PDA

View Full Version : Enlisted to officer

Hologram
03-18-08, 11:08 PM
I'm just wondering how plausible it will be for me to make officer.

Basically I was a stupid jerkoff in procrastination and what not the first couple of years of high school and completely ruined my GPA, despite taking honors/AP courses along with scoring incredibly high on my ASVAB (highest scores my recruiter has seen, swears that I'm going to set someone's head on fire just by looking at them).

Anyway, I have a bunch of math credits at a local community college and by years end I will have 4 AP classes under my belt, probably passing all three of the ones I still have to do.

From the start I've wanted to be an officer, but because of my GPA, I could never afford college without the Corps helping, and while doing a catering job for a National Guard AT I was told to enlist first in order to get a whole lot more respect from the Marines under my command.

So the question is: when should I and how can I start the ball rolling on getting a commission?

rvillac2
03-19-08, 01:02 AM
Enlisted to officer has been discussed a lot here. Nobody will agree that just because you were enlisted, you'll be a better officer or will be more respected.

If you truly want to become an officer, go to a community college first and transfer into a university. Along the way, you can apply for financial aid or even an NROTC scholarship. If you start excelling at math at the college level, you'll be competitive. My advice to all aspiring officers is to make college graduation your most immediate and highest priority. It is only then when you can step into an officer's career.

Hologram
03-19-08, 01:08 AM
Well I've already enlisted and I don't want to back out now, so I would really rather have help with starting enlisted and later becoming an officer specifically.