PDA

View Full Version : My Recruiter's Promise...

VEWenneker
04-08-08, 06:06 PM
My recruiter, bless his honest soul, answered my question of "What will the Marine Corps promise me?". His answer: "NOTHING, except the opportunity to join, once and forever, a very unique fraternity of men and a hard time plus a trip to Vietnam". This was October, 1965, and I had never even heard of a place called Vietnam. As it was...I spent 27 month's there as a Tank Radio Operator and gunner. As for the "Hard Time", I think he must have been referring to MCRD (San Diego). And so it started on October 28th, 1965 (my arrival date in MCRD and also the date of my 17th Birthday). So, the journey began...and it has not ended. My tombstone will be inscribed with "I have reached out my hand and touched the face of God". I would have and should have stayed in the Corp;s for the then allowed full 43 year's...then gone home and shot myself. God, how I miss all those who have gone before me...and, too, for those who will follow me. We are a breed apart. We are indeed unique. It goes drom those conversation's with Medal of Honor winner's, like Sgt (later Colonel Mitchell Paige who was up along side John Basilone that most awful of night's on Guadalcanal and on down to those who knew Private First Class was beyond their calling. We are very much indeed a "Band of Brother's...and I can not hardly forget the Woman Marines amongst us. So, to all, now and forever, "Semper Fi!".

Thank you. I remain, Very sincerely yours,

Verle E. "Butch" Wenneker
www. VEWenneker@AOL.com

PS...So, why didn't I stay in for 43 yeaar's. During the 1968 Tet Offensive, my tank got mined and I was carrying my intestines around in my lap for many hour's until a North Vietnamese Army physician found me, put back together all my pieces...and let me go, after hiding me from the NVA Regular's.

sparkie
04-08-08, 07:08 PM
VEW,,,,, Fill out your Friggin Profile,,,,, And welcome home, and aboard,,,, My Brother. Pull up a chair, and grab a beer.

UsmcMotorT
07-14-08, 07:13 AM
My recruiter, bless his honest soul, answered my question of "What will the Marine Corps promise me?". His answer: "NOTHING, except the opportunity to join, once and forever, a very unique fraternity of men and a hard time plus a trip to Vietnam". This was October, 1965, and I had never even heard of a place called Vietnam. As it was...I spent 27 month's there as a Tank Radio Operator and gunner. As for the "Hard Time", I think he must have been referring to MCRD (San Diego). And so it started on October 28th, 1965 (my arrival date in MCRD and also the date of my 17th Birthday). So, the journey began...and it has not ended. My tombstone will be inscribed with "I have reached out my hand and touched the face of God". I would have and should have stayed in the Corp;s for the then allowed full 43 year's...then gone home and shot myself. God, how I miss all those who have gone before me...and, too, for those who will follow me. We are a breed apart. We are indeed unique. It goes drom those conversation's with Medal of Honor winner's, like Sgt (later Colonel Mitchell Paige who was up along side John Basilone that most awful of night's on Guadalcanal and on down to those who knew Private First Class was beyond their calling. We are very much indeed a "Band of Brother's...and I can not hardly forget the Woman Marines amongst us. So, to all, now and forever, "Semper Fi!".

Thank you. I remain, Very sincerely yours,

Verle E. "Butch" Wenneker
www. VEWenneker@AOL.com

PS...So, why didn't I stay in for 43 yeaar's. During the 1968 Tet Offensive, my tank got mined and I was carrying my intestines around in my lap for many hour's until a North Vietnamese Army physician found me, put back together all my pieces...and let me go, after hiding me from the NVA Regular's.

You've been through alot, thank you for your service. Semper Fi

dpawson
08-14-08, 10:06 PM
Stories like this still send shivers down my spine.