PDA

View Full Version : Looking to become a USMC sniper.

Rambo Kid
03-31-08, 05:54 PM
I am only 12 years old, but I have my mind made up that I want to be a Marine. I would like to become a USMC sniper as well. What do I have to do to become one? All I know is that I have to be infantry, so 03XX, high first class PFT, shoot expert in boot camp, and have at least a second class swim qual. Am I missing anything? Also, tips and help from former/active USMC snipers are appreciated. I am currently in the process of making my own ghillie suit(minus the Viper hood, those are soo expensive!) from the complete ghillie kit off tacticalconcealment.com, as I have heard many Marines buy supplies from there.

Semper Fi,
Rambo Kid

rvillac2
03-31-08, 05:59 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

You need to learn the rules of the site, young pup. I won't jump on you too hard since I have rifles that are older than you.

There is no advice we can give you now that will be specific to snipers. Do your best in school and work out. You need to be an excellent Marine first, then worry about trying out for the elite.

Lastly, Rambo was in the army and Semper Fi is reserved for just us Marines.

Rambo Kid
03-31-08, 06:01 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

You need to learn the rules of the site, young pup. I won't jump on you too hard since I have rifles that are older than you.

There is no advice we can give you now that will be specific to snipers. Do your best in school and work out. You need to be an excellent Marine first, then worry about trying out for the elite.

Lastly, Rambo was in the army and Semper Fi is reserved for just us Marines.
Where can I request a name change?

rvillac2
03-31-08, 06:07 PM
LOL..don't worry about changing your name. I was just teasing about Rambo. Keep it because the Kid part is accurate. ; )

Rambo Kid
03-31-08, 06:08 PM
LOL..don't worry about changing your name. I was just teasing about Rambo. Keep it because the Kid part is accurate. ; )
Alright. How was I breaking the rules with my post?

jaythestar
03-31-08, 07:27 PM
Rambo, I am sure if you would have done a proper search that somewhere on this forum that someone else posted something similar. Anyway, here's what I can tell you, if you want to be a Marine that is fine but do as much as you can from now up until that point to be as successful as you can be. Then when the time is right, enlist, go to bootcamp, earn the title and see what BEING a Marine is all about before really worrying about being a sniper.

SGT7477
03-31-08, 07:54 PM
Rambo, I am sure if you would have done a proper search that somewhere on this forum that someone else posted something similar. Anyway, here's what I can tell you, if you want to be a Marine that is fine but do as much as you can from now up until that point to be as successful as you can be. Then when the time is right, enlist, go to bootcamp, earn the title and see what BEING a Marine is all about before really worrying about being a sniper.
You got that right alot can change for this young man.:flag:

ssgtt32
03-31-08, 08:33 PM
Damn, here we go again!

Maurice

davblay
03-31-08, 10:49 PM
HERE WE GO AGAIN
SAME OLD CRAP AGAIN
MARCHING DOWN THE AVENUE
6 MORE YEARS AND I'LL JOIN UP
I'LL BE GLAD AND SO WILL YOU!

Beings as how Rambo is only 12, I thought it fitting! ;) LMAO

Dave

egbutler1
04-01-08, 12:52 AM
Your only 12 kid, its good that your doing research but a lot can change in the years to come. I thought I was going to stay in the Corps forever but that all changed after going to Iraq. So keep motivated and worry about becomming a Marine first. I can't tell you how to be a sniper as I was not one just plain ol' 0311. Just keep focused on school (do well) join up, go to boot and earn the title Marine than work on becomming a Sniper, it won't be easy but none said becomming a Marine is and becomming Elite will be even harder. KILL!

Covey_Rider
04-01-08, 02:53 AM
I find it amazing that this kid is only 12 years old and appears to have a better understanding of how to type sentences then a large portion of the poolees here...hmmm I think the rest of the poolees here should think about following this example.

nsfdmedic
04-01-08, 05:06 AM
Rambo you certainly remind me of me at that tender age, all I ever wanted to be was a Marine, a real recruiters dream, no sales pitch just sign me up. however I did very little research. I was lucky I got a good MOS. I went in open contract, just to get in sooner. be sure to look ever thing over, and trust me it is nothing like the movies. I too thought the 0300 field was the way to go. until I got educated. I know its hard but well worth it in the end. research, research, research. ..

