joining, it won't be a waste of the recruiter's time and get you down to MEPS.

You should also inquire about joining as a Reserve Officer since you have your degree. The Corps is short on those.

phantasm
04-09-08, 02:17 PM
Thank you for your reply. I've considered the Reserve Officer option, however my understanding is that a new officer serves 2yrs active duty upon commission. I don't mind active duty and wouldn't have a problem with it if it weren't for the fact that my wife is starting her PhD this fall.

With that said, she understands that if I get deployed then I won't be around to help her. But if I'm not deployed I'd like to be around for my family.