PDA

View Full Version : Legion-led motorcyclists greet Marine home on leave

thedrifter
03-24-08, 07:29 AM
Legion-led motorcyclists greet Marine home on leave
3/24/2008

By DAVID CLOUSTON

Salina Journal

The American flag, the salute and the handshakes U.S. Marine Tilden Crable received at his homecoming to Salina on Saturday left him nearly speechless.

"I wanted something special for him that he wouldn't forget," his sister, Salinan Amanda Crable, said. "It turned out fabulous. I couldn't have asked for anything more."

Amanda organized a reception Saturday by motorcycle riders of the American Legion Salina Post 62 to welcome her brother home on leave from a seven-month tour of duty in Iraq. Tilden, a 2004 graduate of Southeast of Saline High School, is with the Marine Wing Support Squadron stationed at Camp Pendleton in California.

He returned this month after serving with his fellow Marines on a security detail at Al Asad Air Base.

About 17 motorcycle enthusiasts rode up Saturday with flags flying from the their machines to present Tilden with a signed flag and a commemorative coin, as well as a salute of thanks for his service to his country.

"It was a nice little crowd for a holiday weekend," said Rick Saunders, Smolan, a ride coordinator with the American Legion Riders and a Patriot Guard member.

The motorcycle riders of the Legion post and Legion posts from neighboring cities do "welcome home" receptions for returning service men and women often, he said. The riders represent the Legion, Legion Auxiliary and Sons of the Legion.

"It's kind of one of them things. We love to tell these guys we appreciate the service to their country," Saunders said. "I think that's it, in a nutshell."

Tilden is on leave until April 1, when he is to report back to Camp Pendleton.

"He'll be coming back in July for my wedding, July 19," Amanda said.

The brother and sister and two siblings grew up in Lindsborg; their parents, Tony Crable and Jona Roberts, now live in Salina.

n Reporter David Clouston can be reached at 822-1403 or by e-mail at dclouston@salina.com.

Ellie