PDA

View Full Version : Heights

JimmehT
03-30-08, 12:46 PM
How do you Marines suppose I kick my fear of heights? I have had a fear of heights forever now, and from what I understand, some obstacles and whatnot in Boot are not so low to the ground.

thewookie
03-30-08, 01:42 PM
How do you Marines suppose I kick my fear of heights? I have had a fear of heights forever now, and from what I understand, some obstacles and whatnot in Boot are not so low to the ground.

Can you pee in a straight line?

Wyoming
03-30-08, 01:46 PM

You are in deep doo-doo!:sick:

JimmehT
03-30-08, 02:04 PM
Haha, well I realize I have to face it sometime or another, I was just wondering if there was a way to prepare for it before I ship to PI.

I realize it is kind of lame to be afraid of heights but it's been a fear of mine for awhile, I guess I'll just have to figure something out, climb some rock wall or something haha, I dunno.

Zulu 36
03-30-08, 02:38 PM
Haha, well I realize I have to face it sometime or another, I was just wondering if there was a way to prepare for it before I ship to PI.

I realize it is kind of lame to be afraid of heights but it's been a fear of mine for awhile, I guess I'll just have to figure something out, climb some rock wall or something haha, I dunno.

Remember: It ain't the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end.

But seriously, fear helps you be safe, but panic kills. A rock wall or something done under trained supervision might help. If you pay attention, follow instructions, and master your fears, rappelling, rope climbing, rock climbing, fast roping, etc, can all be done pretty darned safely. I am not comfortable with heights either, but I did everything required by pushing myself and breaking personal barriers. I even learned to sky dive.

That said, I still enjoy rappelling and rock wall climbing with Venturer Scouts on occasion. Can't let my teenager show up her old man now, can I? ;)

JimmehT
03-30-08, 02:56 PM
Haha, no sir, you gotta show them that you still have it in you.

Well I think that's what the problem would be though is panic, but I am sure I will get over it. Somehow, since I have all of summer left, I think I will try and do something that involves heights, a "stare fear down" type of deal.

Thank you for your advice =]

Marine84
03-30-08, 03:15 PM
Unless you're just a complete WUSS, you'll do fine. I'm a country girl - my feet were always on the ground.

I was scared to DEATH when I saw how tall that ropelling tower was. We get to the top where the pine trees look like carpet and were told the first time we're supposed to go off face first and use the rope to guide yourself to the ground. I panicked that first time and let go of the rope at my back and reached back up to grab it again - WRONG MOVE. The DI at the bottom pulled the rope tight so I wouldn't come sliding down the rope burning off the original seven layers of skin. She chewed on my rear end for a minute and made me do it again - 2nd time was little better, 3rd time was fall off backwards and bounce down the wall.

Trust me, they'll make you get past that fear. Either that or you go home in the same clothes you wore down there.

Phantom Blooper
03-30-08, 03:20 PM
"You have nothing to fear ,but fear itself!" There is a bunch of things that wouldn't get done if man was afraid to do it. Mind you fear is a good thing to have so one does not ere on the edge of stupidity and carelessness. Heights in my opine is kin to the fear of H2O.

I agree with Sgt Zulu take something at the "Y" or these new wave rock climbing a the mall or wherever to help overcome your fears. Myself personally I don't want to skydive as I am content to stay on the ground now or water.

The obstacle course,"Slide For Life" and rappelling towers are meant to help you overcome your fears and panic along with you endurance in boot camp.

Go to "Universal Studios" in Orlando this summer and go on "Fear Factor" they have some pretty wild things that will help you overcome your fears. Again to ere on the side of caution...bring an extra set of skivies! Good luck!:evilgrin:

JimmehT
03-30-08, 03:20 PM
Believe me, go home in the same clothes I wore down there is not an option for me. There are three options actually, graduate, graduate, and graduate.

I want this really bad, not going to lie.

Thank you for your help ma'am =].

JimmehT
03-30-08, 03:25 PM
"You have nothing to fear ,but fear itself!" There is a bunch of things that wouldn't get done if man was afraid to do it. Mind you fear is a good thing to have so one does not ere on the edge of stupidity and carelessness. Heights in my opine is kin to the fear of H2O.

I agree with Sgt Zulu take something at the "Y" or these new wave rock climbing a the mall or wherever to help overcome your fears. Myself personally I don't want to skydive as I am content to stay on the ground now or water.

The obstacle course,"Slide For Life" and rappelling towers are meant to help you overcome your fears and panic along with you endurance in boot camp.

Go to "Universal Studios" in Orlando this summer and go on "Fear Factor" they have some pretty wild things that will help you overcome your fears. Again to ere on the side of caution...bring an extra set of skivies! Good luck!:evilgrin:
Yeah that is actually a good idea, I will seriously look into that. Plus the whole heights thing being kin to fear of h20 makes sense because I can't swim either, but I am starting to get trained by my schools top swimmer this week which should help a lot. Thank you for your advice sir =].

rvillac2
03-30-08, 05:59 PM
This is a great question. Unlike the mental midget on the other thread, you suffer from a very common phobia. However, like her fear, it is psychological and you can train yourself to overcome it.

The Confidence course does exactly that. It gives you the chance to build confidence in yourself and your abilities. Remember that boot camp is 90% mental. We're training you to become fearless, bulletproof, and invincible.

Get some.

PatriotGirl422
03-30-08, 07:48 PM
I actually didn't realize I was afraid of heights until boot camp. But going to boot camp is the best way to face your fears...because you're forced to face them. I realized I was afraid when we were doing the O course and you have to walk down the log. What is it like 8 or 10 feet in the air? It's not very high, but if you slip there's a good chance you can hit your head on something, so I was scared. But, my Senior got right up there and said "Recruit, do you want me to do the obstacle with you?" I was surpised, because I always thought she really hated me. I just said "Yes, ma'am". She walked down with me and I felt great that I had conquered my little fear.

SGT7477
03-30-08, 08:24 PM
Start climbing trees.:evilgrin:

Zulu 36
03-30-08, 08:28 PM
Well, I have watched many teenaged girls and boys rappel, climb rock walls, and do a COPE course. My daughter has done it and she was terrified the first couple of times but got through it. Now she hardly thinks twice about going down the wall.

She told her Scout friends that the only thing that forced her to rappel the first time was knowing her Daddy was going to come up and throw her over the edge, so she might as well do it under her own power (that, and Dad went first to show her the old guy could still do it). ;)

My ten-year old son is going to get chucked off a tower this summer. He doesn't know it yet, but he's generally game for almost anything (once).

Twitchell
04-03-08, 09:21 PM
I was always petrified of hights. I still don't like them. But ever since I repelled in DEP, I never looked back. Now anything I'm afraid of, is what I like to do. I was always scared ****less of fire. Now I'm a firefighter. If your the same as I am, beating your fears is the best thing's you'll ever due. That's what you look back on with pride later on in life.

WELL, get to it....

thewookie
04-03-08, 09:24 PM
Start climbing trees.:evilgrin:

Kids don't do that anymore, they might get hurt. Or drop their I-Pod.

Jonny Destroyer
04-03-08, 09:51 PM
I think everyone else on this thread summed it up very well.

I dont think you honestly need to take rock-climbing classes and all that, though. I mean, if you want to, by all means go for it, but dont feel obligated to do that before you go in.

I was scared of heights before boot camp, but somehow it didnt bother me at all when I went there. The slide for life, the rappel tower, the confidence course...all that fear was gone. It might be the same for you.

Honestly, Im still scared of heights. I absolutely HATE to fly. And everytime I ride a rollercoaster I get the jitters...but when you're in boot camp, and you know you HAVE to do it, you're gonna get it done. You know why? Because you want that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor put in your hand, and you want that title of "Marine" more than you want to be afraid of some obstacle.

Thats all they are: Obstacles. And you will overcome them.

Moral of the story: Dont be a pussy :evilgrin:

-CPL Maines:usmc:

JimmehT
04-04-08, 05:24 AM
Thank everyone that posted on this, it actually has helped me a lot.

I ended up climbing a tree, whether you were joking or not haha, in my backyard and to be honest, I really didn't feel that scared when I was up there and looked down.

My dad had to do some work on our house on the roof as well the other day and I helped him with that, I feel about 100% better.

That's one less thing that will get in the way.

Again thank you Marines =]

Quinbo
04-04-08, 05:36 AM
As HRST master the first thing I said was gentleman your bird is gonna lose 2,000 pounds in 15 seconds keep the rope on the deck.

Quinbo
04-04-08, 05:44 AM
first man down the rope was told to control the rope but don't hang on to it if it floats away. That is unless you think you can yank a 20,000 lb helo out of the sky.

SGT7477
04-04-08, 07:59 AM
Thank everyone that posted on this, it actually has helped me a lot.

I ended up climbing a tree, whether you were joking or not haha, in my backyard and to be honest, I really didn't feel that scared when I was up there and looked down.

My dad had to do some work on our house on the roof as well the other day and I helped him with that, I feel about 100% better.

That's one less thing that will get in the way.

Again thank you Marines =]
Sometimes the dumbest things work in life.:evilgrin: