PDA

View Full Version : Question about the different battalions

xxstephen07
04-04-08, 05:29 AM
I have heard different answers from different people, so I wanted to ask on here. What is the difference, if any, between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd battalion? My recruiter told me that after graduating boot camp, I will be in Kilo Co. 3rd Battalion and was joking about how the 3rd is the hardest. Is this true? and if so why?

BR34
04-04-08, 10:45 AM
There is no difference. It's just bragging, sorta like your highschool vs another local highschool.

However, I believe you misunderstood your recruiter. You will be in one of these Battalions WHILE IN BOOT CAMP, not after.

rvillac2
04-04-08, 11:18 AM
and a search would have shown:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53591&highlight=Training+Battalions

Jonny Destroyer
04-04-08, 11:25 AM
I have heard different answers from different people, so I wanted to ask on here. What is the difference, if any, between the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd battalion? My recruiter told me that after graduating boot camp, I will be in Kilo Co. 3rd Battalion and was joking about how the 3rd is the hardest. Is this true? and if so why?

Exactly what BR34 said...its just a bragging thing. Just like rooting for your favorite team, basically. If you're a part of that team, you'll root for them, right? hahaha

Like, 1st and 2nd BN will probably nickname you guys "Turd" Battallion...just as we fondly called 2nd BN "Big Bird Battallion" because they all wore yellow shirts...lol

I was in 3rd Battalion, Kilo Company on Parris Island. Platoon 3086. Dont let me down, motivator! You're representing my company!!

-CPL Maines:usmc:

DWG
04-04-08, 11:34 AM
Just as long as you aren't in 4th Bn. They are really tough!

Jonny Destroyer
04-04-08, 11:35 AM
Just as long as you aren't in 4th Bn. They are really tough!

Yeah, it'll be ESPECIALLY hard at least once a month! LMAO!!:D

DWG
04-04-08, 11:38 AM
If ever anyone needed proof that the Marine Corps builds men, just check out the 4th Bn. :D

(I'll be hiding under my desk for the next little bit).:scared:

Jonny Destroyer
04-04-08, 11:39 AM
If ever anyone needed proof that the Marine Corps builds men, just check out the 4th Bn. :D

(I'll be hiding under my desk for the next little bit).:scared:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!
:D

kbs95125
04-04-08, 11:43 AM
Whichever one gets the least amount of ****birds thrown in it during the training cycle.

Or 3rd. West and East.

3rd BN India Company Plt. 3214

Let us know if they actually did away with the company nicknames! Our SDI told us that they were no longer going to be allowed to use company nicknames.

xxstephen07
04-04-08, 11:57 AM
Ok then...I guess that sums it up. What I heard was that they call 1st battalion the "smart" marines because the DI's concentrate more on learning, 2nd battalion was called the "drilling" marines because they concentrated on drilling, and 3rd battalion the "disciplined" marines because they they concentrated a lot more on PT and yelling. So that is just what I heard and wasn't sure if it was true or not. So thanks a lot

DWG
04-04-08, 12:30 PM
When (and if) you cross the grinder the final time on the Island (or Hollywood), you won't be a 1st, 2nd or 3rd Bn. Marine; you will be a Marine, period!

SGT7477
04-04-08, 01:36 PM
I would say the 4th is the toughest.:evilgrin:

BR34
04-04-08, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't mind being in 4th for a couple weeks.

...wait, I'm married, nevermind.

SGT7477
04-05-08, 07:32 AM
You devil you,lol.

bgsuwoody
04-05-08, 08:25 AM
Ok then...I guess that sums it up. What I heard was that they call 1st battalion the "smart" marines because the DI's concentrate more on learning, 2nd battalion was called the "drilling" marines because they concentrated on drilling, and 3rd battalion the "disciplined" marines because they they concentrated a lot more on PT and yelling. So that is just what I heard and wasn't sure if it was true or not. So thanks a lot

Well this isn't right at all, because I was 1st Bn. and all we seemed to do was drill drill drill, Not much knowledge going on at all just drill drill drill.

THAT AINT IT
04-06-08, 10:51 AM
come on now guys...you know that 4th battalion is the best lol

PatriotGirl422
04-06-08, 07:24 PM
come on now guys...you know that 4th battalion is the best lol

I will second that opinion! If you think about it, we really do have to come out of there with the thickest skin. We definitely get made fun of a lot more than any other batallion. What do guys do when they feel inadequate about themselves around other guys....they pick on women!

DWG
04-06-08, 07:28 PM
I will second that opinion! If you think about it, we really do have to come out of there with the thickest skin. We definitely get made fun of a lot more than any other batallion. What do guys do when they feel inadequate about themselves around other guys....they pick on women!

Oh, boo hoo! :cry: It's called flirting, you silly thing!:D (or at least that's how I remember it, oh those many years ago!)