Rambo Kid
04-01-08, 06:37 AM
Sorry everyone if I've been giving you the "same old crap", as you can tell I'm new around here... For now I guess Im going to do the best I can in school and Atheletics, then worry about becoming a Marine. @ Covey, I find proper grammer necessary :P

outlaw3179
04-01-08, 08:10 AM
You should grow pubes first. Then you can be a grunt. Dont lose your motivation. Kill humans.

kbs95125
04-01-08, 05:03 PM
This is a motivating thread right here. And it didn't make my head want to explode. I like you kid.

Camper51
04-01-08, 05:41 PM
Sorry everyone if I've been giving you the "same old crap", as you can tell I'm new around here... For now I guess Im going to do the best I can in school and Atheletics, then worry about becoming a Marine. @ Covey, I find proper grammer necessary :P

Covey Rider is a damn fine example of a Marine. He is one of a very few Marines to have graduated boot camp as a L/Cpl. He definitely has the moto and the mojo around here.

As to you young Rambo, I would congratulate you on your grammar. Regardless of what anyone else around here may say, it is very important.

I would not worry too much about what you can do to prepare for joining the Marines. You have a good 6 years of your childhood/youth to enjoy first. Pay attention to school, participate in extracurricular activities and do your absolute best in EVERYTHING you do. Join the scouts, lots of leadership training there, not to mention lots of fun going camping and stuff.

If you do those things then everything else you want will fall in place on it's own and you will have already prepared yourself...

Rambo Kid
04-01-08, 08:06 PM
This is a motivating thread right here. And it didn't make my head want to explode. I like you kid.
What did I do right? Or was that sarcasm?

kbs95125
04-02-08, 02:57 PM
You did right.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
04-02-08, 03:28 PM
You should grow pubes first. Then you can be a grunt. Dont lose your motivation. Kill humans.

That is the funniest thing i've heard today. However, in today's society, i have to tell you Sgt, telling him "kill humans" might result in more than what you thought. I don't think that provides the motivation you were hoping for. :)

Kill the Wounded, Eat the Dead.

Semper Fi
:flag:

DOC WEB
04-02-08, 03:58 PM
If you drop the dream of becoming a freakin motivated killing machine, being a corpsman is even better...you can kill people and save people in the same firefight. Plus the number of different jobs you can hold as a corpsman are freakin crazy.

just throwing that out there for you.

Doc.

lmao. ill probably get some s h i t for trying to recruit this kid the other way. Oh well.

Twitchell
04-02-08, 04:25 PM
Right on Rambo Kid. I knew I wanted to be a Marine since I was 10. I fullfilled that dream when I was 17. However, I would'nt suggest rushing it that soon though. It may be hard, but live it up while you can. Like the other Marines were saying. Do good in school, and worry about becomeing a Marine first. Also make sure you don't get in legal trouble, or get injured bad if you can help it. I'm speeking from experience. DON'T do things like, shoot guns without ear plugs. Stuff like that, "hearing loss", can make it very difficult to get in, if at all.
Until then, keep up the good work MOTIVATOR!

Marine84
04-02-08, 08:29 PM
You guys must be retarded or something - me thinks that ain't no 12 year old.

Rambo Kid
04-02-08, 08:31 PM
You guys must be retarded or something - me thinks that ain't no 12 year old.
How old do you think I am?

Marine84
04-02-08, 08:34 PM
Don't rightly know but, you ain't 12 ;)

Rambo Kid
04-02-08, 08:37 PM
Don't rightly know but, you ain't 12 ;)
Im 12 years old. I don't know how I'd come off as older than 12..

Marine84
04-02-08, 08:50 PM
Just a funny feeling............

rvillac2
04-02-08, 10:41 PM
Just a funny feeling............

She gets that between her toes...the big toes.

