PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on security forces I haven't been able to find an answer to.

NeedSomePT
04-05-08, 04:07 PM
Yes I have searched, I've been reading these boards for a long time now;)

I am looking into the possibility of picking Security Forces as my MOS. Yes, I know Security Forces is 03xx starting with a two year tour as Security Forces. Which is what brings me to my question.

Now I know how much everyone on this forum hates all the recon questions. But I'm wondering if there is a possibility for one to attempt the recon indoc at SOI even though afterwards they go in as SF, or possibly attempt it upon completion of the SF tour. I have read that any infantry Marine has the opportunity to attempt the Recon indoc while in SOI, but since going in as SF is a little bit different I didn't know if that would still apply.

Thanks

bgsuwoody
04-05-08, 04:14 PM
Well there was no recon indoc run in SOI when I was there. However if you are lucky you may be selected to do the MARSOC program, but with no combat tours your stint there would be short. It is all dependant. I know this really doesn't answer your question. However, I believe that you would be automatically dq'd because of your student status for SF school that you wouldn't be able to take it before. Just talk to your command about it once you hit SOI and the fleet. You'll probably get a better up to date answer.

JC59
04-05-08, 05:16 PM
You won't be able to take the recon indoc at soi since your are contract security forces. After your done with security forces you will become and 0311 and from there you can attempt to become 0321 but its unlikely you will be able to unless you re-enlist

NeedSomePT
04-05-08, 07:38 PM
You won't be able to take the recon indoc at soi since your are contract security forces. After your done with security forces you will become and 0311 and from there you can attempt to become 0321 but its unlikely you will be able to unless you re-enlist
What would the reason for that be? Is it because to be a Recon you need to have a certain amount of time left on your contract?

rvillac2
04-06-08, 02:52 AM
Yes, to get 0321, you have to go to another school. It would be a waste of time and money to send you to another school and you'd get out shortly after graduating.

NeedSomePT
04-06-08, 09:17 AM
I think I remember my recruiter told me once (not about this SF/recon thing) something along the lines that since some jobs require a certain amount of years on your contract, if you do an MOS change and you only have for example 2 instead of 3 or 3 instead of 4 years that are required you can just extend the contract for a year or twoinstead of signing another 4 year contract.

Is this true? Could this work?

NeedSomePT
04-06-08, 10:40 AM
I have another question that kind of relates.

Is it possible in one's Marine Corps career to serve more than one B billet? I asked my recruiter and he never gave me a straight answer, he was like "You won't do that, you'll want to go back to the fleet so you wont take another 2 years away." Searching on this site I couldn't find anything related to my question.

It is my understanding that SF is considered a B billet.

That would be another thing to consider before picking SF as my enlistment. I'm not sure I want my future options to be cut short.

rvillac2
04-06-08, 01:33 PM
There's only so much you can do in a 4 year actived duty contract. If you stay in for longer, you can have held multiple B billets. You can do MSG, Recruiting, and other B's. However, don't count on doing it in a single contract.

The Active Duty contract actual holds you for 8 total years with 4 on active duty and 4 on IRReserve. With permission, you can stay on active duty for more than the 4 years without signing another contract.

However, in years 5-8, there is nothing holding you to active duty and you can walk off duty and enter the IRR at any time. If that is the case, nobody is going to invest time/money in you if you could just leave soon afterwards.

I'm not experienced in this, but for the type of extension you're talking about, there may be a contract extension that makes you promise to stay on active duty, but doesn't lengthen your original 8yr contract. If this happens, it is likely to happen early in your contract and not in year 3 or 4.

You and other poolees are going to find out. 4 years is actually NOT a very long time in a career. It's just a blink.

NeedSomePT
04-06-08, 02:09 PM
Thank you, Sir!

The Active Duty contract actual holds you for 8 total years with 4 on active duty and 4 on IRReserve. With permission, you can stay on active duty for more than the 4 years without signing another contract.

However, in years 5-8, there is nothing holding you to active duty and you can walk off duty and enter the IRR at any time. If that is the case, nobody is going to invest time/money in you if you could just leave soon afterwards.

Could you please elaborate a bit on that? That is the first I hear of being able to "walk off" whenever you want. I don't mean to make it sound like I'm doubting you, just that I'm requesting more information.

rvillac2
04-06-08, 05:05 PM
Policies change all the time and things may be different with the war on. I leave myself open to be corrected by another Marine who knows more. <br />
<br />
The end of your Active obligation is 4 years from...

NeedSomePT
04-06-08, 05:25 PM
Yes sir, thanks. It makes sense now. :thumbup: