PDA

View Full Version : Marine tells his story of war

thedrifter
03-23-08, 05:39 PM
Marine tells his story of war
IN THEIR OWN WORDS | Konstant: 'Serving my country was the best thing I ever did'

March 23, 2008

BY JAMES JOSEPH "J.J." KONSTANT

I thought my life was all planned out. Armed with a finance degree from St. Ambrose University, I was ready to make some real money. I would work for the same investment company where I had worked as a clerk the previous couple of summers while at the Mercantile Exchange. In a few years, I'd be married, start a family and be ahead of the game.

But something in the back of my head told me it just wasn't right. I had a greater good to do. So I went in the Marine Corps.

My grandfather served in the Army under Gen. [George] Patton during World War II. My dad was in the Army during Vietnam but remained stateside. In my heart, I knew I had to serve my country. If I didn't, it would haunt me for the rest of my life.

Part of it was my background. My mom and dad encouraged my sisters and me to make a difference whenever possible.

But part of it was my competitive nature. I love sports, and I love to compete. I learned a lot about competition playing basketball at Brother Rice High School. I also learned how to evaluate my strengths and weaknesses.

That is something that served me well as a platoon commander in the Marine Corps. I entered the Marine Corps as a second lieutenant and spent the next year attending officer training courses. Two days into training, I began having serious doubts about whether I made the right choice -- drill instructors in your face, breaking you down, make you wonder what the heck you're doing.

It's not until later that you realize why they do what they do. I survived the training and signed up to be part of the infantry. I wanted to be on the front line. I didn't want to talk about doing things. I wanted to actually do them.

My unit was deployed to Afghanistan in June 2005. Temperatures were in the 130s.

Two months later, we're on the Pakistan border with Afghanistan and in the middle of a five-day battle. We're being attacked on three sides. I got a handful of shrapnel from a rocket-propelled grenade but was able to keep fighting. More importantly, none of my Marines was injured.

On the fourth day, I overheard some of my guys wondering aloud if we'd survive the fight: "Do you think the L.T. can get us out of this?"

That doubt only strengthened my resolve.

After our seven-month tour ended, we went back to our base in Hawaii. A few months later, our unit was deployed to Iraq, where I was wounded twice within the first month. I ruptured an eardrum and got some shrapnel in my leg. I survived by the grace of God. Both injuries could have killed me. I received two Purple Hearts and one Bronze Star.

My time in the Marine Corps made me realize how serious war is. There were a lot of bad people we laid to rest. Unfortunately, there were probably 20 Marines I knew who were killed during my two deployments. That's where the guilt comes in. I've got some issues that I'm getting help with at the Veterans Affairs hospital.

I'm still supportive of President Bush and his policies. I know we're helping people, and that gives me peace inside.

I spent some time this year as the assistant varsity boys basketball coach at Brother Rice. I can't tell you how great it was to teach young men how to do something other than kill.

I'm looking forward to starting my civilian life. Public speaking is one of the things I'll be doing. But I'm also interviewing at some financial institutions.

Whatever happens, one thing is for sure. I'm so proud I served my country as a Marine. That is the best thing I ever did.

Ellie