PDA

View Full Version : I want to be an officer...

Hologram
04-07-08, 08:00 PM
...eventually.

Really, I would love to be an officer as soon as possible, but I was a jerk off my first couple of years of high school and it destroyed my chances at getting into a good college and/or getting scholarships. So I decided to go to a community college and get my associates degree, hopefully not being as much of an idiot and actually doing well so I can get transferred to a decent 4-year university afterward.

I also decided to enlist in January because I don't want any other job/lifestyle other than being a Marine, and the less jobs that I have to interview for that I don't even really want, the better.

So my first question is: how plausible would it be to take correspondence courses/go to a local college and get an associates degree while I'm infantry?

The next question (and next step) would be: Can I still get commissioned through NROTC if I'm only at the college for two years (until I get a bachelor's degree), and if not what are my options for getting into PLC? Also, for PLC, how big of a factor is penmanship for acceptance and completion, because my handwriting is quite literally indeciperable to anyone but myself and my good friends who are used to reading it regularly.

Sorry if I sounded long-winded, but I wanted to get all the information in there to get the best advice.

Wyoming
04-07-08, 08:47 PM
Did you get a chance to read this post?

Dipshiz, you started it.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=332415#post332415

Hologram
04-07-08, 10:55 PM
Respectfully, sir, I was trying to get a scope of all my options, and my last thread died in its infancy.

Hologram
04-07-08, 11:45 PM
To elaborate on that last post, I'm really trying to look for some officers' opinions and/or current enlisted Marines going through a commissioning program.

rvillac2
04-07-08, 11:54 PM
The answers won't change, dipshiz. It has been discussed in other threads. Your thread died because they don't want to repeat themselves.

I am beginning to think that your grades have nothing to do with procrastination.

Hologram
04-08-08, 12:25 AM
Actually sir, that's the only thing they have to do with.

But you're right. I should've thought through this thread more carefully. I just recently saw a thread with a lot of officers reply to it, and I thought maybe I could get their attention to if I stated my entire case plainly.

If a mod wants to go ahead and shut down the thread, please do.