Kid, put a picture in your profile. ; )

Jonny Destroyer
04-02-08, 10:56 PM
I am only 12 years old, but I have my mind made up that I want to be a Marine. I would like to become a USMC sniper as well. What do I have to do to become one? All I know is that I have to be infantry, so 03XX, high first class PFT, shoot expert in boot camp, and have at least a second class swim qual. Am I missing anything? Also, tips and help from former/active USMC snipers are appreciated. I am currently in the process of making my own ghillie suit(minus the Viper hood, those are soo expensive!) from the complete ghillie kit off tacticalconcealment.com, as I have heard many Marines buy supplies from there.

Semper Fi,
Rambo Kid

My best advice to you, kid, would be to worry about finishing high school first. I know thats not what you want to hear, but let me finish:

I see you've already read into what you would need to do to qualify to become a Scout/Sniper. If you're dead-set on being in the Marines while you're going through high school, and still really want to become a sniper, my suggestion is to learn as much about it as you can in your off-time. First off, do well in school, because Scout/Sniper school is extremely academically challenging. You have to learn tons of things such as regular infantrymen 0311 tactics, stalking, radio operations, ballistics, etc. Its very mentally demanding, and your mental skills need to be as sharp as the shots from your rifle. So get used to studying while you're in school, because you'll be doing a lot of that as a Marine.

Also, I'd advise taking up a sport while you're in high school, even better, take up track. SS's frequenly do long runs, sometimes with rucks, so dont be suprised if you're required to run 5 miles with a 50 pound pack to pass the indoc.

Read up on whatever you can...you have MANY years ahead of you before you're even eligible to enlist into the Marines, so you have plenty of time to learn things. And the more you know, the more you're ahead of everyone else.

Also, if your school offers it, get into the ROTC program. Not saying that will guarantee you a spot in the Scout/Snipers, but it can help you out in general because you can sign into the Marines as a PFC.

I hope you're quest to join the Corps and become a sniper is a successful one!

Stay motivated,
-CPL Maines:usmc:

Jonny Destroyer
04-02-08, 10:57 PM
If you drop the dream of becoming a freakin motivated killing machine, being a corpsman is even better...you can kill people and save people in the same firefight. Plus the number of different jobs you can hold as a corpsman are freakin crazy.

just throwing that out there for you.

Doc.

lmao. ill probably get some s h i t for trying to recruit this kid the other way. Oh well.

LOL C'mon, Doc...you gonna try to curse that kid with a "Cracker Jack" uniform? HAHAHAHHA

Just kidding...I have nothing but love for my fellow Corpsmen

Thanks for being there to patch us up, Doc

Twitchell
04-02-08, 11:20 PM
Another suggestion as well. ONE SHOT AWAY, I can't recall the authors name, as well as many books about Marine Corps Snipers are out there. Such as Carlos Hathcock. One of, if not the most famous Marine Corps Sniper. They may be of interest to you throughout high school as well.

WARNING! They maybe explicit though, not to mention long, and High School level. Hense, get your parents permission first.

Lastly, weather your twelve or not. Your asking for info that isn't confidential last time I checked. But it would clear thing's up for some people if you posted a pic or something.

Later Rambo

Rambo Kid
04-03-08, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, great help.

Also, for all you non-believers, I uploaded a profile picture. Dang, I really need a haircut...

Marine84
04-03-08, 10:23 PM
LOL! You favor my puppy.................

Rambo Kid
04-04-08, 06:41 AM
LOL! You favor my puppy.................
Come again..?

Marine84
04-04-08, 07:30 AM
LOL! YOU LOOK LIKE MY PUPPY! He's a Shih Tzu and needs a haircut too.

SGT7477
04-04-08, 08:02 AM
Come again..?
Get rid of that mop head and get a high and tight, I could use your head to mop my floor.:evilgrin:

Rambo Kid
04-12-08, 08:33 PM
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I've been reading up on how to become a sniper once you'r 0311, and I need a second class swim qual, and a first class PFT. How do I get a second class swim qual and a first class PFT? What do I have to do?

SlingerDun
04-12-08, 08:44 PM
work

Echo_Four_Bravo
04-12-08, 08:59 PM
A first class PFT is cake. Look to get at least a 285 and then you're in business.

Second class qual in swimming isn't difficult if you're comfortable in the water. You should be able to do a google search and get the exact requirements, but it isn't that difficult.