PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted after college.

TheDominican
04-01-08, 11:16 PM
Hello everyone. I just wanted to ask about the Enlisted to Officer programs. I've read and researched a lot in the forums and outside of this site and I know of ECP and MECEP. I noticed, though, that these programs offer commission in the Marine Corps Reserve. Are there any programs or any kind of ways to be commissioned as an active duty officer from the enlisted ranks, or is reserve the only option? Is commissioning straight out of college the only way to be an active duty officer? I apologize in advance if this is a repeated question.

rvillac2
04-02-08, 02:26 AM
You may have read into it incorrectly. There is a program that promotes enlisted Reservists in to officer Reservists, but that is primarily for filling up the Reserve Officer billets. All other commissioned officers must serve active duty time after MOS school before moving into Reserve status.

So, unless you're in that particular Reserve Officer program, your career as an officer, no matter the commissioning path (OCS, PLC, etc) will start on active duty.

TheDominican
04-02-08, 04:43 PM
Thank you, sir. I still don't completely understand, though. I got this from *************:

The Enlisted Commissioning Program allows qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program to apply for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process are contained in MCO 1040.43A.

Maybe I'm reading it too hard or overlooking something, but it says that this program offers appointment in the Marine Corps Reserve. So are you saying that one will serve a certain amount of active duty time then ultimately be a reservist? I'm just trying to clear everything up and get a complete understanding of all this. Thank you.

TheDominican
04-02-08, 04:45 PM
I guess I'm not supposed to put the names of other websites. *Correction* I got that from another military website.

rvillac2
04-02-08, 05:26 PM
Thank you, sir. I still don't completely understand, though. I got this from *************:

The Enlisted Commissioning Program allows qualified enlisted Marines in the Regular Marine Corps and the Marine Corps Active Reserve (AR) Program to apply for assignment to Officer Candidates School (OCS) and subsequent appointment to unrestricted commissioned officer grade in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve. The policy, eligibility criteria, and application process are contained in MCO 1040.43A.

Maybe I'm reading it too hard or overlooking something, but it says that this program offers appointment in the Marine Corps Reserve. So are you saying that one will serve a certain amount of active duty time then ultimately be a reservist? I'm just trying to clear everything up and get a complete understanding of all this. Thank you.

Ok, so the program that I'm talking about (and you described above) is called ECP. This program is meant specifically to beef up the Reserve with junior officers. They will go to Reserve duty right after MOS school.

However, this is not as big a program as the other commissioning paths. Naval Academy, NROTC, PLC, OCS, and MECEP produce officers that will first serve Active Duty.

Does this clear things up?

TheDominican
04-02-08, 07:21 PM
Yes sir. Thank you.

Just one more question though.

So if someone who earned their degree before enlisting wanted to go the Enlisted-Officer route, and they wanted to be an active duty officer, are there any other programs that offer commissioning besides ECP? Or would it be better to do some college then complete your degree via MECEP?

rvillac2
04-02-08, 07:37 PM
First of all, if you've already earned your degree, you should pick either Enlisted or Officer from the start. If you research the forums, you'll see that it's purely a romantic and whimsical idea to join the enlisted ranks before becoming an officer.

If you'll already have your degree, you should go officer unless there is an enlisted job that you really want to do. Most college grads that enlist do it because they want to kick down doors and/or get their hands dirty in an occupation they desire.

If your ultimate goal is to become an officer go immediately for that goal.

Otherwise, you can enlist, become an outstanding Marine, and evenutally apply directly for OCS. Programs like MECEP are designed to help a non-grad Marine get the degree in order to qualify him for OCS. If you have a degree, you already qualify. You just have to prove yourself worthy of being released from your enlisted contract and pursue OCS. I'm not sure if there are any "programs" for this, but it is possible.
Also, after you finish your initial contract (4yrs), you can apply on your own for OCS.

Does that answer your question?

Camper51
04-02-08, 07:40 PM
Yes sir. Thank you.

Just one more question though.

So if someone who earned their degree before enlisting wanted to go the Enlisted-Officer route, and they wanted to be an active duty officer, are there any other programs that offer commissioning besides ECP? Or would it be better to do some college then complete your degree via MECEP?

Why not just go the officer route? If you have the degree USE it and join as an officer. There is no real reason to go the enlisted-officer route except for your own vanity to say that you WERE enlisted at one time. There are no special advantages and your fellow officers probably won't give a toot if you were prior enlisted as long as you do your job and do it well.

Some enlisted men say they prefer mustangers but I really think they would have liked that officer anyway because he led his men the way they liked and they showed concern for their men. I had both types of officers at one time or another. The ones that showed true concern for their men were the officers I liked best. It did not matter if they were mustangers or not. I think this holds true for anyone...

TheDominican
04-02-08, 08:01 PM
To rvillac2, yes that pretty much clears everything up. Thank you sir. And to Camper, thank you for your input as well, sir.