PDA

View Full Version : Waivers

SierraSixOne
03-31-08, 07:05 PM
Hey I have an AFQT of 45, which is only 5 from 50. Most jobs that I would like to do are at 50. Havent talked to my recruiter about it yet, but do people get waivers easily, when there only about 5 points away?

Zulu 36
03-31-08, 07:33 PM
Anything is possible.

But there is a reason they pick cutoffs and that reason is the likelihood of successfully training you for satisfactory performance. Experience and study has probably indicated that 50 is the cutoff point, not just by some arbitrary decision by an armchair warrior.

An example: At the police academy where I taught, we learned over time that police recruits scoring less than a 10th grade reading level on the Nelson-Denny reading comprehension assessment (given on the first day), were going to have a really tough time. There is a ton of reading involved, most of it as homework. If you can't absorb the material, you won't pass the exams or practical exercises and thus flunk the academy.

We weren't there to be reading teachers. Harsh? No, we were probably saving lives.

Same thing with the Marine Corps and test levels for MOSs. Experience can be an extremely harsh teacher, and sub-par performance kills people in the military generally, and in combat specifically.