BR34
04-06-08, 07:32 PM
Seriously though, PG, 4th Battalion's barracks look like the Hilton Double Tree or something. And how is it that the female recruits ALWAYS smelled like shampoo and other fruity flavors...I mean, smells? More training, less bathing!!!

I'm joking of course. I have the utmost respect for female Marines after seeing them do everything we did at MCT, and some doing better than some of the male Marines.

...But still, we could smell 4th Batt's hair 4 miles downwind! And boy did I enjoy it!

PatriotGirl422
04-06-08, 07:39 PM
Seriously though, PG, 4th Battalion's barracks look like the Hilton Double Tree or something. And how is it that the female recruits ALWAYS smelled like shampoo and other fruity flavors...I mean, smells? More training, less bathing!!!

We smelled like shampoo because we have HAIR!
Crazy boy;)

SGT7477
04-06-08, 07:50 PM
We never had a chance to smell,lmfao.

zackmerc
04-06-08, 09:25 PM
MCRDSD 3rd Battalion Mike Company

They slay and kill fatbodies (on the quarterdeck). No matter what type of recruit you are, your killhat will slay you.

Yeah 3rd Battalion likes to brag a lot. Mike Company especially.

SgtHopperUSMC
04-07-08, 02:27 AM
When I was there (P.I.) I was in third. We had the oldest barracks and lived close to the swamp. I would'nt change a thing. 3rd BN all the way.:evilgrin:

DWG
04-07-08, 04:22 AM
When I was there (P.I.) I was in third. We had the oldest barracks and lived close to the swamp. I would'nt change a thing. 3rd BN all the way.:evilgrin:

LOL! When I was there 3rd Bn. had the newest barracks (Disneyland). We were housed in WW2 firetraps.

THAT AINT IT
04-07-08, 09:41 AM
We smelled like shampoo because we have HAIR!
Crazy boy;)

psh we washed our hair maybe 4 times the whole time we were there and i guarantee we smelled exactly like the males we graduated with lol

PatriotGirl422
04-07-08, 02:06 PM
psh we washed our hair maybe 4 times the whole time we were there and i guarantee we smelled exactly like the males we graduated with lol

I washed my hair every sunday and usually one other time during the week (around wednesday or so). We had to do that during free time, and since we usually only had about 20 minutes there were other more important things to do. Especially since I had long hair, and I didn't know how to put it up good. So it was too hard to get someone to do that for me. I was pretty nasty there. I still think the guys smelled worse lol. But my boyfriend says that he thinks the females smelled worse. I guess you just get used to your own smell and you don't notice it as much. I could DEFINITELY smell 2nd Batallion from a mile away!

ttracker65
04-07-08, 03:24 PM
Ok OK enough fun All of the Battalions run off T cards every one get's the same amount of fun. Just has to do with D.I. personalities. And how did you all rate to get down wind of WM's since I did not see one in Boot?

RYDERKUR
04-07-08, 03:38 PM
I still think the guys smelled worse lol. But my boyfriend says that he thinks the females smelled worse. I guess you just get used to your own smell and you don't notice it as much. I could DEFINITELY smell 2nd Batallion from a mile away!

That's just because us 2nd Battalion were either training or drilling, or better yet, giving ourselves showers of sweat in the rainroom, haha. I agree though, we did smell awful. :marine:

maverickmarine
04-07-08, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I think it all comes down to the Drill Instructors because I was in 1st Batt. and it seemed like all we did was drill and PT. They said we could be strong or we could be smart and at the end they said we fell into the strong category. LOL.

BR34
04-07-08, 06:50 PM
Ok OK enough fun All of the Battalions run off T cards every one get's the same amount of fun. Just has to do with D.I. personalities. And how did you all rate to get down wind of WM's since I did not see one in Boot?

They were always somewhere around. You can hear them from a mile away because they're so high pitched. We did plenty training events with them, swim qual, rifle range, some classes to name a few (we could never out scream them in the classes!!!). 4th is pretty close to 2nd. We also did our PFT with 4th's pullup bar and used their fields for crunches.

SlingerDun
04-07-08, 07:11 PM
It's true hair retains scent. Bee's prefer foof, flies like funk, wanna get stung or bit? Surprisingly humans who work indoors tend towards keener specific olfactory than wild people but pathetic and weak compared to critters. Cover your head when you track or hunt.

AAV Crewchief
04-11-08, 02:40 AM

They didn't call it "Thumpin" Third" for nothing when I went to boot camp (Mar 82-June 82). I was in 2nd BN though right across from the parade deck. The cruelest form of DI torture was to be forced to watch graduation ceremonies through the windows and then getting told that we'd never make it off the ISLAND except in a body bag.

05-07-08, 10:22 AM
I dunno..i was in first and all we did was drill also. i heard 3rd battalion just slays recruits all the time and plays "F "F" games. I dont know bout 2nd battalion:evilgrin: