PDA

View Full Version : From Spencer to Iraq: With honor and pride

thedrifter
03-29-08, 05:37 AM
From Spencer to Iraq: With honor and pride
Friday, March 28, 2008
By Kris Todd, Daily Reporter Staff

Spencer native Tyson Zellaha is among a surge of 3,500 U.S. Marines heading to Iraq.

The 19-year-old son of Shane and Diana Zellaha was the first of a number of 2005-06 Spencer High School (SHS) seniors who signed the dotted line to enroll in the military.

After visiting with the local Marine Corps recruiter and enlisting on Dec. 28, 2005 -- a sort of Christmas gift to himself -- Zellaha worked hard to recruit others in his class.

The young man officially earned the title of "U.S. Marine" on Nov. 22, 2006 upon his graduation from Marine Corps recruit training in San Diego. Zellaha did so with fellow SHS alumnus Jacob Elliott, the son of Tammy Elliott, Spencer, and Mark Elliott, Mason City.

Zellaha and Elliott, who entered the military under the GI Bill, signed on for four years of active duty during their senior years and have remained connected through the military's "buddy system." Both admitted they joined this branch of the military because it's known as "the best" and it produces the elite.

"That's their slogan: The few. The proud. The Marines," Zellaha said.

Just days before entering boot camp in the summer of 2006, Zellaha commented, "I want to get the opportunity to serve my country, so I picked combat support, field artillery."

In regard to the ever-increasing chances that he stood at serving during a time of war, Zellaha, a raw military recruit at the time, stated, "If I'm going to go over and serve my country - which would be a great honor - this is one of the best things I can do. I mean, that's what the military is about. And that's the reason why I chose it also, is because they have the best training in the Marines. And, if I do go somewhere, I want to know what I'm doing and I want to be ready for whatever is going to happen."

Just over 18 months have passed and Zellaha is now primed for his rapidly approaching seven-month tour of duty in Iraq.

The 19-year-old underwent artillery training from January until April 2007 at Fort Sill in Lawton, Okla. The following month, he joined the Marine fleet with the 3/11 Mike Battery 1st Platoon in Twentynine Palms, Calif., home to the world's largest Marine Corps base which serves as the premier training facility in the world for Marine operations and draws military personnel from all over the world for combined arms exercises.

Lance Cpl. Zellaha also trained last month with Iraqi soldiers, some who served as body guards for former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, at Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Zellaha will leave Saturday for the East Coast. He will then be transported overseas to Kuwait in order to serve his country in Iraq during a seven-month tour of duty.

Ellie