PDA

View Full Version : Seventh-Day Adventist Marines

ExplicitReality
03-17-08, 12:39 PM
I'm wondering how many Seventh-Day Adventist Marines we have here because i would like to ask you some questions.
1. How did you feel when not able to worship on the Sabbath?
2. Is it ever a possibility to have Church on Saturday while in Recruit Training?(I know that in Recruit Training worship is on Sunday)
3. While in SOI, MCT or your MOS schooling can you go to Church on Saturday?

I'm very aware of the day of worship while in the Marines, but its just when you believe in something so much and have grown up since being little going to Church on Saturday its a habit. I wont lie, it kind of bugs me that worship is on Sunday, but if thats what i have to do to become hopefully a Marine, then i'll do what it takes.
Thanks

OB MSG
03-17-08, 12:56 PM
I'm not a Seventh-Day Adventist, but I do recall having a few recruits in my platoon who were.

Sunday is not so much a day of worship as a day to get away from the DI's for a bit. It doesn't matter what denomination or religion you are, the DI's want some down time and that's the only chance they have to get it while in the cycle (the 13 weeks they have to train you). Also, there is a strict program schedule that they have to follow, and right now it has Saturday as a training day and Sunday as an "off" day (don't get me wrong, there is always something going on on Sunday) and I don't see them changing that anytime soon.

Heck, I was born into the Catholic faith, but we, the church and I, took separate paths a long time ago. But while I was in Boot I went to Catholic services, why? Because of what I said earlier in this post. You may think it's hypocritical, but I'll save that debate for another forum.

Just remember this: Sunday to Sunday, Chow to Chow. That will get you through.

ExplicitReality
03-17-08, 01:18 PM
Thanks Marine
So there are different denominations you can go to on Sunday or is it strictly just one?

OB MSG
03-17-08, 01:24 PM
Yes there are, I was the Scribe for my Platoon so I had to make the list of which recruits were going to what services. (I don't recall how many there are.) If you are not the scribe, then standby and then talk to your Scribe when they have the info on what services are available and when. Other than that, you can pray or whatever in your own way until you graduate, then go from there.

The most pious man I've ever met was my Grandfather, and he only went to church when my Grandmother dragged him there for special days. Other than that he did his talking with god his own way.

ExplicitReality
03-17-08, 01:26 PM
Once again, thanks Marine for this info
take care!

SgtHopperUSMC
03-17-08, 03:57 PM
Just give me the sky overhead. I can pray anytime.;)

Wyoming
03-17-08, 04:01 PM

Amen Brother!!

Finger
03-17-08, 04:58 PM
As a recruit and later a DI, I found that quiet time between Taps and going to sleep the best time to speak to the Lord.

S/F
Finger

mgkusmc
03-17-08, 08:03 PM
Seventh Day Adventist does have services on Parris Island, but just like all religions on the Island it is observed on Sunday. Any type of religion you can think of can be worshipped on Parris Island, I was surprised that there was a large following of Wiccans when I was on the Island, so large they had two different services to accomadate everyone for their services.

SlingerDun
03-17-08, 08:58 PM
when you believe in something so much and have grown up since being little going to Church on Saturday its a habitOpportunistic behavioral patterns are common in most Marines and begin while still a recruit. Eat, drink, worship, burn tobacco if you got it etc... When opportunities arise you get after it, if they don't you wait. After boot camp you will learn to sleep or pray anywhere and often welcome the opportunity to do so. The rigid lifestyle is hard on old 'habits' and helps create a resilient non-procrastinator mentality. If you fail to seize the moment, it passes and you wait. and wait. Thats the way it is.

--->Dave

rvillac2
03-17-08, 11:43 PM
Amen, too.

I always found myself praying when we were in the pit. "please make him stop!"

davblay
03-18-08, 09:55 AM
I guess things have changed a lot since my day. In 1969 MCRDSD offered three services on Sunday morning, Catholic, Protestant and Jew! That's the way I remember it! The same was on your dog tags! Hrscowboy, FISTFU68 or jinelson may remember something else.

JMartinez
03-18-08, 03:41 PM
Explicit Reality,

I am a Seventh Day Adventist and I was in the Marine Corps for eight years. There were services when I went to Boot Camp in 1987. There was a group of about 10 SDA's when I was in Boot Camp. As soon as I got out of our Saturday worship service I was thrashed by my D.I.'s relentlessly. I can tell you this God gave me the will and power to withstand whatever punishment they through at me. When I went to NCO school in Okinawa I also passed the hardest PT that I ever faced in the Marine Corps. All my Instructors were former D.I.'s from P.I.(I am a Hollywood Marine) and they were not able to break me thanks to God. As a matter of fact I was able to run 19:45 in the three mile run in Boots and Utes while in NCO school. My run time in regular Marine green PT uniform was 18:20.:flag: Everything is possible with God on your side remember that everytime you feel like quitting. Nothing is impossible for God. If you need more information I can help you out. Semper Fi there Devil Pup! :usmc: :thumbup: Good Luck!