PDA

View Full Version : Living on base?

Theguy101
03-25-08, 01:41 PM
When you live on base is it like a college dorm? Do you get your OWN small room or do you have a roomate? IF you choose to live off base in a apparment or what ever does the military give you money for food since you arnt on base to get to the mess hall? If you live near the base are you allowed to go to the mess hall? If you have kids, a wife, and such are they allowed to eat from the mess hall? Or is it same pay for everyone(same rank, job) and to bad you have a family?

Thanks for your time
-Theguy

rvillac2
03-25-08, 01:55 PM
Read rule #10:
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59447

Theguy101
03-25-08, 02:37 PM
Sorry sir, searched.

Thank you

Echo_Four_Bravo
03-25-08, 06:11 PM
I don't remember ever covering part of this, so I'll answer anyway.

If you decide to live off base, and you are single, the Marine Corps isn't going to give you extra money to do so. In fact, you'll probably be required to maintain a barracks room anyway. That being the case, you'll have a meal card and will be able to eat in the chow hall.

If you are married, you will get extra money for food. That means you have to pay to eat in the chow hall- which isn't something I would understand anyone doing- EVER. And since I'm answering the question- you do get more money for housing and food if you're married- it isn't all that much more though.

Marine84
03-25-08, 07:58 PM
I remember the barracks being like a dorm - some places you go there are 3 or 4 of you to a room. The only time I had a room to myself was I wakuni but, I'm a female - we had an advantage cause there ain't that many of us. You really learn tolerance living with some of the fruitloops you'll end up living with during an enlistment.

zackmerc
03-25-08, 10:48 PM
It's like a dorm but it's also not. You may get one or two roommates from you unit. You have to keep the room clean and squared away and it does get inspected. Otherwise, you do have a certain, rather high level of privacy most of the time.

thewookie
03-26-08, 06:20 AM
When you're a boot you're going to live in the barracks on a meal card. For the most part it's either two or three man rooms. But occasionally you could find yourself in a squad bay. If you're married you can live off or on base depending on what the base housing situation is like, and also what your command says. Later on, if you stay in things can get better. My first 3 years in the fleet I was in the barracks. But my last 5 years I lived off base, at each command I was with, with housing and food paid for by the Corps.

My second tour as a Corporal in Security Forces I had a 3rd floor apartment in Greece, that the Corps paid for with marble floors overlooking a nude beach on the Mediterranean. I would wake up and have some coffee on my balcony in the buff, cause I could.:)

And the best thing was the Corps was paying for it!

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 07:32 AM
When you're a boot you're going to live in the barracks on a meal card. For the most part it's either two or three man rooms. But occasionally you could find yourself in a squad bay. If you're married you can live off or on base depending on what the base housing situation is like, and also what your command says. Later on, if you stay in things can get better. My first 3 years in the fleet I was in the barracks. But my last 5 years I lived off base, at each command I was with, with housing and food paid for by the Corps.

My second tour as a Corporal in Security Forces I had a 3rd floor apartment in Greece, that the Corps paid for with marble floors overlooking a nude beach on the Mediterranean. I would wake up and have some coffee on my balcony in the buff, cause I could.:)

And the best thing was the Corps was paying for it!

I envy you wookie. Envy.

thewookie
03-26-08, 03:56 PM
I envy you wookie. Envy.

Thanks, but since part of what I was talking about was being in the buff, I'm not so sure!:)

I was definitely the exception and not the rule, but I worked for it.

There are many opportunities for exceptions on your second tour, if you go to the right spot(s) with the right job, and definitely if you are squared away and can handle some responsibility!

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 04:04 PM
I'm hoping to end up at the Drill Field Sgt, so i'm pretty sure any buff moments to be had there, will be have to be removed from my head via shrink.
:beer:

Camper51
03-26-08, 04:06 PM
Well, my first duty station was in Kansas City, Mo. It was "independent duty" which meant we received allowances for food/housing as though we were married yet we had to go find an apartment out in town. Since I was only 17 at the time I had it kind of rough because no one would rent to anyone under 18 and most places wanted you to be 21. Was good duty, though because at 17 I was living on my own, shared an apartment with a civilian who had absolutely no trouble finding girls to bring home and always came home with two great lookers....

Who said boot duty was tough???

thewookie
03-26-08, 04:17 PM
Well, my first duty station was in Kansas City, Mo. It was "independent duty" which meant we received allowances for food/housing as though we were married yet we had to go find an apartment out in town. Since I was only 17 at the time I had it kind of rough because no one would rent to anyone under 18 and most places wanted you to be 21. Was good duty, though because at 17 I was living on my own, shared an apartment with a civilian who had absolutely no trouble finding girls to bring home and always came home with two great lookers....

Who said boot duty was tough???

Good stuff, you're right it all depends on where you go.

About roommates,,, when I was in Chesapeake VA I lived with a guy who owned this nice place, and basically he let me rent a room for $500, all inclusive. I met him at this club a bunch of us from CQB were working as bouncers on Friday and Saturday nights at this club called Chevy's, the place is still the local hot spot! Any way, the money I was getting at the time from BAH and all that jazz was much more then that, not exactly sure how much but I know I was making out and living good. He worked as a plumber, made good cash, and had a thing for parties and girls. Some of those parties we had I felt like Dirk Diggler,,,