PDA

View Full Version : Loan Payback

sfidelis
03-28-08, 11:58 AM
Alright, I have been told a couple different answers to this. So, does the Marine Corps pay back the student loans of commisioned officers? My friend is heading to OCS in June and insists that they are paying off all of her loans. I have looked online and heard the contrary; that they will only give tuition assistance (after PLC). Unfortunately I am going to OCS and not PLC so I am not eligible for that. My recruiter has been on vacation all week, so I'm turning to you guys for help!

And I also heard that they pay off loans, but that they are no longer going to do that starting in September of this year. If anyone knows that answer for sure, I'd love the peace of mind.

Dan

rvillac2
03-28-08, 01:03 PM
Your OSO, not an enlisted recruiter, will have the most up-to-date information for you. Policies change frequently and, unfortunately, the only policy that applies to you are those in effect when you sign on the dotted line.

Were her loans federal? The loans themselves may have a forgiveness clause for entry into the military. In that case, the Marine Corps in particular, has nothing to do with paying her loan.

drumjake17
04-22-08, 12:47 PM
Yes they do repay the loans of Commissioned officers. You must be on active duty however. Look on USMC.mil and get into the ALMARs and MARADMINS and look around a little. I don't know the exact order number but you should be able to find it. It's a fairly new order so I doubt it's getting canceled in September. Hope I helped, and just to re-emphasize what was stated earlier, you should be talking to an Officer Selection Officer. If you're talking to a Recruiter and he's telling you that you're gonna become an officer I'd be really suspicious. Tell him you want to talk to an OSO before you sign anything. Good luck.

drumjake17
04-22-08, 12:56 PM
Alright, I looked it up and found the link for you. If the link doesn't work look under News; MARADMINS; then in the MARADMINS page type "student loan" into the search engine and when the results come back it's the very first one: "Active Component College Loan Repayment Program". Hope that will answer any of your questions.

http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/MESSAGES31.aspx