PDA

View Full Version : Dozens of Local Marines Welcomed Home

thedrifter
03-31-08, 09:03 AM
Dozens of Local Marines Welcomed Home

Posted: March 31, 2008 12:31 AM

Updated: March 31, 2008 01:09 AM

By: Ashley Ritchie

The yellow ribbon; for thousands of families across the country, it represents "the wait", waiting for their loved one to come home from war.

But for the Bernabe family, that wait is nearly over.

"We're anxious. This is the second tour and his family's here," Debbi Bernabe, whose son has been in Iraq, said.

The squadron was supposed to arrive on Easter Sunday. But seven days, two hours and many sleepless nights later, their miracle pulled up on a charter bus.

Moms, dads, sons and daughters all came out for a homecoming that was never a guarantee.

"I was just like 'thank you God that my son's home safe.' I'm just so happy," Debbi said.

"It's overwhelming. It's nice to be home. It was long, too long away from my family. It's nice to be back," Sergeant Lucio Bernabe said.

On his second tour of duty, Lucio Bernabe says he knew more of what to expect, but some things never get easier.

"You never really get used to the fact of being away from the family," he said.

"You live in fear everyday," Amy Bernabe, Lucio's wife, said.

Seven months and thousands of miles ago, their journey began. But their destination was right back where they started.

"Lots of hugs, lots of kisses. It's nice to be back," Lucio said.

For now, Bernabe's first orders of duty are to unpack and take a shower.

For his family, they can finally breathe easy and find another meaning for their yellow ribbon.

Two more groups of marines stationed in Fresno are expected back home within about three weeks.

Ellie

thedrifter
03-31-08, 09:21 AM
Smiles, tears at Sky Harbor as Valley troops come home

azfamily.com

PHOENIX – It went from smiles to tears at Sky Harbor Airport with the return of several Valley Marines.

Dozens of Marines with the Phoenix Bulk Fuel Company returned home on Saturday. They have been serving in Iraq since last June. Armando Quiroz is one of the Marines who made it home. Although he is a man of few words, his family had plenty to say.

Quiroz’s father said, “I’m flip-floppin’ inside out. It’s like Christmas and New Years all put together.

His sister added, “He says he’s been through a lot and a lot of things have changed and he’s overwhelmed.

The family is now looking forward to spending time together.

Ellie