PDA

View Full Version : Bring What..?

cbaker1226
03-16-08, 09:34 PM
Hey Everyone! I'm leaving for bootcamp on the 23rd of March. My husband is a Marine, and has just hit his year mark. He's given me all the preperation he can muster but I still have questions that he just doesn't know the answers to. I've looked far and wide to find the answer - WHAT DO I BRING TO BOOTCAMP? All the internet has to offer (so far) has been for male recruits. They all say - NOTHING - nothing like no underwear.. no femine products? I have faith in y'all someone let me know!!
Thanks in advance

(I made this post on the poolee board first but I got the advice to ask a marine. Since my husband is a Marine I got differant treatment from my recruiter, he made the assumption that my Marine could tell me everything I needed to know so I don't have the welcome aboard packet that should tell me everything I need)

Wyoming
03-16-08, 10:22 PM
Methinks that some of our fine 4th Battalion Marines will be able to assist.

JordanB
03-17-08, 12:29 PM
you have to check in everything you bring with you, so its a lot easier to bring as little as possible. What you NEED is your social security card, drivers liscence, highschool diploma. Id also recomend bringing a big bottle of water and a powerbar for the bus cause they intentionally get you there tired and hungry and will keep you up for about 3 days straight, so catch as much sleep as you can before hand.

Tegan
03-17-08, 02:27 PM
as far as anything 'personal' its all issued. you have a gear locker in the head and thats where the shampoo, hair gel, hair pins and feminine products are. no individualism no matter how small you think it matters. everything from undies to sports bras to the good ol irish spring bar of soap gets issued to you. dont even think about make up, any kind of lotion, for you will be using cocoa butter for EVERYTHING. your better off taking a disposable toothbrush and any kind of paperwork thats required. if you do bring something you cant live without on your trip there, make sure you can fit it in a small backpack because all you get is a paper bag to put it all in. whatever is on your body you pack away til the end of bootcamp. leave your attitude at the door as well.. you dont need that neither does anyone else.

SgtHopperUSMC
03-17-08, 03:52 PM
Just show up.... They do the rest.:evilgrin:

Marine84
03-17-08, 08:37 PM
as far as anything 'personal' its all issued. you have a gear locker in the head and thats where the shampoo, hair gel, hair pins and feminine products are. no individualism no matter how small you think it matters. everything from undies to sports bras to the good ol irish spring bar of soap gets issued to you. dont even think about make up, any kind of lotion, for you will be using cocoa butter for EVERYTHING. your better off taking a disposable toothbrush and any kind of paperwork thats required. if you do bring something you cant live without on your trip there, make sure you can fit it in a small backpack because all you get is a paper bag to put it all in. whatever is on your body you pack away til the end of bootcamp. leave your attitude at the door as well.. you dont need that neither does anyone else.

WOW! We at least got to keep our own underwear! Everybody even left the Victoria's Secret stuff at home but, it wasn't issued. We also got to keep our tennis shoes but, that was about it. Everything else we came with got packed up and stored in some building.

whiskeytango7
03-17-08, 09:22 PM
Hey Everyone! I'm leaving for bootcamp on the 23rd of March. My husband is a Marine, and has just hit his year mark. He's given me all the preperation he can muster but I still have questions that he just doesn't know the answers to. I've looked far and wide to find the answer - WHAT DO I BRING TO BOOTCAMP? All the internet has to offer (so far) has been for male recruits. They all say - NOTHING - nothing like no underwear.. no femine products? I have faith in y'all someone let me know!!
Thanks in advance

(I made this post on the poolee board first but I got the advice to ask a marine. Since my husband is a Marine I got differant treatment from my recruiter, he made the assumption that my Marine could tell me everything I needed to know so I don't have the welcome aboard packet that should tell me everything I need)

Try this link to this forum. It is closed so you will not be able to ask any questions but it will give you an idea as to what to bring and not bring.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25168

BTW, you are leaving for the Island the same day as a young lady that I have been training to get her in shape to pass the IST. Her name is Amy

Tegan
03-18-08, 10:52 AM
yea... we didnt get to keep any of our personal clothing. we got plain white granny panties that we had to stencil our name on and plain sports bras. the shoes..... oh how i miss my new balance flat foot shoes..

Native Warrior
03-18-08, 11:03 AM
you penny anny whiners about your run fasters, hell I ran everyday on God's island in boots and never had a problem. We were allowed to buy $5 Red and Gold runners for the final PFT. These runners were basically a piece of hard plastic with thin cloth around the sides and top of the foot, no insoles or cushions. Just bring your back sides, anything else you need or deserve the Marine Corps will issue and if it's not issued, you don't need or deserve it.

:evilgrin:

Tegan
03-18-08, 11:09 AM
well.. i was being sarcastic about the shoes.. and im sure if we still had things in the Marine Corps, such as running in boots, the quality of Marines in the fleet would go up. Im not starting a conversation about that, but you know what im talking about..

Native Warrior
03-18-08, 11:14 AM
I totally got you Tegan, I was flipping sarcasim back. I wish I had Reeboks or Converse's back then, I would not have the leg and ankle problems I have today.

Marine84
03-18-08, 08:34 PM
yea... we didnt get to keep any of our personal clothing. we got plain white granny panties that we had to stencil our name on and plain sports bras. the shoes..... oh how i miss my new balance flat foot shoes..

Yeah, we were told to buy some plain stuff and had to stencil EVERYTHING!